Water tires experiment/need contributions

Phil, Squid-in-Training

Guest
I'm planning to fill up my tires with water to see what will happen. It's a
science experiment for RBT. It's obviously a work in progress.

ABSTRACT
TBD

OBJECTIVES
To determine the effects of riding on water-filled tires originally designed
to be pressurized with air.

THEORY
With water's virtual incompressibility, water-filled tires should exhibit a
harsher ride compared to air-filled tires. The ability to generate pressure
will also be hampered by its incompressibility, although inevitable air
pockets will allow pressurization.

PROCEDURE
Immerse hand pump in water, pull plunger, attach pump to valve stem, then
pump. Repeat until high pressure is acheived. Ride. Empty tubes of water.
Fill tubes with air. Ride. Compare.

RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
TBD

CONCLUSIONS
Pneumatic tires are pneumatic for a reason.

COMMENTS
To be filled in by RBT contributors.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Prediction: first big bump you blow the tire off the rim, to your
subsequent misfortune. The good news is you will land in a puddle.

Observation: you must have a lot of time on your hands.

I am curious to see how it turns out, though.

Mort

Hi,

> Prediction: first big bump you blow the tire off the rim, to your
> subsequent misfortune. The good news is you will land in a puddle.

Sounds fun ;-)

> Observation: you must have a lot of time on your hands.

Yeah.

> I am curious to see how it turns out, though.

That's true - and if you have some time left, try filling your tires
with foam - this could be an interesting experiment... Watch for
handling in normal operation and in case of pressure loss (puncture)...

Ciao.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> I'm planning to fill up my tires with water to see what will happen. It's a
> science experiment for RBT. It's obviously a work in progress.

It's already been done. See:
http://tinyurl.com/eal8d

Art Harris

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> I'm planning to fill up my tires with water to see what will happen. It's a
> science experiment for RBT. It's obviously a work in progress.
>
> ABSTRACT
> TBD
>
> OBJECTIVES
> To determine the effects of riding on water-filled tires originally designed
> to be pressurized with air.
>
> THEORY
> With water's virtual incompressibility, water-filled tires should exhibit a
> harsher ride compared to air-filled tires. The ability to generate pressure
> will also be hampered by its incompressibility, although inevitable air
> pockets will allow pressurization.
>
> PROCEDURE
> Immerse hand pump in water, pull plunger, attach pump to valve stem, then
> pump. Repeat until high pressure is acheived. Ride. Empty tubes of water.
> Fill tubes with air. Ride. Compare.
>
> RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
> TBD
>
> CONCLUSIONS
> Pneumatic tires are pneumatic for a reason.
>
> COMMENTS
> To be filled in by RBT contributors.
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

A friend of mine once left his trials bike at a different friend's
house overnight. As a prank, the second friend pumped the tires hard
with water. It took a while to fill the huge 26" tires, but once they
were full, the bike was impossibly heavy. We wanted to ride it, but we
didn't think we could get it up the steep, narrow stairs of the
basement. It rode sluggishly in the basement, but the tires stayed on
the rims just fine.

The owner of the bike wasn't amused, but it was in fact quite funny.

-Vee

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm planning to fill up my tires with water to see what will happen. It's a
>science experiment for RBT. It's obviously a work in progress.
>
>ABSTRACT
>TBD
>
>OBJECTIVES
>To determine the effects of riding on water-filled tires originally designed
>to be pressurized with air.
>
>THEORY
>With water's virtual incompressibility, water-filled tires should exhibit a
>harsher ride compared to air-filled tires. The ability to generate pressure
>will also be hampered by its incompressibility, although inevitable air
>pockets will allow pressurization.

While water is incompressible, the fact that the tire casing itself is
elastic will allow the water to displace when you hit a bump (think of
squeezing a long skinny balloon). My prediction is that the
difference in ride quality won't be all that dramatic, but will be
measurable.

>PROCEDURE
>Immerse hand pump in water, pull plunger, attach pump to valve stem, then
>pump. Repeat until high pressure is acheived. Ride. Empty tubes of water.
>Fill tubes with air. Ride. Compare.
>
>RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
>TBD
>
>CONCLUSIONS
>Pneumatic tires are pneumatic for a reason.
>
>COMMENTS
>To be filled in by RBT contributors.

