Water While Riding

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Psycl'nFizicist, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Psycl'nFizicist

Psycl'nFizicist New Member

Stupid question, but I would like to know what exactly I'm doing to myself when I go out for 15-20mi w/o a bottle? How soon after I start the ride would I expect the lack of hydration to take its affect? I'm just curious...

Psycli'nFizicist

Tags:

2. keydates

keydates New Member

It isn't good to bike 15-20 miles without fluids. You'll probably notice that you're going slower or at least feel like you're working harder to maintain the same pace. Nausea, cramps, dry mouth, beet-red face, may be symptoms of dehydration. Depending on intensity and outside temperature, you should take in about 1-2 bottles an hour.

3. Postie

Postie New Member

In any endurance sports, the rule of thumb is usually, "if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated". That point will very a lot based on your weight, build, level of fitness, outside temperature, etc.

It's not easy to drink so you don't get thirsty but that's where the sport drinks really come in handy. With the added sodium they do a worse job of quenching your thirst and, hence, keeping your consumption up. Of course that's only one of their advantages.

As mentioned earlier, 1 liter an hour (1 - 2 bottles depending on the bottle) is often the recommended amount.

4. shming123

shming123 New Member

what do you guys do when you ride for longer distances? I have 2 water bottles on my bike and during my harder rides, especially on hotter days, i feel like i need more water anything over about 2 hours. I feel like if my ride is about that or longer, i don't drink as much at the beginning so i can save some for later and i feel like its sooo hard to conserve water when your so thirsty. What do you guys do for more water? (i really don't want to stop in the middle of my ride.) How do you guys carry more water? (excluding those camelback things).

5. Jon Packard

Jon Packard New Member

For long rides, I take a 2 liter camelback with water in it and a water bottle filled with a sports drink on the bike. The sports drink helps your body absorb fluids better, and the camelback makes it convenient to drink often.

6. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

isotonic gels, and stop at a garage and buy some drinks. Alternatively, i sometimes do say a 2hrs loop that goes past my house and just pick the bottles up as i cycle past

7. dhk

dhk New Member

Stop at roadside convenient stores about once an hour to replenish water and Gatorade. I never want to be in the conservation mode, since I've learned that good hydration so important in the heat to keep my HR down. I consume about 2-3 bottles of water for each bottle of Gatorade.

I'll buy bottled water and/or Gatorade, drink a good portion while they're cold, and then top off my bottles or share the rest. Nothing tastes better than cold spring water on a hot day.

8. Pandora Babette

Pandora Babette New Member

Prevent being thirsty in the first place, keep yourself hydrated throughout the entire day... when you're thirsty, it's already "too late", so to speak.

This also (especially) counts during exercise.

9. bwalt17

bwalt17 New Member

I usually drink some water before I go out on my bike. And usually take 2 bottles with me. I'm considering getting a camelback. Should I?

10. dhk

dhk New Member

Some guys I ride with use them for long, unsupported rides, where you may have to go a couple of hours between water refills. I prefer not to carry the extra weight on my back and just keep two bottles filled up at rest stops (one water, one Gatorade). Also I like to help out the little country stores by buying bottled water and Gatorade from them....they seem to appreciate us bike riders as regular customers.

11. dmkaye

dmkaye New Member

Aren't the sports drinks filled with carbs? I'm trying to lower carb intake. Any suggestions?

Dmkaye

12. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

you need carbs to fuel your riding, it's where the majority of your energy is derived from. if you stop carbs while riding then your performance dcreases.

ric

13. Rythym

Rythym New Member

i was just wondering how you guys carry two bottles. my bike only has one bottle holder. thanks

Alex

14. dmkaye

dmkaye New Member

I have 3 bikes, and all have 2 water bottle cages.

dmk

15. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

Your body can only absorb 16+ ounces of water an hour. You should really try to be hydrated BEFORE you go on the ride. After an hour on the bike, you should get off the water and go for something like Accelerade. Stay away from the Gatorade as it's usually too much sugar. Power gel works well too. Try to sip every five minutes and don't overindulge.

16. Rythym

Rythym New Member

Where can other bottle cages be mounted usally? thanks

Alex

17. keydates

keydates New Member

seat tube, maybe under top tube. You might even be able to put a cage on the bottom of the down tube. I think I've seen that done, although not quite sure.