UK and Europe · Public discussion

Watership Down 15th Jan

Started by MartinM · · Last activity · 138 posts · 3,034 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
7 December 2005
Last activity
23 January 2006
Original author
MartinM
Posts
138
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,034
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 138
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dave Larrington said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Simon

    Brooke () said:

    Alan, you are either misremembering or a liar. Even the best racing
    cyclists of the day, in competition, didn't achieve the speeds you claim
    to have hit while 'going to a dance'. But it differently, if you had
    gone to the Berlin Olympics in 1939, you could have brought back enough
    gold medals to finance the British war effort.

    <pedant>
    If he'd gone to the Berlin Olympics in 1939, he couldn't have brought
    back /any/ medals as he'd have been a year too late
    </pedant>

    <pedant>
    Three years too late
    </pedant>

    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    Mae bys Mari-Ann wedi brifo

  2. Simon Brooke said:

    Alan, you are either misremembering or a liar.

    I don't think so, and neither do I see any need to be quite that blunt
    about it. Why would he lie about it, especially when he knows he's not
    being believed? I'm almost certain he's sincere. What I'm slightly
    puzzled about is his complete confidence in his memory of the event in
    the face of so much scepticism. Human memory is quite fallible. For
    example, I've had the experience where a line of dialogue from a film
    has impressed me and stuck in my mind. In my imagination I've been able
    to replay the scene and hear the actor's voice recite the line. Years
    later I've seen the film again, but when it gets to that particular
    scene the dialogue is different. I'm sure we've all had similar
    experiences.

    --
    Dave...

  3. David Martin said:

    Alan Holmes wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And, BTW, the bike was a Raleigh, with a sturmey archer 3 speed gear fitted
    with a two gear derailier, and a hub dynamo, lowest gear 26 and highest 104.

    Hmm.. that gives an average cadence of just over 90 in top gear, with
    luggage, over the chilterns.

    I make it just over 95. Didn't he say earlier that the cadence of
    today's cyclists is too high?

    --
    Dave...

  4. dkahn400 said:

    I'm sure we've all had similar
    experiences.

    Indeed. I guess that's why Simon wrote "misremembered /or/ a liar". It's
    got to be one or the other, because it sure as heckfire ain't the truth.
    And Alan is refusing to accept that it's his memory at fault so there is
    only one other possible conclusion...

    It's all quite amusing, though.

    d.

  5. davek said:
    MartinM said:

    OK see you there. I'll be the one waiting forlornly for 45 mins for a
    plate of beans on after everyone else has started back to Denmead.

    NB don't go into any cafe if the waiter looks like a character out of
    Little Britain.

    "Margaret, have we gone any beans that are a bit less piratey?"

  6. dkahn400 said:
    David Martin said:

    Alan Holmes wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And, BTW, the bike was a Raleigh, with a sturmey archer 3 speed gear fitted
    with a two gear derailier, and a hub dynamo, lowest gear 26 and highest 104.

    Hmm.. that gives an average cadence of just over 90 in top gear, with
    luggage, over the chilterns.

    I make it just over 95. Didn't he say earlier that the cadence of
    today's cyclists is too high?

    85 up the hills and freewheeling down. Easy :-)

    James
    --
    James Annan
    see web pages for email
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/
    http://julesandjames.blogspot.com/

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, Keith Willoughby

    () said:
    Dave Larrington said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Simon

    Brooke () said:

    Alan, you are either misremembering or a liar. Even the best racing
    cyclists of the day, in competition, didn't achieve the speeds you claim
    to have hit while 'going to a dance'. But it differently, if you had
    gone to the Berlin Olympics in 1939, you could have brought back enough
    gold medals to finance the British war effort.

    <pedant>
    If he'd gone to the Berlin Olympics in 1939, he couldn't have brought
    back /any/ medals as he'd have been a year too late
    </pedant>

    <pedant>
    Three years too late
    </pedant>

    I'm tempted to blame this keyboard, but somehow I don't think anyone
    would believe me...

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Barley, barley, barley, world cruise. You never see a farmer on a bike.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, davek

    () said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    I'm sure, of course, that you were a much better cyclist than
    Silvere Maes, who won in that year, but what I want to know is, in that
    case, why didn't you take part?

    Was there a British team that year? If not, to be fair to Alan, it's
    unlikely they would have invited him to take part.

    Only pre-Wa Brits I can find are Charles Holland and the improbable-
    sounding Pierre Gachon, both in 1937. Neither finished.

    Quoted message said:

    Either that or the organisers were just scared he would show them all up.

    Well, Perfidious Albion an' all that...

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Barley, barley, barley, world cruise. You never see a farmer on a bike.