Sounds like a fun experiment!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:21:04 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm planning to fill up my tires with water to see what will happen. It's a
>science experiment for RBT. It's obviously a work in progress.
>
>ABSTRACT
>TBD
>
>OBJECTIVES
>To determine the effects of riding on water-filled tires originally designed
>to be pressurized with air.
>
>THEORY
>With water's virtual incompressibility, water-filled tires should exhibit a
>harsher ride compared to air-filled tires.

I believe this will not be the case. The incompressibility of the
water is not a significant issue; bumps do not produce a dramatic
variance in tire pressure for several reasons.

> The ability to generate pressure
>will also be hampered by its incompressibility, although inevitable air
>pockets will allow pressurization.
>
>PROCEDURE
>Immerse hand pump in water, pull plunger, attach pump to valve stem, then
>pump. Repeat until high pressure is acheived. Ride. Empty tubes of water.
>Fill tubes with air. Ride. Compare.
>
>RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
>TBD
>
>CONCLUSIONS
>Pneumatic tires are pneumatic for a reason.
>
>COMMENTS
>To be filled in by RBT contributors.

It would be possible to pressurize with just water, but not as easy as
topping off with air. With water, however, the incompressibility
would mean that the pressure rise would occur much more abruptly, and
trying to measure the pressure with a conventional gauge would reduce
the pressure too much due to volume loss during the tap.

Here's what I expect that you'll see: The significant increase in
wheel mass will produce a noticeable effect on acceleration; it will
take more energy to get up to speed. The increased mass in the wheels
may actually smooth out the ride somewhat; precise pressure will make
more of a difference here than anything else, but a high-mass wheel
will tend to absorb more of an obstacle's potential deflection via
deformation of the tire than through motion of the whole wheel,
everything else being equal. (And that, of course, is a really hard
condition to meet.)

If I'm correct about the effects of the increased mass, snakebite
punctures would become slightly more likely, but less immediately
effective; the much higher viscosity of the water will greatly reduce
the leak-down rate with the result that the puncture may not even be
detected until the ride is over...if a snakebite occurs.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

One thing everyone is neglecting to consider are the laws of fluid
dynamics.

1) the water will behave more and more like a solid and the volume of
the tire (not the tube) is approached. Werehatrack noted that the
pressure increase would be abrupt. This is certainly true, and the
limited expandability of the tire will make it exceptionally more hard
as you try to force more water in. However, the flexibility of the tire
wall will allow only for a certain level of compliance. I'm thinkin'
you won't get no stinkin' snakebites.

2) since water is in fact a fluid, as you accelerate, the mass of water
in the tube will attempt to stay stationary. This will have a massive
braking effect, much greater than the influence of greater weight. As
you eventually get the rotational mass moving, you will experience a
significant hydraulic flywheel effect. This is the same technology that
is used in torque converters for automatic transmissions. The effect of
the spinning hydaulic fluid keeps the vehicle speed differential to a
minimum. Performance cars tend to use smaller torque converters to
allow for quicker throttle response, while luxury cars tend to use
larger torque converters to mask the shifts and variations in engine
speed associated with them. Therefore, the rotating fluid in the tires
would help to overcome the effects on rolling resistance and help the
bike keep moving, as well reduce braking performance and acceleration.

http://www.specriteconverters.com/

On 19 Apr 2006 07:32:34 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Performance cars tend to use smaller torque converters to
>allow for quicker throttle response, while luxury cars tend to use
>larger torque converters to mask the shifts and variations in engine
>speed associated with them.

Cause and effect getting confused here, among other things.
Performance cars use smaller converters because they're lighter;
reducing all types of mass is one of the keys to getting improved
performance in a motor vehicle. Reducing the rotating mass in the
dirvetrain increases acceleration potential. Big cars use big
converters because big converters are cheaper to make than small ones
that can do the same job; if you don't have to keep the tolerances as
tight, and you don't need to worry about weight as much, the bigger
converter is the better choice. It also takes longer to overheat in a
high-load situation. None of this has a lot of relevance to the
current discussion beyond the fact that the water-filled tire will
mean that the wheel's inertia will increase, with the accompanying
predictable effects. The fluid will, at these levels of acceleration,
behave enough like a solid that the hydralic effects can be ignored.
This is not true in automotive drivetrains.

>Therefore, the rotating fluid in the tires
>would help to overcome the effects on rolling resistance and help the
>bike keep moving, as well reduce braking performance and acceleration.

I'd have phrased that differently; "...help keep the bike moving, but
in the process reduce braking performance and increase the effort
required to get the same acceleration."

