Water

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by pvd, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. pvd

    pvd Guest

    How much should we drink each day?

    I have searched around on the net a little, only to find contradictions all
    over the place, 8-12 glasses, 7-8 glasses, etc, so which is correct?

    The net is useful, especially when you have a load of experts on a newsgroup
    :)

    Thanks again m8's

    Sin

    Tags:

  2. Helgi Briem

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:39:40 -0000, "pvd" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How much should we drink each day?
    >
    >I have searched around on the net a little, only to find
    > contradictions all over the place, 8-12 glasses, 7-8 glasses,
    >etc, so which is correct?

    You see 7-8 glasses as contradicting 8-12 glasses?

    Well of course it has no relation to your bodyweight,
    bodyfat percentage, glass size or anything.

    You must drink precisely 8.65 standard size 33.3ml
    glasses of water in every 24 hour period or you will die in
    horrible agony.

    Be sure you get organic water of course.

    --
    Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

  3. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Helgi Briem" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "pvd" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>How much should we drink each day?
    >>
    >>I have searched around on the net a little, only to find
    >> contradictions all over the place, 8-12 glasses, 7-8 glasses,
    >>etc, so which is correct?

    > You see 7-8 glasses as contradicting 8-12 glasses?
    >
    > Well of course it has no relation to your bodyweight,
    > bodyfat percentage, glass size or anything.
    >
    > You must drink precisely 8.65 standard size 33.3ml
    > glasses of water in every 24 hour period or you will die in
    > horrible agony.
    >
    > Be sure you get organic water of course.

    Organic OXYGENATED water!

    David

  4. Helgi Briem

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:37:43 GMT, "David Cohen"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Helgi Briem" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> "pvd" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>How much should we drink each day?
    >>>
    >>>I have searched around on the net a little, only to find
    >>> contradictions all over the place, 8-12 glasses, 7-8 glasses,
    >>>etc, so which is correct?

    >> You see 7-8 glasses as contradicting 8-12 glasses?
    >>
    >> Well of course it has no relation to your bodyweight,
    >> bodyfat percentage, glass size or anything.
    >>
    >> You must drink precisely 8.65 standard size 33.3ml
    >> glasses of water in every 24 hour period or you will die in
    >> horrible agony.
    >>
    >> Be sure you get organic water of course.

    >Organic OXYGENATED water!

    Of course. That goes without saying.

    --
    Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

  5. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Helgi Briem" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> You see 7-8 glasses as contradicting 8-12 glasses?
    >>>
    >>> Well of course it has no relation to your bodyweight,
    >>> bodyfat percentage, glass size or anything.
    >>>
    >>> You must drink precisely 8.65 standard size 33.3ml
    >>> glasses of water in every 24 hour period or you will die in
    >>> horrible agony.
    >>>
    >>> Be sure you get organic water of course.

    >>Organic OXYGENATED water!

    > Of course. That goes without saying.

    Apparently not. Cause I did.

    I have never been able to relate in any way to the personality type that
    requires precise directions to all aspects of life. "Drink plenty of water"
    would be fine for me. "Eat less, exercise more" works well, but drives most
    people nuts. To the financial benefit of every silly infomercial diet.

    Did have a baby die from severe hyponatremia due to the parents feeding it a
    lot of water, so, "plenty of water" isn't universally good.

    Wouldn't have happened with organic oxygenated water.

    Oops, did it again. Sorry.

    David

  6. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    pvd wrote:
    > How much should we drink each day?
    >
    > I have searched around on the net a little, only to find contradictions all
    > over the place, 8-12 glasses, 7-8 glasses, etc, so which is correct?
    >
    > The net is useful, especially when you have a load of experts on a newsgroup
    > :)
    >
    > Thanks again m8's
    >
    > Sin

    I found that three litres a day keeps my body healthy and happy. Now
    it's a minimum, being on cyclosporine and desferal. I refill 1 L or 1.5L
    bottles in the morning and make sure I go through them all over the
    course of a day (and other drinks don't count). I also replace the
    bottles pretty regularly.

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  7. Will Brink

    Will Brink Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Helgi Briem" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>"Helgi Briem" <[email protected]> wrote

    > >>Organic OXYGENATED water!

    > > Of course. That goes without saying.

    > Apparently not. Cause I did.
    >
    > I have never been able to relate in any way to the personality type that
    > requires precise directions to all aspects of life. "Drink plenty of water"
    > would be fine for me. "Eat less, exercise more" works well, but drives most
    > people nuts. To the financial benefit of every silly infomercial diet.
    >
    > Did have a baby die from severe hyponatremia due to the parents feeding it a
    > lot of water, so, "plenty of water" isn't universally good.

