Watership Down

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Serves it right for not wearing a helmet.

That's were you've been going wrong.

Helmets go on heads.

Shoes & socks go on feet (not in that order). If its cold neoprene
overshoes go on as well :)

anyone ever tried riding with a neoprene helmet like wot scuba divers
use? tried the jacket once, not recommended

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1109839003.146755.192330
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> anyone ever tried riding with a neoprene helmet like wot scuba divers
> use? tried the jacket once, not recommended

I've done worse than that. I've done the shuttle run for a canoe trip on a
bike wearing full dry trousers and dry top with Buffalo dungarees and top
underneath (it was about -8C that day). I almost died of hyperthermia
before I got 500 yards! People thought I'd totally lost it when I jumped
into the river to cool down when I got back to the top.

Graeme

"Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've done worse than that. I've done the shuttle run for a canoe trip on a
> bike wearing full dry trousers and dry top with Buffalo dungarees and top
> underneath (it was about -8C that day). I almost died of hyperthermia
> before I got 500 yards! People thought I'd totally lost it when I jumped
> into the river to cool down when I got back to the top.

Caving in a full wet suit can have a similar effect. Its wonderful when you
get to the wet bit -- even if there are lumps of ice in the water.

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I've done worse than that. I've done the shuttle run for a canoe trip on

> > bike wearing full dry trousers and dry top with Buffalo dungarees and

top
> > underneath (it was about -8C that day). I almost died of hyperthermia
> > before I got 500 yards! People thought I'd totally lost it when I jumped
> > into the river to cool down when I got back to the top.

> Caving in a full wet suit can have a similar effect. Its wonderful when

you
> get to the wet bit -- even if there are lumps of ice in the water.

Yes I threw mine away when it got to small (my excuse) but it was murder in
anything other than full flood, I remember unzipping it and taking a cool
plunge in the streamway in OFD after one such boil in the bag. Nowadays I
just grit my teeth in a fluffy and oversuit.
Low point of my caving has to be standing SBN in a snow covered field in
Derbyshire putting on a wet wetsuit from the day before, then doing P8 in
it.