If the test is with road tires, I think the effects will not be
dramatic. If the test is with fat cruiser tires, I expect that it
would be more noticeable.
--

Werehatrack wrote:

"Big cars use big
converters because big converters are cheaper to make than small ones
that can do the same job; if you don't have to keep the tolerances as
tight, and you don't need to worry about weight as much, the bigger
converter is the better choice."

not true at all. If the cost was main factor then economy cars would
use big torque converters, and car makers would certainly find a way to
stuff the cheaper part in. Cost is not the the factor. People that buy
luxury cars dont want to feel the the engine shift, so the torque
converters are big. People that buy performance cars don't care if they
feel the engine shift, and in most cases prefer it, so the converters
are smaller, but no less expensive. People that buy cheap economy cars
don't expect performance or smoothness, so the converters are cheap and
light. This, I realize, is a gross oversimplification but without
getting into the technical details of torque converter design will have
to do.

"None of this has a lot of relevance to the
current discussion beyond the fact that the water-filled tire will
mean that the wheel's inertia will increase, with the accompanying
predictable effects. The fluid will, at these levels of acceleration,
behave enough like a solid that the hydralic effects can be ignored."

Again, not true at all. Try this experiment: Fill two identicle round
bottles with water. Freeze one of them. Place them next to each other
on an incline plane and see which one accelerates faster. If the plane
is long enough to evoke the entire mass of liquid water to spin, then
you could see which one goes futher after the end of the incline. If
the liquid gives the same results as the solid, then the laws of
physics are different in your part of the universe than everywhere
else. Besides that, how would one make the determination that the fluid
dynamic effects are insignificant through empiracle testing? You would
need solid tires of approximately the same density of water to make
that comparison. Otherwise, the fluid dynamic effects will be there,
and must be accounted for. These accelerations are slow enough to
actually calcualte the effect of fluids with different viscosites.

"If the test is with road tires, I think the effects will not be
dramatic. If the test is with fat cruiser tires, I expect that it
would be more noticeable"

This is true.

mort wrote:
> Prediction: first big bump you blow the tire off the rim, to your
> subsequent misfortune. The good news is you will land in a puddle.

Actually, since the water won't compress, it won't be a violent
failure. I use water to pressure test water rockets: fill the launcher
and rocket completely with water, then pressurize with air. If there is
a failure, there's so little air in the system that there's very little
danger -- even with shard-danger stuff like PVC in the mix.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'd be interested to see the pressure in the water filled tire when
> loaded/unloaded.

I think this could be checked without effecting the pressure to much
with the following setup:

-Drill a 2nd valve stem hole somewhere on the rim.
-Install two flat tubes into the tire next to each other.
-Pump a minimal amount of air into the one tube. Maybe just barely
enough to seat the tire beads on the rim.
-Fill the other tube with water and pressurize for the experiment.
-Check the pressure in the air tube.

-Mike

On 19 Apr 2006 09:33:10 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I'd be interested to see the pressure in the water filled tire when
>loaded/unloaded.

That would be hard to measure without leaving the gauge hooked up, for
reasons already mentioned.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 19 Apr 2006 09:54:33 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>
>"Big cars use big
>converters because big converters are cheaper to make than small ones
>that can do the same job; if you don't have to keep the tolerances as
>tight, and you don't need to worry about weight as much, the bigger
>converter is the better choice."
>
>not true at all. If the cost was main factor then economy cars would
>use big torque converters,

Actually, some small cars *do* use a bigger TC than they really need.
Often this is because the carmaker decides that it's not worth the
expense to tool up to make a smaller unit when there is an existing
design in production that will serve adequately. On occasion, as in
the celebrated suit against GM decades ago, this sort of reasoning
also results in a carmaker using a TC that's really not as big as it
ought to be.

>and car makers would certainly find a way to
>stuff the cheaper part in.

There are multiple costs to pay for having a big TC; today, one
significant reason to avoid a larger TC than needed is that the
overall drivetrain width and weight needs to be kept down. But for
that matter, look at what was in the Vega; the TCs in those were much
larger than needed precisely because it was cheaper to use what was on
the shelf than to design new bits for the application. Where the
makers can get away with using cheap-but-heavy, they do it. The
Gremlin and the Pacer epitomized that philosophy end-to-end.

>Cost is not the the factor. People that buy
>luxury cars dont want to feel the the engine shift, so the torque
>converters are big. People that buy performance cars don't care if they
>feel the engine shift, and in most cases prefer it, so the converters
>are smaller, but no less expensive.

Actually, the performance-car converters are smaller and *more*
expensive. Making it smaller, for the same power-handling, generally
means it can't be made as cheaply.

