Watermelon Curry

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by tubal cain, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. tubal cain

    tubal cain Guest

    > From: "Rochelle Mooney" <[email protected]>
    > I am looking for recipes which use watermelon. I have just seen it in
    > fruit salads. There must be other ways to use it. Thanks

    Watermelon Curry

    >From Camellia Panjabi 50 Great Curries of India

    1/4 of a large watermelon
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    Pinch of turmeric powder
    1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
    1 teaspoon pressed garlic
    Salt
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
    2 to 3 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
    Sugar to taste

    Cut watermelon into slices and remove seeds. Cut flesh into 1 1/2-inch
    cubes. Measure out 1-cup cubes and puree. Add paprika, turmeric,
    coriander and garlic to puree. Season to taste with salt.
    Heat oil in large, deep skillet and add cumin seeds. Toast, shaking or
    stirring, 20 seconds. Add lemon juice and pureed watermelon mixture.
    Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until liquid is reduced by a
    third.
    Add watermelon cubes and cook over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, gently
    turning to coat with spices. Sprinkle with sugar to taste. Makes 2 to
    4 servings.

    --
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D Hill at [email protected].
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/