Water water ...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Darren G, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    [email protected] (RJ Webb) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    [...]
    >>It's probably due to several years working in the water industry
    >>analysing the levels of anamial by-products, bacteria and pesticides
    >>present in water (and that's drinking water), but I tend to be a
    >>little hesitant about filling up from streams

    > Well taps are rare in most glens (clearances you know) and its bloody
    > nice water.... After 25 years I am due a lurgy - so I am up on the
    > game now...
    >
    > After 16 years of poisoned tap water in the English Midlands, I prefer
    > to take my chance with the burns...

    You may have a point!

    A few bacteria may well be a better option than oodles of chlorine &
    flouride :)

  2. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    "Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    [...]
    > Bottled water is one of the biggest rip offs there is. What's wrong
    > with tap water?

    depends on where abouts you are in the country, and if you like eau de
    chlorine.

    Darren

  3. On 7 Aug 2004 21:13:50 GMT, Darren G <[email protected]> wrote:

    | [email protected] (RJ Webb) wrote in
    | news:[email protected]:
    |
    | [...]
    | >>
    | >>It's probably due to several years working in the water industry
    | >>analysing the levels of anamial by-products, bacteria and pesticides
    | >>present in water (and that's drinking water), but I tend to be a
    | >>little hesitant about filling up from streams
    | >
    | > Well taps are rare in most glens (clearances you know) and its bloody
    | > nice water.... After 25 years I am due a lurgy - so I am up on the
    | > game now...
    | >
    | > After 16 years of poisoned tap water in the English Midlands, I prefer
    | > to take my chance with the burns...
    |
    | You may have a point!
    |
    | A few bacteria may well be a better option than oodles of chlorine &
    | flouride :)

    We tried that until the Victorian era. The death rate was rather high.

    Dave F

  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Darren G <[email protected]> wrote
    >"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >

    >[...]
    >>
    >> Bottled water is one of the biggest rip offs there is. What's wrong
    >> with tap water?
    >>

    >depends on where abouts you are in the country, and if you like eau de
    >chlorine.

    Bottled water doesn't turn black when those workmen open up the hydrant
    on your road and start drawing off gallons of water for their corncreet.

    I occasionally drink tap water, but usually after processing it in my
    kettle.
    --
    Gordon

  5. Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > Bernie Hughes <[email protected]> writes:

    >>But there's surely a difference between 'needing' water & benefiting in
    >>a measurable way (in terms of health, concentration or whatever) from
    >>drinking more water?

    > Well, if there is, why hasn't evolution, which is very good at that
    > kind of thing, found these benefits and adjusted our thirst machinery?
    > Water isn't something recently invented by the food industry which
    > evolution hasn't had enough time to adapt to.

    Because our appetites are the largely the product of social factors &
    have precious little to do with evolution.

    > On the other hand, being able to persuade people they need to buy and
    > drink as much expensively bottled water as they can glug down must be
    > a businessman's fantasy come true!

    I've no argument with that. I always take tap water in my bottle.

    Bernie

  6. Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >>Because our appetites are the largely the product of social factors &
    >>have precious little to do with evolution.

    > I've never come across that view before, and it's counter to
    > everything I've learned. Can you point me to a book or paper which
    > argues that view, at least with respect to thirst?

    Unfortunately not, because it only occurred to me yesterday :).

    I don't mean to suggest that the basic symptoms of thirst, hunger etc
    are social products, obviously not, they are inherent to our biological
    condition. But our own /experience/ of these appetites is so bound up
    with social factors that we find it very difficult to separate the
    'experience' of thirst from the 'fact' of thirst itself.

    As a simple example, I feel hungry every day at 12:50. I suspect that
    this has very little to do with evolution (in the sense of the
    biological need for nutrition) and a great deal to do with the fact that
    I've eaten lunch at 1pm every for 9 years.

    I suspect that the feelings of thirst experienced by the average
    hillwalker are deeply affected by personal conditioning. If I've walked
    every Sunday for 10 years with only a single pint of water for company,
    then I might well believe that taking 2 pints would be a waste of time.
    But the biological fact that the human body working under stress
    performs better if water is in plentiful supply is axiomatic, no matter
    how deeply felt my personal resistance might be.

    Bernie

  7. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:15:25 +0100, Roger <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I wish you well on Scafell.

    And verily, it was hot, and much liquid was imbibed...

    The top of Scafell Pike was like Piccadilly Circus. Shame it doesn't have
    any similar simple elegance, bloody stone constructions all over the place.

    Scafell was better - just our group having lunch there, and Great End was a
    worthwhile extra peak for the views back down Wasdale, over Great Gable, and
    up Borrowdale all the way to Keswick.

    --
    It takes years to get used to how old you are.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  8. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:28:14 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:40:58 +0100, John Laird
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >[...]
    >>Indeed. Perhaps the most remarkable observation about that phenomenon is
    >>that women took it. I can't get a woman to agree with anything I suggest...

    >Oh, I dunno... I think that's a bit harsh!

    Harsh on who ?

    --
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  9. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:48:26 +0100, Bernie Hughes
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >John Laird wrote:
    >
    >> A fluid intake of 2-3 pints is not that hard to achieve, assuming you count
    >> the water content of most food too. However, to say that most people are
    >> dehydrated most of the time is frankly ridiculous, and we have been round
    >> this argument before (started with the 8 glasses a day last time, iirc).
    >> Millions of years of evolution are not likely to have resulted in an animal
    >> that drinks when it is thirsty, doesn't when it isn't, and yet is somehow
    >> dehydrated. Only athletes need to plan ahead and compensate for extreme
    >> exertion. The rest of us need only drink when we feel the need.

