Waterproof and packs über small

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
I'm lookin' for a waterproof jacket that packs down real small. Has anyone had any experience or have any comments on the ones listed below?

Assos
  1. Climajet
Giordana
  1. Tenax Monsoon
  2. A450 Protection Jacket
Descente
  1. Bobby J
Gore
  1. Oxygen
  2. Xenon
Craft
  1. Bike Rain
  2. Performance Bike Rain
  3. Protector Jacket
Pearl Izumi
  1. Octane
  2. Slice
Sugoi
  1. Helium
  2. Zap
  3. Hydrolite

I have a Sugoi Hydrolite jacket, which while not inexpensive, does the job, packs up reasonably well, and is way cheaper than the Assos jacket.

You might want to check that out.

Yojimbo_ said:
I have a Sugoi Hydrolite jacket, which while not inexpensive, does the job, packs up reasonably well, and is way cheaper than the Assos jacket.

You might want to check that out.

Actually I forgot to throw Sugoi in. I saw the hydrolite. Can you put dimensions on how small it is when packed up?

Pearl I Optik isn't waterproof. Windproof, not waterproof. Wouldn't even call it water resistant.

parawolf said:
Pearl I Optik isn't waterproof. Windproof, not waterproof. Wouldn't even call it water resistant.

I'll scratch that one, then. Gracias.

Revised list:

Assos
  1. Climajet
Giordana
  1. A450 Protection Jacket
  2. Monsoon
Gore
  1. Xenon
Craft
  1. Bike Rain
  2. Performance Bike Rain
  3. Protector Jacket
Pearl Izumi
  1. Octane
  2. Slice
Sugoi
  1. Helium
  2. Zap
  3. Hydrolite
Showers Pass
  1. Pro Tech Jacket

alienator said:
Actually I forgot to throw Sugoi in. I saw the hydrolite. Can you put dimensions on how small it is when packed up?
Dimensions....hmm....I can get it into a jersey pocket, but it isn't as small as a Cliff Bar. It's still larger than I would like it to be, but if you can find one in a store to look at you'll find that the material is very thin and lightweight. I'd be surprised if there is anything on the market that can pack up much smaller .

I'm tending toward either a Showers Pass Protech jacket, a Giordana Monsoon, or an Assos Climajet. They're all the same sort of jacket. It'll be something for summer monsoons or cold, early morning mountain descents in spring, summer, or fall. However, that's just a tendency. My mind is still open to suggestions.

alienator said:
I'm tending toward either a Showers Pass Protech jacket, a Giordana Monsoon, or an Assos Climajet. They're all the same sort of jacket. It'll be something for summer monsoons or cold, early morning mountain descents in spring, summer, or fall. However, that's just a tendency. My mind is still open to suggestions.

If thats your use, how concerned are you about staying dry vs keeping the wind chill out. I mean different climates here in Melbourne, Aus; but I use the Optik Vest to keep the wind chill out. I accept i'm gunna get wet, but as long as i'm warm and keeping the chill out, thats best.

alienator said:
I'm lookin' for a waterproof jacket that packs down real small. Has anyone had any experience or have any comments on the ones listed below?

Assos
  1. Climajet
Giordana
  1. Tenax Monsoon
  2. A450 Protection Jacket
Descente
  1. Bobby J
Gore
  1. Oxygen
  2. Xenon
Craft
  1. Bike Rain
  2. Performance Bike Rain
  3. Protector Jacket
Pearl Izumi
  1. Octane
  2. Slice
Sugoi
  1. Helium
  2. Zap
  3. Hydrolite

I have the Assos one and altho VERY expensive, packs small and works really well.

alienator said:
How small does it pack down?
It fits in the jersey pocket. I could get it a lot smaller with some care in packing. for comparsion the jersey is a medium

IMG_7528.jpg

IMG_7529.jpg

nzovistyfront.jpg
nzovistyback.jpg