New Member
Dec 2, 2003
Rain today, wet cold feet. :( Waterproof booties which brand/model work best? Do there work at all? Doesn't the rain just run done your leg and into shoes?

On 2006-09-06, neon (aka Bruce)

> Rain today, wet cold feet. :( Waterproof booties which brand/model
> work best? Do there work at all? Doesn't the rain just run done your
> leg and into shoes?

We mustn't have rain much if it brings out all the posters complaining
of it all at once :)

Overpants stop some of the runoff, apparently. My uno (not the
super-el-cheapo model, only the el-cheapo) booties start to let water
through after about ... half an hour?

--
TimC
A debugged program is one for which you have not yet found the

I have a pair off bbb waterflex overshoes. They are "OK" for a half hour
commute home and I get home with dry feet, BUT if out in the rain for long
periods feet are still wet, and not just from leg drips. Can't recomend them
particularly, freezer bags and lacky bands might be better. . .

Dave H

http://www.kudubikes.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_BBBWATERFLEXOSHOE

news:[email protected]...

neon wrote:
> Rain today, wet cold feet. :( Waterproof booties which brand/model
> work best? Do there work at all?

Not very well, no. I use neoprene booties, they don't keep you dry,
but they do keep you warm.

TimC said:
We mustn't have rain much if it brings out all the posters complaining
of it all at once :)

Yeah, don't you just hate them. :p

Actually I have be using Pearl Izumi nonprene booties with my leg warners over the top of them, but they are more the aerodynamic type booties than the wet weather booties, ie the strap at the top.

I was just wondering what other people use. Or is dry feet in wet weather is just a pipe dream.

"DaveH" wrote:
>I have a pair off bbb waterflex overshoes. They are "OK" for a half hour
>commute home and I get home with dry feet, BUT if out in the rain for long
>periods feet are still wet, and not just from leg drips.

Of course the other wet weather accessory to team with these is a good set
of mudguards (the full lenght ones not whippy little clip ons) Daggy and
retro these days I know, but they do work to keep most road spray off you.
If you add a front mudflap you'll definitely keep feet dry in anything less
than a monsoonal downpour.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:21:04 +1000
Peter Signorini <[email protected]> wrote:

> Of course the other wet weather accessory to team with these is a good set
> of mudguards (the full lenght ones not whippy little clip ons) Daggy and
> retro these days I know, but they do work to keep most road spray off you.
> If you add a front mudflap you'll definitely keep feet dry in anything less
> than a monsoonal downpour.

Unless your feet are sticking out in front of you.

Zebee
- getting used to wet socks.

On 06/09/06 at 22:30:39 Zebee Johnstone somehow managed to type:

<snip>

> Unless your feet are sticking out in front of you.

Of if you're riding a Moulton, I get REALLY WET feet on it. I haven't
bothered to work out exactly why but it could be the forward spray from
the top of the front wheel being so low compared to a big wheeled bike.

Having said that, I really enjoy sopping wet commutes...:)

--

Humbug
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 30th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3172

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:21:04 +1000
> Peter Signorini <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Of course the other wet weather accessory to team with these is a good set
>>of mudguards (the full lenght ones not whippy little clip ons) Daggy and
>>retro these days I know, but they do work to keep most road spray off you.
>>If you add a front mudflap you'll definitely keep feet dry in anything less
>>than a monsoonal downpour.

> Unless your feet are sticking out in front of you.

That's funny, I would have thought that having your feet higher would
have reduced the amount of water in the shoes. My feet get wet the
mostly at the bottom of the pedal stroke - from spray off the front
wheel when carving a path through puddles and the spray from the rear
wheel around the bottom bracket.

Or can't you fit mudguards to the 'bent?

--
BrettS

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:01:13 +0800
BrettS <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's funny, I would have thought that having your feet higher would
> have reduced the amount of water in the shoes. My feet get wet the
> mostly at the bottom of the pedal stroke - from spray off the front
> wheel when carving a path through puddles and the spray from the rear
> wheel around the bottom bracket.
>
> Or can't you fit mudguards to the 'bent?
>
> --

I have full mudguards on my bent. But my feet are out in the weather,
not protected by my body from the falling damp.

