Watership Down 15th Jan

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    anyone else doing this? I was going to forgo it in favour of Denmead
    the week after but there is now a reliability trial that weekend (if
    they let me in that is; having not allowed them to win our club's one
    by the simple expedient of two of their number having entered the
    Bermuda Triangle half way round the course)

    Tags:

  2. MartinM wrote:
    > anyone else doing this? I was going to forgo it in favour of Denmead
    > the week after but there is now a reliability trial that weekend (if
    > they let me in that is; having not allowed them to win our club's one
    > by the simple expedient of two of their number having entered the
    > Bermuda Triangle half way round the course)

    I'd love to, but I'm so bloody far away from everything down here in East
    Kent, I doubt I'd get permission from local management for the ride /and/
    the 3+ hours driving to/from the event!

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > anyone else doing this? I was going to forgo it in favour of Denmead
    > > the week after but there is now a reliability trial that weekend (if
    > > they let me in that is; having not allowed them to win our club's one
    > > by the simple expedient of two of their number having entered the
    > > Bermuda Triangle half way round the course)

    > I'd love to, but I'm so bloody far away from everything down here in East
    > Kent, I doubt I'd get permission from local management for the ride /and/
    > the 3+ hours driving to/from the event!

    yes the drive is a bummer even for me, no trains on Sunday

    what about the reliablity trial? starts in the same place as the MSH
    also very hilly but goes out further east; not sure if it's open entry
    though (it's the 29th), will find out.

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:

    > I'd love to, but I'm so bloody far away from everything down here in East
    > Kent, I doubt I'd get permission from local management for the ride /and/
    > the 3+ hours driving to/from the event!

    Shirley the MJF is within permittable distance?
    and might we see some more urcer's next year after this year's poor
    showing?

  5. MartinM wrote:
    > Simon Bennett wrote:
    >
    >> I'd love to, but I'm so bloody far away from everything down here in
    >> East Kent, I doubt I'd get permission from local management for the
    >> ride /and/ the 3+ hours driving to/from the event!

    > Shirley the MJF is within permittable distance?
    > and might we see some more urcer's next year after this year's poor
    > showing?

    Indeed. I'd better get going soon after xmas -- I have an SR to complete
    next year!

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:

    > anyone else doing this?

    Might well do it and/or Denmead-Popham-Denmead. Lt. Col. Larrington
    (retd.)'s stocks of drinkohol could be in for a serious bashing in
    January...

    We had that Maurits C. Escher in to do some building work once. I
    haven't been able to leave the house since.

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > Simon Bennett wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'd love to, but I'm so bloody far away from everything down here in
    > >> East Kent, I doubt I'd get permission from local management for the
    > >> ride /and/ the 3+ hours driving to/from the event!

    > > Shirley the MJF is within permittable distance?
    > > and might we see some more urcer's next year after this year's poor
    > > showing?

    > Indeed. I'd better get going soon after xmas

    Me too; if I'm to do 2 400's before the end of May, which SR's are you
    doing? Dave Hudson's are all convenient but a bit (well a lot) basic,
    but what do you expect for £1? a Brevet card costs nearly that!
    I have pencilled in his 200 and 300 in April, as well as the Denmead
    200 (a bit of a tradition now)
    I looked at the Lymington 1000 (but not for long)

  8. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote On 12/08/05 10:01,:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
    >
    >>anyone else doing this?

    > Might well do it and/or Denmead-Popham-Denmead.

    I fancy doing one or the other, but haven't decided which one yet.

  9. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Mike K Smith wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote On 12/08/05 10:01,:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
    > >
    > >>anyone else doing this?

    > > Might well do it and/or Denmead-Popham-Denmead.

    > I fancy doing one or the other, but haven't decided which one yet.