>People that buy cheap economy cars
>don't expect performance or smoothness, so the converters are cheap and
>light.

Huh? You ever sell cars for a living? Lots of cheap economy cars
have smooth shifting.

>This, I realize, is a gross oversimplification but without
>getting into the technical details of torque converter design will have
>to do.

Having had to deal with the technical details of TC design a couple of
times, the reason that small economy cars have small converters is
that they don't need a bigger one; a smaller unit does the job just
fine for a low-output motor. The TC's slippage isn't the big reason
that the shifting is damped well in luxury cars or any other cars for
that matter; that's also a product of the sheer mass of the vehicle,
the tuning of the valve body, the choice of friction materials for the
clutches, the use of good isolation mounts, and the choice of a low
stall speed for the converter. GM sold a lot of mid-price and even
inexpensive cars for a long time on the strength of the fact that
their THM unit's typical valving was so well designed that it damped
the shift effects beautifully, "just like a Cadillac". Even in a
ratbox bottom-of-the-line Chevy. On the other hand, to make a small
converter do the work of a big one requires much closer engineering of
the components and mandates the use of better materials; this
increases the cost *without* improving the end result relative to the
big converter in any area except weight. Cost is important to
manufacturers; you don't spend money where you don't need to. So, for
a big car with a big mass, a big engine, and no weight issues, you use
a big but cheaply manufacturable converter; for a small car with a big
engine and no performance issues, you still use a (relatively) big
converter; if the performance issues are important, you spend the
money to make a smaller converter do the job. Small non-performance
cars can use smaller versions of the cheap-to-make big-car converters,
and they generally are so equipped. Over the last 40 years, TC design
has improved considerably overall in response to the need for improved
fuel economy, but the biggest gain was with the lockup converter,
where the TC is taken out of the picture as anything more than a
flywheel. (And that brings us to the other reason for using a big TC
in a luxury car; a big flywheel makes for a smoother-feeling
drivetrain in any event.)

>"None of this has a lot of relevance to the
>current discussion beyond the fact that the water-filled tire will
>mean that the wheel's inertia will increase, with the accompanying
>predictable effects. The fluid will, at these levels of acceleration,
>behave enough like a solid that the hydralic effects can be ignored."
>
>Again, not true at all. Try this experiment: Fill two identicle round
>bottles with water. Freeze one of them.

Poor simulation. Try it with a narrow torus of significant diameter.
The magnitude of the resulting difference will change quite a bit. At
bike wheel sizes, speeds and accelerations, I suspect you won't see a
difference at all.

>Place them next to each other
>on an incline plane and see which one accelerates faster. If the plane
>is long enough to evoke the entire mass of liquid water to spin, then
>you could see which one goes futher after the end of the incline. If
>the liquid gives the same results as the solid, then the laws of
>physics are different in your part of the universe than everywhere
>else. Besides that, how would one make the determination that the fluid
>dynamic effects are insignificant through empiracle testing? You would
>need solid tires of approximately the same density of water to make
>that comparison. Otherwise, the fluid dynamic effects will be there,
>and must be accounted for. These accelerations are slow enough to
>actually calcualte the effect of fluids with different viscosites.

The jar of water has the fluid mass at the center of rotation; there
is no impetus to put it into angular motion except the surface effects
of the rotation of the jar, which are minimized in a cylinder of
significant diameter. This isn't all that similar to the effect with
a small-volume toroid, where the fluid is much more likely to move
with the containing vessel. At any given point in the torus, the
fluid sees much more of the local effect of the wheel's motion.

Torque converters are a different matter; they work in a range where
hydraulic effects are the goal. The bike wheel at typical speeds and
accelerations will not go there.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

In article <FQj1g.3545$B42.2406@dukeread05>,
"Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm planning to fill up my tires with water to see what will happen. It's a
> science experiment for RBT. It's obviously a work in progress.
>
> ABSTRACT
> TBD
>
> OBJECTIVES
> To determine the effects of riding on water-filled tires originally designed
> to be pressurized with air.
>
> THEORY
> With water's virtual incompressibility, water-filled tires should exhibit a
> harsher ride compared to air-filled tires. The ability to generate pressure
> will also be hampered by its incompressibility, although inevitable air
> pockets will allow pressurization.
>
> PROCEDURE
> Immerse hand pump in water, pull plunger, attach pump to valve stem, then
> pump. Repeat until high pressure is acheived. Ride. Empty tubes of water.
> Fill tubes with air. Ride. Compare.
>
> RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
> TBD
>
> CONCLUSIONS
> Pneumatic tires are pneumatic for a reason.
>
> COMMENTS
> To be filled in by RBT contributors.