    >But there's surely a difference between 'needing' water & benefiting in
    >a measurable way (in terms of health, concentration or whatever) from
    >drinking more water?

    Can't think of a good reason why that should be so. It'd be like suggesting
    extra vitamins or minerals were worthwhile (oh hang on...)

    Your body will use what it needs and excrete any surplus. I pee quite
    frequently enough and it looks fine to my untrained eye, but I almost never
    drink fluids just for the sake of it during the average, not too strenuous,
    work day. I drink when I feel somewhat thirsty. When it's hot I naturally
    get thirstier more often. This simple feedback mechanism seems to work fine
    without a bunch of semi-qualified "gurus" pointing out non-existent
    deficiencies. (That's nothing personal in this forum by the way.)

    --
    A little inaccuracy saves a lot of explanation.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  10. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:35:57 +0100, John Laird
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:28:14 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:40:58 +0100, John Laird
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>[...]
    >>>Indeed. Perhaps the most remarkable observation about that phenomenon is
    >>>that women took it. I can't get a woman to agree with anything I suggest...

    >>Oh, I dunno... I think that's a bit harsh!

    >Harsh on who ?

    It was a wee jokey.... you snipped my smiley. (Maybe you were joking
    too!)

    Best wishes,
    --
    Peewiglet

  11. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:41:18 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:35:57 +0100, John Laird
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:28:14 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:40:58 +0100, John Laird
    >>><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>[...]
    >>>
    >>>Oh, I dunno... I think that's a bit harsh!

    >>Harsh on who ?

    >It was a wee jokey.... you snipped my smiley. (Maybe you were joking
    >too!)

    Indeed I was.

    --
    Psychic Convention cancelled due to unforeseen problems.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  12. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:00:59 +0100, John Laird
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Harsh on who ?

    >>It was a wee jokey.... you snipped my smiley. (Maybe you were joking
    >>too!)

    >Indeed I was.

    Well that's not how it looked to me...

    ;-)

    Best wishes,
    --
    Peewiglet

  13. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:34:44 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>>It was a wee jokey.... you snipped my smiley. (Maybe you were joking
    >>>too!)

    >>Indeed I was.

    >Well that's not how it looked to me...

    <grin>
    That's because you come from Venus and I come from Mars.

    --
    If the good die young, then I'm gonna live forever.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  14. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    John Laird wrote:

    > That's because you come from Venus and I come from Mars.

    Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars, and Pop Psychology is from
    Uranus... ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  15. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:28:04 +0100, John Laird
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Indeed I was.

    >>Well that's not how it looked to me...

    ><grin>
    >That's because you come from Venus and I come from Mars.

    Tee hee...

    Hey!!! I thought it was the other way round??

    hehehehe.....

    Best wishes,
    --
    Peewiglet

  16. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:38:36 +0100, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >John Laird wrote:
    >
    >> That's because you come from Venus and I come from Mars.

    >Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars, and Pop Psychology is from
    >Uranus... ;-)

    Parp !

    --
    Sometimes I wish I could get a mirror with a better view.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  17. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:42:52 +0100, Steve Orrell wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:57:30 +0100, John Laird
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>>Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars, and Pop Psychology is from
    >>>Uranus... ;-)

    >>Parp !
    >>
    >>--
    >>Sometimes I wish I could get a mirror with a better view.

    >no, no, nooooo! please noooo!!
    >
    >Tell me that random sig generator of yours hasn't developed a sense of
    >self and appends according to topic content????

    I occasionally remove particularly inappropriate sigs, but when a beauty
    comes along you should see the grin on my face when I hit "Send" :)

    Serendipity is the word, I think.

    --
    How do they get teflon to stick to the pans?

  18. John Laird wrote:

    >>But there's surely a difference between 'needing' water & benefiting in
    >>a measurable way (in terms of health, concentration or whatever) from
    >>drinking more water?

    > Can't think of a good reason why that should be so

    In the same way that you could /survive/ for a long period of time on
    nothing but chips, but would benefit in a measurable way (i.e. feel
    better, be fitter & walk further)from a mixed diet.

    > Your body will use what it needs and excrete any surplus.

    Your body will use what it's given.

    I pee quite
    > frequently enough and it looks fine to my untrained eye, but I almost never
    > drink fluids just for the sake of it during the average, not too strenuous,
    > work day. I drink when I feel somewhat thirsty. When it's hot I naturally
    > get thirstier more often. This simple feedback mechanism seems to work fine

    Isn't it likely that the 'feedback mechanism' will be shaped to some
    extent by a lifetime's habit?

    > without a bunch of semi-qualified "gurus" pointing out non-existent
    > deficiencies.

    The fact that some snake-oil salesmen make a great deal of money from
    promoting bottled water in no way negates the basic fact the many of us
    would benefit from greater water consumption. Does the surfeit of
    'lifestyle' gurus who make a fortune telling us that smoking, drinking
    to excess, eating junk food, avoiding exercise, are all bad for us make
    these truths any less pertinent?

    (That's nothing personal in this forum by the way.)

    Naturally! :)

    Bernie

  19. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bernie Hughes
    <[email protected]> writes
    >> Your body will use what it needs and excrete any surplus.

    >Your body will use what it's given.

    But if you haven't given it enough, it will take water from various
    vital organs causing dehydration and darkening the colour of your urine
    - not a good thing.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  20. On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:36:40 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    | In article <[email protected]>, Bernie Hughes
    | <[email protected]> writes
    | >> Your body will use what it needs and excrete any surplus.
    | >
    | >Your body will use what it's given.
    |
    | But if you haven't given it enough, it will take water from various
    | vital organs causing dehydration

    After a few days *without* water

    | and darkening the colour of your urine

    which causes not other effects.