    The Denmead used to go to Whitchurch, but I think Popham is the same
    sort of direction. they are both nice, for my money Denmead wins as
    it's on Saturday

  10. John B

    John B Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > The Denmead used to go to Whitchurch, but I think Popham is the same
    > sort of direction. they are both nice, for my money Denmead wins as
    > it's on Saturday

    Popham is indeed a nice stop - its just up the road from me - Whitchurch
    is even closer ;-)
    We often trundle out for a mug of tea and cake.
    It is an airfield with a small and friendly cafe which has the control
    'tower' (a sectioned off desk and some dials) just inside the doorway.

    There are *very* few restrictions and you can wander around the aircraft
    at leisure. A lot of small planes and microlights use it.

    Its one of Hampshire's several 'hidden' tea stops, but it seems the
    audaxers have now found it.

    John B

  11. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    John B wrote On 12/08/05 17:16,:

    > Popham is indeed a nice stop - its just up the road from me - Whitchurch
    > is even closer ;-)
    > We often trundle out for a mug of tea and cake.
    > It is an airfield with a small and friendly cafe which has the control
    > 'tower' (a sectioned off desk and some dials) just inside the doorway.
    >
    > There are *very* few restrictions and you can wander around the aircraft
    > at leisure. A lot of small planes and microlights use it.
    >
    > Its one of Hampshire's several 'hidden' tea stops, but it seems the
    > audaxers have now found it.

    Sounds like a real gem. We pass fairly close to it sometimes, but I've
    never thought of popping in for a cuppa. What are their opening hours? I
    presume the answer is more or less 'during daylight'.

  12. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    John B wrote:

    > Its one of Hampshire's several 'hidden' tea stops, but it seems the
    > audaxers have now found it.

    I'm not sure but it's possible that the Silk Mill is no longer taking
    bikes (unless they pay admission) which may be why they have moved the
    cafe stop. I won't be abe to make it as I'm doing a RR the day after
    which I've been wanting to do for years.

  13. John B wrote:

    > Its one of Hampshire's several 'hidden' tea stops, but it seems the
    > audaxers have now found it.

    And the clubs, I've been there a couple of times on various club runs. I've
    punctred twice in the car park on two separate rides!

  14. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > John B wrote:
    >
    > > Its one of Hampshire's several 'hidden' tea stops, but it seems the
    > > audaxers have now found it.

    > And the clubs, I've been there a couple of times on various club runs. I've
    > punctred twice in the car park on two separate rides!

    first control on the Elenith is an airfield; very nice, lots going on,
    and a good breakfast in the caff, it's the last flat place you see all
    day ;-)

  15. davek

    davek Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > I'd love to, but I'm so bloody far away from everything down here in East
    > Kent, I doubt I'd get permission from local management for the ride /and/
    > the 3+ hours driving to/from the event!

    Seeing as I'm also down in east Kent, and seeing as I'm also planning
    on doing an SR next year, we should maybe consider pooling resources
    transport-wise - though I'll have to get a new bike carrier as I don't
    think the one I've got fits on the new car. I haven't looked too
    closely at the calendar yet to decide what rides I'll be doing - guess
    I'd better start thinking seriously about that. Might even need to
    think about /training/ if a 600 is on the cards...

    One ride I know you'll be interested in is the White Cliffs Challenge -
    100 miles starting in Dover, usually in May/June, I think. It's mostly
    flat (especially the Romney Marsh bits) but has one real stinker of a
    hill at about 2/3 distance.

    Btw, did you find a local club to join yet? ISTR I recommended VC Deal
    - did you try them?

    d.

  16. davek wrote:

    > Seeing as I'm also down in east Kent, and seeing as I'm also planning
    > on doing an SR next year, we should maybe consider pooling resources
    > transport-wise - though I'll have to get a new bike carrier as I don't
    > think the one I've got fits on the new car.

    Good thinking! I don't have a bike rack either, but can usually squeeze two
    bikes inside. We're upgrading our car at some point soon after xmas, so it
    should't be a problem.

    > Btw, did you find a local club to join yet? ISTR I recommended VC Deal
    > - did you try them?

    I've been out on a few runs down to Rye/Appledore with VC Deal -- loads of
    riders turned out for the first one (must've been about 30 at one point!) --
    not so many (five) last Sunday. They seem like a good bunch.