  9. "dkahn400" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    David Martin said:

    Alan Holmes wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And, BTW, the bike was a Raleigh, with a sturmey archer 3 speed gear
    fitted
    with a two gear derailier, and a hub dynamo, lowest gear 26 and highest
    104.

    Hmm.. that gives an average cadence of just over 90 in top gear, with
    luggage, over the chilterns.

    I make it just over 95. Didn't he say earlier that the cadence of
    today's cyclists is too high?

    Yes, I see people turning the pedals at a very high rate, but they are
    travelling at very low speeds, why the hell aren't they tought how to use
    gears.

    Alan

  10. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Keith Willoughby

    () said:
    Dave Larrington said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Simon
    Brooke ([email hidden]) wrote:

    > Alan, you are either misremembering or a liar. Even the best racing
    > cyclists of the day, in competition, didn't achieve the speeds you
    > claim
    > to have hit while 'going to a dance'. But it differently, if you had
    > gone to the Berlin Olympics in 1939, you could have brought back
    > enough
    > gold medals to finance the British war effort.

    <pedant>
    If he'd gone to the Berlin Olympics in 1939, he couldn't have brought
    back /any/ medals as he'd have been a year too late
    </pedant>

    <pedant>
    Three years too late
    </pedant>

    I'm tempted to blame this keyboard, but somehow I don't think anyone
    would believe me...

    I would, but then I'm the sort of fool who believes anything!(:-)

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Barley, barley, barley, world cruise. You never see a farmer on a bike.

  11. davek said:
    dkahn400 said:

    I'm sure we've all had similar
    experiences.

    Indeed. I guess that's why Simon wrote "misremembered /or/ a liar". It's
    got to be one or the other, because it sure as heckfire ain't the truth.
    And Alan is refusing to accept that it's his memory at fault so there is
    only one other possible conclusion...

    There's no need to accuse Alan of lying. "Misremembered" is enough.
    Refusing to accept his memory is playing tricks just makes him
    stubborn, not dishonest.

    --
    Dave...

  12. "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    I've never ever been interested in competions of ay sort.

    no, too slow for you

    Nothing at all to do with that, when I was at school I had absolutely no
    interest in any 'sport' and both teachers and other pupils knew that, for
    some unknown reason, there were always 31 boys in the classes I was in, so
    when the teachers took us out into the playground for 'sports' he would pick
    two boys to be the leaders, who would then pick boys for their side, whoever
    got to make the first selection, was always left with me in his side, as I
    was always left until last, i would then be put in a positin where I could
    do no harm, this was ideal for me as I didn't want to run around kicking a
    ball.

    If we went to the local playing field to play cricket, the teacher knowing I
    was useless would give me the job of keeping score, but I was so bad at
    that, another boy would always take over and I'd be left to spend the time
    day dreaming.

    Yes, I suppose I could say I enjoyed 'sport'!

    Alan

    Quoted message said:
  13. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Alan Holmes

    () said:


    "MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Alan Holmes wrote:

    > I sometimes pace cyclists to see what speeds they are travelling at,
    > and
    > it's surprising how fast some of them travel, it's very common to pace
    > someone at 25 + mph

    FSVO common, the only time I see cyclists riding at that speed is on
    TT's

    > But, of course, i cannot be sure my car speedometer is really very
    > accurate!

    sorry to disappoint you but you did not ever ride anywhere at 29.5 mph
    average; think back, reconsider the journey and it will become
    apparent.

    If you work out the distance from South Ealing to Stow-on-the-Wold, you
    will
    find it is very close to 84 miles.

    And I left South Ealing at 2.00 pm and arrived at the hostel before it
    opened, the normal opening times of YH is 5.00 pm.

    As to people travelling at 25 mph or faster, I suggest you try pacing
    some
    who appear to be going at a fair speed, or indeed any speed, and then
    make
    the comment.

    My fastest-ever race performance saw me averaging 28.7 mph for 45
    minutes. On an indoor velodrome, on a very reclined, tail-faired
    recumbent. With no luggage at all, not even a water bottle. Spending
    most of the race doing bit-and-bit with two other riders, one of whom
    has won the championship three years running and competed in Team RAAM
    last year. I doubt even Mr Armstrong or Fat Boy Ullrich could do Ealing
    -> Stow o/t Wold at that speed.

    I have only given the facts, the time starting, arriving, and I leave it to
    you to work out the distance.

    And there is still the motorist who informed me I was travelling at 30mph.

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Jack Hackett for Pope, next time!

  14. Quoted message said:

    Yes, I see people turning the pedals at a very high rate, but they are
    travelling at very low speeds, why the hell aren't they tought how to
    use gears.

