Watership Down

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Serves it right for not wearing a helmet.

    That's were you've been going wrong.

    Helmets go on heads.

    Shoes & socks go on feet (not in that order). If its cold neoprene
    overshoes go on as well :)

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    anyone ever tried riding with a neoprene helmet like wot scuba divers
    use? tried the jacket once, not recommended

  3. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1109839003.146755.192330
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > anyone ever tried riding with a neoprene helmet like wot scuba divers
    > use? tried the jacket once, not recommended

    I've done worse than that. I've done the shuttle run for a canoe trip on a
    bike wearing full dry trousers and dry top with Buffalo dungarees and top
    underneath (it was about -8C that day). I almost died of hyperthermia
    before I got 500 yards! People thought I'd totally lost it when I jumped
    into the river to cool down when I got back to the top.

    Graeme

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've done worse than that. I've done the shuttle run for a canoe trip on a
    > bike wearing full dry trousers and dry top with Buffalo dungarees and top
    > underneath (it was about -8C that day). I almost died of hyperthermia
    > before I got 500 yards! People thought I'd totally lost it when I jumped
    > into the river to cool down when I got back to the top.

    Caving in a full wet suit can have a similar effect. Its wonderful when you
    get to the wet bit -- even if there are lumps of ice in the water.

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > I've done worse than that. I've done the shuttle run for a canoe trip on

    > > bike wearing full dry trousers and dry top with Buffalo dungarees and

    top
    > > underneath (it was about -8C that day). I almost died of hyperthermia
    > > before I got 500 yards! People thought I'd totally lost it when I jumped
    > > into the river to cool down when I got back to the top.

    > Caving in a full wet suit can have a similar effect. Its wonderful when

    you
    > get to the wet bit -- even if there are lumps of ice in the water.

    Yes I threw mine away when it got to small (my excuse) but it was murder in
    anything other than full flood, I remember unzipping it and taking a cool
    plunge in the streamway in OFD after one such boil in the bag. Nowadays I
    just grit my teeth in a fluffy and oversuit.
    Low point of my caving has to be standing SBN in a snow covered field in
    Derbyshire putting on a wet wetsuit from the day before, then doing P8 in
    it.