  17. John B

    John B Guest

    Mike K Smith wrote:

    > John B wrote On 12/08/05 17:16,:
    >
    > > Popham is indeed a nice stop - its just up the road from me - Whitchurch
    > > is even closer ;-)
    > > We often trundle out for a mug of tea and cake.
    > > It is an airfield with a small and friendly cafe which has the control
    > > 'tower' (a sectioned off desk and some dials) just inside the doorway.
    > >
    > > There are *very* few restrictions and you can wander around the aircraft
    > > at leisure. A lot of small planes and microlights use it.
    > >
    > > Its one of Hampshire's several 'hidden' tea stops, but it seems the
    > > audaxers have now found it.

    > Sounds like a real gem. We pass fairly close to it sometimes, but I've
    > never thought of popping in for a cuppa. What are their opening hours? I
    > presume the answer is more or less 'during daylight'.

    From early morning 'til teatime
    http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/Index.htm

    Its the home of the Spitfire Club - an aircraft I'm presently designing a
    book to :)

    The breakfasts are excellent and the atmosphere really laid back, not at all
    what you would expect from a private airfield.

    To whet your appetite:
    http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/Cafeteria.htm

    John B

  18. John B

    John B Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > John B wrote:
    >
    > > Its one of Hampshire's several 'hidden' tea stops, but it seems the
    > > audaxers have now found it.

    > I'm not sure but it's possible that the Silk Mill is no longer taking
    > bikes (unless they pay admission) which may be why they have moved the
    > cafe stop.

    Possible.
    The Silk Mill's policy of forcing you to pay an entry fee before using
    the tea room has not gone down at all well locally. It used to be a
    regualy coffee stop for cycling groups, but no longer. the White Hart up
    the road is now the best stop - open all day from early morning, but it
    might be a bit too 'posh' for audax rides <ducks>.

    I hope to see the Silk Mill manager soon so i'll mention the
    disappointment. I have a feeling that they may be trying to resolve the
    issue by making a separate entrance to the tea-room, but I'm unsure as
    the building is not an easy one to make changes to.

    John B

  19. John B

    John B Guest

    Mike K Smith wrote:

    > Anyone know if the cafe at Middle Wallop is cyclist-friendly?

    Yes, it is. The entrance is around the back of the Aircraft Museum.
    Several local cycling clubs use it as a regular port of call.
    Tea and cakes are good.

    John B

  20. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    John B wrote:
    > Mike K Smith wrote:
    >
    > > John B wrote On 12/08/05 17:16,:
    > >
    > > > Popham is indeed a nice stop - its just up the road from me - Whitchurch
    > > > is even closer ;-)
    > > > We often trundle out for a mug of tea and cake.
    > > > It is an airfield with a small and friendly cafe which has the control
    > > > 'tower' (a sectioned off desk and some dials) just inside the doorway.
    > > >
    > > > There are *very* few restrictions and you can wander around the aircraft
    > > > at leisure. A lot of small planes and microlights use it.
    > > >
    > > > Its one of Hampshire's several 'hidden' tea stops, but it seems the
    > > > audaxers have now found it.

    > > Sounds like a real gem. We pass fairly close to it sometimes, but I've
    > > never thought of popping in for a cuppa. What are their opening hours? I
    > > presume the answer is more or less 'during daylight'.

    > From early morning 'til teatime
    > http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/Index.htm
    >
    > Its the home of the Spitfire Club - an aircraft I'm presently designing a
    > book to :)
    >
    > The breakfasts are excellent and the atmosphere really laid back, not at all
    > what you would expect from a private airfield.
    >
    > To whet your appetite:
    > http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/Cafeteria.htm
    >
    > John B

    I'm now doing the RR the week before so should be on for this; would be
    nice to meet up with some other urc'ers even if not doing the 115k, I
    would estimate we'll be there sometime between 1100-1230. I'm pretty
    sure Pam still accepts entries on the line.