waterford R-33

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lennon1218, Nov 15, 2004.

1. lennon1218

lennon1218 New Member

any opinions on this bike??

Tags:

2. RC2

RC2 New Member

There's a whole lotta nice steel bikes out there, this would be one of them. So you now have the valuable opinion of a complete stranger, you gonna plop down a couple grand on a frame?

3. lennon1218

lennon1218 New Member

no smartass since this is a "cycling forum " I was asking opinions on this particular bike . I am well aware of the abundance of steel frames out there .This is not your run of the mill 853 frame.

4. RC2

RC2 New Member

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass, was saying that in my opinion this is one of the very nice steel frames out there. If I had 2k to spend on a frame, this might get some consideration. But so would steelman, landshark, etc, etc. Waterford makes frames to your specs, even for an R33 I doubt you'd get much specific impresions from one who has ridden the bike (I haven't), but can tell you 853 frames that I have ridden are pretty consistently strong, light, and lively, and i think 853 is a good choice w/r/t durability (deda zero, columbus niobium, ultrafoco may be somewhat less durable, although I haven't researched the newest alloys, that's word of mouth).

I guess my point that came off as smart ass what that, in high-end 853 frames, most of the difference is aesthics, personal prefrence. If I was spending 2k for that kinda frame I would base the decision 100%, wholly, on how it made me feel. For 2k, who cares what others think.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

853 is 'run of the mill'. And, I thought the r-33 was True Temper s3 tubing?

6. lennon1218

lennon1218 New Member

I was aware it was True Temper s3. My writings don't always come out like they should.

7. RC2

RC2 New Member

Ahh, tubing makes this bike close to ~3 lb for a 56, yes? Cool stuff. But it still comes down to personal preference.

8. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

I find that no crack before 10am helps.

9. lennon1218

lennon1218 New Member

i'm a meth man myself

10. dhk

dhk New Member

I think of a Waterford as a beautifully-lugged touring frame. To me, if your going to get a TIG-welded race frame made out of thinwall True Temper S3, there are lots of other framebuilders and choices out there.

When it comes to high-end custom frames, it all depends on what you value.