Waterproof alternative to Band-Aids?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mark P, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Mark P

    Mark P Guest

    About a week ago I scraped up my elbow/forearm pretty well on a sidewalk and since then a couple
    scabs have formed. When I swim these scabs become very soft and, worse, a loose edge invariably
    catches on the water resistance and over the course of an hour they start to peel away from my skin
    to a significant and uncomfortable degree. I suspect this isn't doing the healing process any favors
    either. After a week of this, today I put some large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at least
    shield them from the water drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off
    themselves. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something
    that will wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly if I expect it to stay on through several
    thousand yards of swimming.

    Thanks, Mark

    Tags:

  2. Mrdancer

    Mrdancer Guest

    "Mark P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > healing process any favors either. After a week of this, today I put some large Band-Aids over the
    > scabs hoping to at least shield them from the
    water
    > drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off themselves. Has anyone come up with
    > a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will wrap entirely around the
    > forearm and fit snugly
    if
    > I expect it to stay on through several thousand yards of swimming.

    Have you tried the liquid Band-Aid stuff? I've not used it yet, but used a similar product years ago
    called NewSkin or Nu-Skin, or something like that. It was breathable, waterproof and carried an
    antiseptic - worked quite well.

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Mark P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > About a week ago I scraped up my elbow/forearm pretty well on a sidewalk and since then a couple
    > scabs have formed. When I swim these scabs become very soft and, worse, a loose edge invariably
    > catches on the water resistance and over the course of an hour they start to peel away from my
    > skin to a significant and uncomfortable degree. I suspect this isn't doing the healing process any
    > favors either. After a week of this, today I put some large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at
    > least shield them from the water drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off
    > themselves. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need
    > something that will wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly if I expect it to stay on
    > through several thousand yards of swimming.

    In another context (road rash from motorcycle accidents), I have read that keeping wounds moist
    during healing (with creams and the like) actually results in less scarring.

    If you want to bandage it, you could try duct tape over gauze. :) I have been using duct tape over
    a wart on my foot after reading a news report late last year on a medical study that concluded that
    it was as effective as liquid nitrogen treatment. I've noticed that the duct tape stays on pretty
    well in the water, as long as it was originally applied to dry, clean skin.

    (I am not a doctor, so take this advice with a grain of salt.)

  4. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    Mark P says...

    > Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will
    > wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly if I expect it to stay on through several
    > thousand yards of swimming.

    3M makes a line of waterproof bandages called Nexcare, which you should find in the store in the
    same area as the regular Band-Aids. I've used them for swimming, and they work.

    The only question is whether they make them big enough for what you want. Here's what I found
    at 3m.com:

    3M Nexcare Waterproof Bandages, Knee and Elbow 582-10 Waterproof Bandages, Knee and Elbow; 2-3/8
    inch x 3-1/2 inch, 10 Bandages/box

  5. Mark P

    Mark P Guest

    "Mark P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > About a week ago I scraped up my elbow/forearm pretty well on a sidewalk
    and
    > since then a couple scabs have formed. When I swim these scabs become
    very
    > soft and, worse, a loose edge invariably catches on the water resistance
    and
    > over the course of an hour they start to peel away from my skin to a significant and uncomfortable
    > degree. I suspect this isn't doing the healing process any favors either. After a week of this,
    > today I put some large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at least shield them from the
    water
    > drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off themselves. Has anyone come up with
    > a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will wrap entirely around the
    > forearm and fit snugly
    if
    > I expect it to stay on through several thousand yards of swimming.
    >
    > Thanks, Mark

    Thanks for the many good suggestions. By now my condition has improved considerably but I'll keep
    all of this in mind for the (inevitable) future injury.

  6. Mseagan

    Mseagan Guest

    I have used a thick coat of Desitin (the white diaper rash cream) on wounds before and it
    worked for me.

    Marianne

    news:[email protected]...