    Wha???How much water do you have to feed a baby to actually kill it??!!
    Did they just force feed the kid?

    --
    Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

  8. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Will Brink" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > Of course. That goes without saying.

    >> Apparently not. Cause I did.
    >>
    >> I have never been able to relate in any way to the personality type that
    >> requires precise directions to all aspects of life. "Drink plenty of
    >> water"
    >> would be fine for me. "Eat less, exercise more" works well, but drives
    >> most
    >> people nuts. To the financial benefit of every silly infomercial diet.
    >>
    >> Did have a baby die from severe hyponatremia due to the parents feeding
    >> it a
    >> lot of water, so, "plenty of water" isn't universally good.

    > Wha???How much water do you have to feed a baby to actually kill it??!!
    > Did they just force feed the kid?

    Doesn't take much. Newborns are extremely sensitive to alterations in normal
    feeding. Without frequent, regular, feedings of breast milk or a properly
    designed formula, their serum proteins, electrolytes, and glucose get out of
    whack quickly. They have very immature homeostatic mechanisms to control
    these, and no reserves of fat and muscle and glycogen. A few days of feeding
    just water can do it. The resulting cerebral edema, if treated early, can be
    reversed. But occasionally...

    David

  9. Selene

    Selene Guest

    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote >
    > "Will Brink" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Did have a baby die from severe hyponatremia due to the parents feeding
    > >> it a lot of water, so, "plenty of water" isn't universally good.

    > > Wha???How much water do you have to feed a baby to actually kill it??!!
    > > Did they just force feed the kid?

    > Doesn't take much. Newborns are extremely sensitive to alterations in

    normal
    > feeding. Without frequent, regular, feedings of breast milk or a properly
    > designed formula, their serum proteins, electrolytes, and glucose get out

    of
    > whack quickly. They have very immature homeostatic mechanisms to control
    > these, and no reserves of fat and muscle and glycogen. A few days of

    feeding
    > just water can do it. The resulting cerebral edema, if treated early, can

    be
    > reversed. But occasionally...

    Were they poor*, stupid**, or worried about their baby being fat***?
    Or just damn unlucky?

    S.
    has a brand new niece

    * too poor for formula and didn't have enough breast milk
    ** uneducated
    *** from Hollyweird

  10. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:39:40 -0000, "pvd" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How much should we drink each day?
    >
    >I have searched around on the net a little, only to find contradictions all
    >over the place, 8-12 glasses, 7-8 glasses, etc, so which is correct?
    >
    >The net is useful, especially when you have a load of experts on a newsgroup
    >:)
    >
    >Thanks again m8's
    >
    >Sin

    Why not just drink 8 and you will have both recommdations covered.

  11. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Selene" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> > Wha???How much water do you have to feed a baby to actually kill it??!!
    >> > Did they just force feed the kid?

    >> Doesn't take much. Newborns are extremely sensitive to alterations in

    > normal
    >> feeding. Without frequent, regular, feedings of breast milk or a properly
    >> designed formula, their serum proteins, electrolytes, and glucose get out

    > of
    >> whack quickly. They have very immature homeostatic mechanisms to control
    >> these, and no reserves of fat and muscle and glycogen. A few days of

    > feeding
    >> just water can do it. The resulting cerebral edema, if treated early, can

    > be
    >> reversed. But occasionally...
    >>

    > Were they poor*, stupid**, or worried about their baby being fat***?
    > Or just damn unlucky?

    Stupid. But with a cultural twist. Some Hispanic parents do some, uh,
    interesting things when a baby is sick. Like wrapping a febrile kid in seven
    blankets, effectively cooking him.

    > S.
    > has a brand new niece

    Don't try to breast feed.

    > * too poor for formula and didn't have enough breast milk

    I completely reject any possibility that in the United States, with all of
    the welfare programs we have, that ANY child is underfed for financial
    reasons. If a child goes hungry because the crack whore mom has other
    priorities, not my fault, nor my country's fault.

    > ** uneducated

    Half my patients are in the pediatric ICU because of stupid parents.

    > *** from Hollyweird

    Doesn't seem to be a problem.

    David

  12. Will Brink

    Will Brink Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Will Brink" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> "Helgi Briem" <[email protected]> wrote

    > >> Apparently not. Cause I did.
    > >>
    > >> I have never been able to relate in any way to the personality type that
    > >> requires precise directions to all aspects of life. "Drink plenty of
    > >> water"
    > >> would be fine for me. "Eat less, exercise more" works well, but drives
    > >> most
    > >> people nuts. To the financial benefit of every silly infomercial diet.
    > >>
    > >> Did have a baby die from severe hyponatremia due to the parents feeding
    > >> it a
    > >> lot of water, so, "plenty of water" isn't universally good.

