Waterproof overshoes - recommendations?

JungleBiker

May 17, 2004
I am interested to buy some overshoes to keep my cycling shoes dry during rides in the rain. Can anybody recommend a good product that keeps the water out and looks okay? Thanks.

This is going to sound kind of dumb, but here's what we use in Vancouver during the cold, rainy winter. Quite a few of us racers have found that your feet will get wet after two hours in the rain no matter what overshoe you use. It's still important to use a good one, but a lot of us use a second layer.

After putting on our socks, we take a thin polyethylene bag like a supermarket shopping bag and put it over our foot. Put the foot with bag into the shoe and adjust until it's comfortable. Next, cut off the excess bag and use duct tape to attach the bag to your ankle/leg.

Do up your shoes and put on the overshoes (we call them booties). This is pretty much guaranteed to keep your feet dry and warm no matter how wet it gets outside.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com

I use the Seal Skinz Socks, less bulky than booties, waterproof and windproof. Only downside is shoes get wet and dirty.

ScienceIsCool said:
After putting on our socks, we take a thin polyethylene bag like a supermarket shopping bag and put it over our foot. Put the foot with bag into the shoe and adjust until it's comfortable. Next, cut off the excess bag and use duct tape to attach the bag to your ankle/leg.
Doesn't that actually end up frying your feet (in other words, it gets really hot and steamy in there!)?

Powerful Pete said:
Doesn't that actually end up frying your feet (in other words, it gets really hot and steamy in there!)?

Used to do this in the eighties, and yes, it always ended up like a sauna in there...

IN the winter I use decathlon 1.0mm neoprene overshoes. They've not let me down so far, but then if it's raining that much I'll be n the turbo trainer instead anyway!

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Actually I don't care about my feet getting wet - it's not very cold here in Thailand! :D It's my shoes that I'd like to keep dry because with the wet humid monsoon weather here they take a while to dry and I am afraid they will stink, rot and fall apart very quickly! :eek:

OT - riding in Thailand! Cool, spent a year and a half working in Krung Thep... miss it.

Where do you live/ride? The North, I assume? I vacationed several times in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai area and kept on kicking myself for not having brought a road bike with me. Wonderful roads, as I recall. :cool:

ScienceIsCool said:
This is going to sound kind of dumb, but here's what we use in Vancouver during the cold, rainy winter. Quite a few of us racers have found that your feet will get wet after two hours in the rain no matter what overshoe you use. It's still important to use a good one, but a lot of us use a second layer.

Do up your shoes and put on the overshoes (we call them booties). This is pretty much guaranteed to keep your feet dry and warm no matter how wet it gets outside.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com
Hi, her in Wenatchee WA, we do the same but the Polyethylene bag go over the shoe, that way the shoes stay dry for the evening training on roller or trainer.
Here in the mountains it get very cold in the winter i also use hand-warmers on my toes & on both sides of my ankels:D it keeps my feet warm at any temperature:p ,Musher

JungleBiker said:
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Actually I don't care about my feet getting wet - it's not very cold here in Thailand! :D It's my shoes that I'd like to keep dry because with the wet humid monsoon weather here they take a while to dry and I am afraid they will stink, rot and fall apart very quickly! :eek:
Wrap your shoe, after you have it on your foot, in glad/cling wrap. Poke a few small holes on the top for your feet to "breathe". Works a treat.

Have 2 pairs of shoes. No matter what you use with shoes(good ideas above) the shoes will always get wet. They'll need to be cleaned, filled with newspaper and left to dry. When drying and wanting to go for another ride - wear the other shoes. Two of the same brand, model(or a race & training pair) and size would be ideal:)

JungleBiker said:
I am interested to buy some overshoes to keep my cycling shoes dry during rides in the rain. Can anybody recommend a good product that keeps the water out and looks okay? Thanks.
I use BBB neoprene overshoes, feet stay nice and dry, and warm and toasty on cold days.