    It's kinda something that most people work out themselves. All I can think
    of is that heavy horrible imitation cheapo mtb's don't really reward fast
    speeds and that this, coupled with lack of maintenance, means they've no
    wish to go fast, and after a few months of use, no way to change up to the
    middle/big ring. Cable stretch probably makes the bottom cogs on the rear
    wossname difficult to get into as well.

  15. In article said:


    I have only given the facts, the time starting, arriving, and I leave it to
    you to work out the distance.

    About 77 miles, says Google Maps, but it would be a bit further not using
    the M40.

    Quoted message said:

    And there is still the motorist who informed me I was travelling at 30mph.

    At least two obvious explanations spring to mind:
    i) you've misremembered that bit too
    ii) that was a downhill bit

  16. "Alan Braggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    In article said:


    I have only given the facts, the time starting, arriving, and I leave it
    to
    you to work out the distance.

    About 77 miles, says Google Maps, but it would be a bit further not using
    the M40.

    The M40 didn't exist in thse days.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And there is still the motorist who informed me I was travelling at 30mph.

    At least two obvious explanations spring to mind:
    i) you've misremembered that bit too

    I don't think so.

    Quoted message said:

    ii) that was a downhill bit

    On the flat.

    Alan

  17. "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Alan Braggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    In article said:


    I have only given the facts, the time starting, arriving, and I leave it
    to
    you to work out the distance.

    About 77 miles, says Google Maps, but it would be a bit further not using
    the M40.

    The M40 didn't exist in thse days.

    And, silly me, I'd forgotten that cyclists are not welcome on the M40
    either!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And there is still the motorist who informed me I was travelling at
    30mph.

    At least two obvious explanations spring to mind:
    i) you've misremembered that bit too

    I don't think so.

    Quoted message said:

    ii) that was a downhill bit

    On the flat.

    Alan

  18. I rather enjoy it all.
    Maybe Alan is actually Peter Mandelson and he's just putting a touch of spin
    on it all, (despite his claimed aversion to spinning).

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    MartinM said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    You are not keeping up with this are you, the start was south ealing
    nad the hostel was stow-on-the-wold, see a previous post.

    Nothing like those South Ealing 'nads, eh?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And, BTW, the bike was a Raleigh, with a sturmey archer 3 speed gear
    fitted with a two gear derailier, and a hub dynamo, lowest gear 26
    and highest 104.

    I'm losing the will to live on this one

    I can lose the will to live faster than you 🙂

    --
    Ambrose

  19. A quick google for Alan Holmes brought this up...
    http://www.iomtt.com/results/rider.asp?Ride_id=5669

    Alan Holmes will be best remembered for his record breaking rides during the
    1957 Manx Grand Prix, when he became the first Manxman to win the Junior and
    Senior races <snip the rest>

    ....I can smell petrol....

    "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dave Kahn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    "dkahn400" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >Alan Holmes wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    >>This was before the days of computers!
    >
    >Approximately which year?

    1950

    Today's records are much superior to those of 50 years ago. This is
    largely due to improvements in bicycle technology. Modern time trial
    bikes are significantly faster than older ones, which in turn were
    significantly faster than utility bikes of the day, and not the other way
    round as you seem to think.

    Are you saying that cycle tracks are different lengths to what they were
    50 years ago, shorter but claiming to be the longer lengths?

    It was impossible to measure lengths accurately?

    And their watches were not reliable either?

    Quoted message said:


    In 1950 the 50 mile time trial record was 1:59:15 - an average speed
    slightly under 25.2 mph. The best 100 mile speed was still below 24 mph.
    Your 80 mile leisure ride with luggage was apparently made at a much
    greater speed than the then-standing 50 mile record. God knows how fast
    you'd have gone if you'd been in a hurry.

    I hate to think, perhaps if I had tried I could have got there at 4.00pm!

    All I have done is to say exactly what happened, the times and distances
    are correct.

    And I would draw your attention to the motorist who said I was travelling
    at 30mph, of course his speedometer could have been grossely in error, but
    I would doubt that he would normally travel at, say, 15 - 20mph.

    But you are entitled to dissbelieve it if you wish.

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Dave...

  20. I submit that on or about Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:38:27 GMT, the person
    known to the court as "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> made a
    statement (<[email hidden]> in Your Honour's
    bundle) to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I see people turning the pedals at a very high rate, but they are
    travelling at very low speeds, why the hell aren't they tought how to use
    gears.

    They are. And they choose to spin instead of mashing the gears,
    because now we have these new-fangled clipless pedals it's relatively
    easy. Do KUATB!

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.