You will find the rolling resistance is very, very great,
because of viscous losses in the water as it flows to
conform to the constantly moving contact patch deformation
of the tire.

--
Michael Press

wrote:

>I'm planning to fill up my tires with water to see what will happen. It's a
>science experiment for RBT. It's obviously a work in progress.
>
>ABSTRACT
>TBD
>
>OBJECTIVES
>To determine the effects of riding on water-filled tires originally designed
>to be pressurized with air.
>
>THEORY
>With water's virtual incompressibility, water-filled tires should exhibit a
>harsher ride compared to air-filled tires. The ability to generate pressure
>will also be hampered by its incompressibility, although inevitable air
>pockets will allow pressurization.
>
>PROCEDURE
>Immerse hand pump in water, pull plunger, attach pump to valve stem, then
>pump. Repeat until high pressure is acheived. Ride. Empty tubes of water.
>Fill tubes with air. Ride. Compare.
>
>RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
>TBD
>
>CONCLUSIONS
>Pneumatic tires are pneumatic for a reason.
>
>COMMENTS
>To be filled in by RBT contributors.

Dear Phil,

These guys offer the equipment that you want:

http://www.gemplers.com/a/pages/tliq.asp

Unfortunately, they don't do Presta.

Their findings include vastly improved pulling traction,
better stability when crossing slopes, and the anti-freeze
benefits of calcium chloride.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Werehatrack wrote:

"Actually, some small cars *do* use a bigger TC than they really need.
Often this is because the carmaker decides that it's not worth the
expense to tool up to make a smaller unit when there is an existing
design in production that will serve adequately."

Key words: 'serve adequately'. Generally speaking, manufacturers of any
product will spec in the cheapest part that does the job, but when you
plan on selling over a million units per year, it's often in your best
interest to optimize the design and reduce the risk of warrenty
returns. Still some mfrs don't quite get that message and risk the cost
savings, sometimes versus safety.

"Actually, the performance-car converters are smaller and *more*
expensive. Making it smaller, for the same power-handling, generally
means it can't be made as cheaply. "

yeah, that's what I said...

"Huh? You ever sell cars for a living? Lots of cheap economy cars
have smooth shifting. "

I didn't say they didn't, I said people don't expect it. HAving drove
cheap cars for most of my life, I can say that even when they do shift
well, they don't for long.

"Having had to deal with the technical details of TC design a couple of

times"

Oh, the irony.....(FWIW - my experience with torque converters stems
from my attempts at amatuer drag racing)

"the reason that small economy cars have small converters is
that they don't need a bigger one; a smaller unit does the job just
fine for a low-output motor"

Again, I said that.

"The TC's slippage isn't the big reason...

(This is why I didn't want to get into a technical discussion on torque
converter design)

smooth shifting is of course achieved through more than just flywheel
damping, just as performance shifting is achieved through significantly
more than a small converter. A cheap tranmission with a poorly designed
valve body and crappy torque converter will shift poorly, regardless of
size. The turbohydromatic was a spectacular leap in automatic
transmission design, as you point out. The 400 was what I used as the
base in my olds 442, modified with a competition valve body and 2500RPM
'holeshot' torque converter.

"(And that brings us to the other reason for using a big TC
in a luxury car; a big flywheel makes for a smoother-feeling
drivetrain in any event.) "

Thank you for re-making my point.

"Try it with a narrow torus of significant diameter.
The magnitude of the resulting difference will change quite a bit. At
bike wheel sizes, speeds and accelerations, I suspect you won't see a
difference at all."

I suspect you will.

"At any given point in the torus, the
fluid sees much more of the local effect of the wheel's motion."

Right, and therefore more a immediately noticable effect on
acceleration.

"The bike wheel at typical speeds and
accelerations will not go there."

I still think it would have more effect than you realize. But remember,
this is some sort of stupid experiment with absolutely no practical
outcome performed by a guy with waaaaaaay to much time on his hands,
Sort of like these dweebs:

*
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

Introduction -
It has long been suspected that the government has been using
satellites to read and control the minds of certain citizens. The use
of aluminum helmets has been a common guerrilla tactic against the
government's invasive tactics.
*

>That would be hard to measure without leaving the gauge hooked up, for
>reasons already mentioned

No problem. You don't have to ride the bike to load the tire.