    > > Wha???How much water do you have to feed a baby to actually kill it??!!
    > > Did they just force feed the kid?

    > Doesn't take much. Newborns are extremely sensitive to alterations in normal
    > feeding. Without frequent, regular, feedings of breast milk or a properly
    > designed formula, their serum proteins, electrolytes, and glucose get out of
    > whack quickly. They have very immature homeostatic mechanisms to control
    > these, and no reserves of fat and muscle and glycogen. A few days of feeding
    > just water can do it. The resulting cerebral edema, if treated early, can be
    > reversed. But occasionally...

    Amazing. What would get into these people's head to feed a baby only
    water for a few days? Did they have a reason for this idiotic behavior?

    --
    Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

  13. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Will Brink" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > Wha???How much water do you have to feed a baby to actually kill it??!!
    >> > Did they just force feed the kid?

    >> Doesn't take much. Newborns are extremely sensitive to alterations in
    >> normal
    >> feeding. Without frequent, regular, feedings of breast milk or a properly
    >> designed formula, their serum proteins, electrolytes, and glucose get out
    >> of
    >> whack quickly. They have very immature homeostatic mechanisms to control
    >> these, and no reserves of fat and muscle and glycogen. A few days of
    >> feeding
    >> just water can do it. The resulting cerebral edema, if treated early, can
    >> be
    >> reversed. But occasionally...

    > Amazing. What would get into these people's head to feed a baby only
    > water for a few days? Did they have a reason for this idiotic behavior?

    As I mentioned to Selene, different cultures can have some strange
    practices. And ignorance crosses all cultural barriers. Imagine you are a
    poor, uneducated, 90 IQ, woman with no social support from older, more
    experienced women. (of course, you would still have fine kitchen appliances)

    Your newborn keeps vomiting the formula the hospital gave you to take home.
    When 'you' have an upset stomach, you don't eat for a couple days, and you
    feel better. The baby takes water ok, and keeps it down. So, feed baby water
    until it feels better. Two days later, baby must be feeling better because
    it doesn't cry anymore. Three days later, baby won't wake up.

    Simple formula intolerance becomes little tiny pine box.

    David

  14. Helgi Briem <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:39:40 -0000, "pvd" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >How much should we drink each day?
    > >
    > >I have searched around on the net a little, only to find
    > > contradictions all over the place, 8-12 glasses, 7-8 glasses,
    > >etc, so which is correct?

    > You see 7-8 glasses as contradicting 8-12 glasses?
    >
    > Well of course it has no relation to your bodyweight,
    > bodyfat percentage, glass size or anything.
    >
    > You must drink precisely 8.65 standard size 33.3ml
    > glasses of water in every 24 hour period or you will die in
    > horrible agony.
    >
    > Be sure you get organic water of course.

    Organic is way better than farmed - avoid farmed water at all costs.

  15. Jim Ranieri

    Jim Ranieri Guest

    "The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Organic is way better than farmed - avoid farmed water at all costs.

    Indeed. Once you've seen a water farm, you'll be sickened and never want to
    touch farmed water again.

  16. Helgi Briem

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:13:49 -0600, "Jim Ranieri" <nah,> wrote:

    >"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> Organic is way better than farmed - avoid farmed water at all costs.
    >>

    >Indeed. Once you've seen a water farm, you'll be sickened and
    >never want to touch farmed water again.

    Shudder. All those water molecules crowded in there,
    oxygen to oxygen, hydrogen bonds all rubbing against
    each other. It's awful.

    --
    Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

  17. Will Brink

    Will Brink Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Will Brink" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> "Will Brink" <[email protected]> wrote

    > >> Doesn't take much. Newborns are extremely sensitive to alterations in
    > >> normal
    > >> feeding. Without frequent, regular, feedings of breast milk or a properly
    > >> designed formula, their serum proteins, electrolytes, and glucose get out
    > >> of
    > >> whack quickly. They have very immature homeostatic mechanisms to control
    > >> these, and no reserves of fat and muscle and glycogen. A few days of
    > >> feeding
    > >> just water can do it. The resulting cerebral edema, if treated early, can
    > >> be
    > >> reversed. But occasionally...

    > > Amazing. What would get into these people's head to feed a baby only
    > > water for a few days? Did they have a reason for this idiotic behavior?