They don't get soaked by spray from my wheels or anyone else's, but
if the rain is wet enough to wet my clothes it will wet my feet.

On the other hand, I don't get a cold wet back.

Zebee

BrettS wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:21:04 +1000
>> Peter Signorini <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Of course the other wet weather accessory to team with these is a
>>> good set of mudguards (the full lenght ones not whippy little clip
>>> ons) Daggy and retro these days I know, but they do work to keep most
>>> road spray off you. If you add a front mudflap you'll definitely keep
>>> feet dry in anything less than a monsoonal downpour.

>> Unless your feet are sticking out in front of you.
>>

> That's funny, I would have thought that having your feet higher would
> have reduced the amount of water in the shoes. My feet get wet the
> mostly at the bottom of the pedal stroke - from spray off the front
> wheel when carving a path through puddles and the spray from the rear
> wheel around the bottom bracket.
>
> Or can't you fit mudguards to the 'bent?
>
> --
> BrettS

Just pedal at the top of the stroke and your feet'll stay dry.

Friday

I came to the conclusion some time ago that indeed the water will simply run
down the legs and beneath the booties. The socks then act like wicks and the
shoes become wet inside. Just one of those things!

Beavers

"neon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Rain today, wet cold feet. :( Waterproof booties which brand/model
> work best? Do there work at all? Doesn't the rain just run done your
> leg and into shoes?
>

> --
> neon

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 07 Sep 2006 14:59:34 GMT
Beavers <[email protected]> wrote:
> I came to the conclusion some time ago that indeed the water will simply run
> down the legs and beneath the booties. The socks then act like wicks and the
> shoes become wet inside. Just one of those things!

Duct tape!

Used to use it when racing motorcycles to try and stop the worst of
the rain running down the leathers into the boots.

So now you have another answer for the bods who ask why you shave your
legs.

Zebee

Friday wrote:
> BrettS wrote:
>
>> Zebee Johnstone wrote:

>>> Unless your feet are sticking out in front of you.
>>>

>> That's funny, I would have thought that having your feet higher would
>> have reduced the amount of water in the shoes. My feet get wet the
>> mostly at the bottom of the pedal stroke - from spray off the front
>> wheel when carving a path through puddles and the spray from the rear
>> wheel around the bottom bracket.
>>
>> Or can't you fit mudguards to the 'bent?
>>
>> --
>> BrettS

> Just pedal at the top of the stroke and your feet'll stay dry.
>
> Friday

What? Ride a fixie and just give em a little push at the top?
;-)

--
BrettS

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:04:42 +0800
BrettS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>>
>> Just pedal at the top of the stroke and your feet'll stay dry.
>>

> What? Ride a fixie and just give em a little push at the top?
> ;-)

Nah, if you ride a fixie you are obviously well 'ard so you just get
wet, complaining that there's no snow to go uphill in.

Zebee

BrettS wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>
>> BrettS wrote:

>>> That's funny, I would have thought that having your feet higher would
>>> have reduced the amount of water in the shoes. My feet get wet the
>>> mostly at the bottom of the pedal stroke - from spray off the front
>>> wheel when carving a path through puddles and the spray from the rear
>>> wheel around the bottom bracket.
>>>
>>> Or can't you fit mudguards to the 'bent?
>>>
>>> --
>>> BrettS

>> Just pedal at the top of the stroke and your feet'll stay dry.
>>
>> Friday

> What? Ride a fixie and just give em a little push at the top?
> ;-)
>
> --
> BrettS

I ride my mountain bike about 20 km to work through the bush and there
is a small creek I have to go through. I have to use one foot and do
little "half pedals" so as not to get my feet wet, but if I lose
momentum I end up with both feet totaly wet. There's a narrow shallow
spot I have to stick to as well. I took some friends through there one
night and one of them went a few inches too far to the right and ended
up in deep water. We could hear him splashing about in the water like
Gollum. He got completely soaked up to the waist. If anyone wants to
meet him he'll be log chopping at the Melbourne show, (Rob Simms).

Friday