    > As I mentioned to Selene, different cultures can have some strange
    > practices. And ignorance crosses all cultural barriers. Imagine you are a
    > poor, uneducated, 90 IQ, woman with no social support from older, more
    > experienced women. (of course, you would still have fine kitchen appliances)
    >
    > Your newborn keeps vomiting the formula the hospital gave you to take home.
    > When 'you' have an upset stomach, you don't eat for a couple days, and you
    > feel better. The baby takes water ok, and keeps it down. So, feed baby water
    > until it feels better. Two days later, baby must be feeling better because
    > it doesn't cry anymore. Three days later, baby won't wake up.
    >
    > Simple formula intolerance becomes little tiny pine box.

    I guess in the grand scheme of stupid human behavior, this is not one of
    the "biggies" but it's sad. As I have said, I would not last one week
    doing your job.

    --
    Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

  18. Jim Ranieri

    Jim Ranieri Guest

    "Helgi Briem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:13:49 -0600, "Jim Ranieri" <nah,> wrote:
    >
    > >"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> Organic is way better than farmed - avoid farmed water at all costs.
    > >>

    > >Indeed. Once you've seen a water farm, you'll be sickened and
    > >never want to touch farmed water again.
    > >

    > Shudder. All those water molecules crowded in there,
    > oxygen to oxygen, hydrogen bonds all rubbing against
    > each other. It's awful.

    Not to mention the runoff from the big corporate water farms.

  19. Usenet Posting <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:04:40 GMT, [email protected] (The Queen of
    > Cans and Jars) wrote:
    >
    > >Helgi Briem <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> You see 7-8 glasses as contradicting 8-12 glasses?
    > >>
    > >> Well of course it has no relation to your bodyweight,
    > >> bodyfat percentage, glass size or anything.
    > >>
    > >> You must drink precisely 8.65 standard size 33.3ml
    > >> glasses of water in every 24 hour period or you will die in
    > >> horrible agony.
    > >>
    > >> Be sure you get organic water of course.

    > >Organic is way better than farmed - avoid farmed water at all costs.

    > I looked for organic water. Apparently it does not exist. Something
    > about H2O being H2O.
    >
    > I just think it is a conspiracy.

    SHHHHHHHHH

  20. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    Helgi Briem wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:13:49 -0600, "Jim Ranieri" <nah,> wrote:
    >
    > >"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in

    message
    > >> Organic is way better than farmed - avoid farmed water at all

    costs.

    > >Indeed. Once you've seen a water farm, you'll be sickened and
    > >never want to touch farmed water again.
    > >

    > Shudder. All those water molecules crowded in there,
    > oxygen to oxygen, hydrogen bonds all rubbing against
    > each other. It's awful.

    City Not Worried About Contamination From Dihydrogen Monoxide Spill

    KELOWNA, BRITISH COLUMBIA-- Okanagan residents are being assured that
    the crash of a delivery truck containing 18-tonnes of dihydrogen
    monoxide poses little risk to themselves or the local environment. The
    unfortunate accident, which disrupted local traffic for six hours, has
    been contained by the city's Haz-Mat specialists, who safely reduced
    the chemical threat through their quick, responsive actions.

    The emergency unit was dispatched to the scene of the overturned liquid
    transport container, and Queensway Avenue was closed-off so that the
    chemical decontamination unit could be set up to combat the threat of
    disaster.
    Although everything was done to prevent pollution, some of the clear,
    odorless liquid may have escaped into the atmosphere--although nearby
    residents weren't evacuated, and it is presumed that the misty cloud of
    vapour will dissipate safely.

    "We were extremely cautious when dealing with this spill," said Captain
    Yves Trough, HazMat spokesperson. "Dihydrogen monoxide is a very
    dangerous chemical, and can be very tricky to contain. Thankfully, the
    threat was reduced significantly due of the professionalism shown by
    our crew."

    "Safety first," said Capt Trough. "No matter what the substance,
    chemical, or liquid, my people endure. And I can safely say our boys
    minimized the health hazard this time, due to my leadership, their
    disciplined training, and of course my quick-thinking."

    Eventually, the team was able to remove all of the threatening liquid
    containers, most of which were unruptured. But even the compromised
    plastic containers of dihydrogen monoxide were removed to a safe
    decontamination station, where they will be disposed of in a safe
    manner.

    Some are concerned that the dihydrogen monoxide will seep into
    groundwater and possibly make its way into the drinking water reserves,
    but most informed citizens believe that the liquid poses little threat.

    Capt. Trough demurred to the praise of the team's heroic actions.
    "Whether the substance at the spill site is dihydrogen monoxide or just
    plain water, we're going to treat it the same way."