Wattage at maximal aerobic power?

rouleur

Sep 20, 2005
Hey,

I'm a cat 2 from the U.S. and just started training with power - my maximal aerobic power test topped out at 627 watts. I'm 72.5kg's at 5'10" - Out of pure curiosity, how does this number compare with other cat 1/2 dudes?

rouleur said:
Hey,

I'm a cat 2 from the U.S. and just started training with power - my maximal aerobic power test topped out at 627 watts. I'm 72.5kg's at 5'10" - Out of pure curiosity, how does this number compare with other cat 1/2 dudes?
That's quite high by any standard measure. What test protocol was used and what power measurement device? Maybe you need an agent? ;)

rmur

It's more likely that I did the test wrong. Self-conducted the protocol on Ric Stern's website... Tried to ramp up 20w/min with a final (seated) push at the end I was outside, and it was mildly windy and totally falt. I started from an easy spin, 180w-200w. I believe that between 200 and 300/320 I ramped up too fast, which I assume could have an effect on the result?

The peak power before deflection was 627...

Oh, also, it was on a powertap pro.

And for the record I then did a sustainable time at this effort, written as "Tmax of critical power" in the Michael Ross book... Quickly get to the number derived from the modified conconi test and hold it as long as possible. 620-630 ends up being sustainable for around a minute.

Hmmm.... starting at 200w and ramping up to 627w at 20w/min would be a 21+ minute test. Is that how long your ride was?

Ric recommends modifying the starting power so that the test takes between 8-15 minutes, so for a friggin' powerhouse like you, a higher starting power would be in order (say ~300-400w)

Thanks for the advice - I will probably run the test again tommorow to be sure. I'll also know the data on test length as soon as I get the serial stuff hooked up (later tonight). I know that the ramp up was fast through the lower wattage ranges... It did take about 10-11 minutes to do.

I'm a bit surprised by the number - I was expecting lower. It's also the end of a very long season (I started racing at the end of February and have really only had a week of downtime), which was also my first as a cat 2. I guess it makes sense, in a way. I tend to lack sustainable power (20min>) but am a pretty decent lead out man.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

frenchyge said:
Hmmm.... starting at 200w and ramping up to 627w at 20w/min would be a 21+ minute test. Is that how long your ride was?

He recommends modifying the starting power so that the test takes between 8-15 minutes, so for a friggin' powerhouse like you, a higher starting power would be in order (say ~300-400w)

rouleur said:
Hey,

'
A much easier test (protocol wise) for most folks it to simply do you best 1/5/20 minute efforts ( for now) and see how you stack up on Coggan's power profiles. If you are not familiar with this, review the power FAQs available on the midweek club web site. Since it's pretty much the end of the road season here you should do this anyways to give you some numbers to work on improving during your next build period *next* season.

rouleur said:
Oh, also, it was on a powertap pro.

And for the record I then did a sustainable time at this effort, written as "Tmax of critical power" in the Michael Ross book... Quickly get to the number derived from the modified conconi test and hold it as long as possible. 620-630 ends up being sustainable for around a minute.

That's just nuts. Am I the ony one that thinks that's totaly nuts! That's almost 200 watts more than I could hold for a minute or so. That's like a whole other (small) person. Me and MiniMe against you and we've got a race. :p

I'm with you hammerhead! I'm frequently shocked at the power numbers some of the guys are cranking out here. I ride and train a LOT and I believe it's pretty good training. Have been doing it for years, and the most I've seen for a minute, this was on a group ride was 426W. Till I got my PM I thought I was pretty good! Now I realize I must suck.:) Or maybe the pros spend their down time on the internet.

rouleur said:
Hey,

That would be waaaaay better than cat 1 or 2 dudes! It's likely that 627 W is greater than anyone else has managed, especially with your mass!

I would guess that either your PT needs rezeroing or the protocol went way wrong somewhere. If you could score ~ 600 W, i'd start you at ~ 300 W and use a 20 W/min incremental rate.

Ric

Ric, thanks for the reply. I am planning on rerunning the test today and will post results in a couple of hours. Keep in mind that when I was done with the test I had pretty much "blown up" - I felt that I was going really hard.

I'd like your advice on the Michael Ross book by velopress - that is what I am planning on following next year.

Thanks!

rouleur said:
Ric, thanks for the reply. I am planning on rerunning the test today and will post results in a couple of hours. Keep in mind that when I was done with the test I had pretty much "blown up" - I felt that I was going really hard.

you should feel like cr@p at the end of it :)

I'd like your advice on the Michael Ross book by velopress - that is what I am planning on following next year.

Thanks!

i mentioned this in another thread, but i'll make some points

1) if you're anywhere near 600 W then quite obviously you're an excellent rider -- i would recommend coaching rather than a book (of course though, coaching isn't just for high level riders but anyone who is serious about improving)

2) I've not read the book. Given that in the excerpts i've seen, that have either been posted by people or on the books website, that he confuses scientific notions and gets stuff wrong, plus offers some slightly non conventional ideas in nutrition which run counter to the majority of what the most important researchers are suggesting, i would *not* recommend it.

Ric

flapsupcleanup said:
I'm with you hammerhead! I'm frequently shocked at the power numbers some of the guys are cranking out here. I ride and train a LOT and I believe it's pretty good training. Have been doing it for years, and the most I've seen for a minute, this was on a group ride was 426W. Till I got my PM I thought I was pretty good! Now I realize I must suck.:) Or maybe the pros spend their down time on the internet.
Well, you don't think anyone's gonna post "Hey, I just topped out my MAP test at 112W.... What does it mean?" do you? :D

frenchyge said:
Well, you don't think anyone's gonna post "Hey, I just topped out my MAP test at 112W.... What does it mean?" do you? :D
Evidently not! There is a chart floating around with W/kg numbers for different time periods and relating these numbers to various "levels" of cyclists from untrained to world class. In the short durations I find I am quite competitive with the "untrained" group. I'm considering changing my screen name to "craprider" or maybe "sissieboy". Waddya think?

flapsupcleanup said:
Evidently not! There is a chart floating around with W/kg numbers for different time periods and relating these numbers to various "levels" of cyclists from untrained to world class. In the short durations I find I am quite competitive with the "untrained" group. I'm considering changing my screen name to "craprider" or maybe "sissieboy". Waddya think?

The short durations (5-sec and 1-min) aren't related to MAP.

re-ran the test, outside, before a hard group ride. 511 watts, those there was a speak at 559.

peak power, which was a winning sprint, was 1266 watts. "the break" was formed when i put out a 700 watt jump, sustained around 500 for 40 seconds, and then we settled in at around 300 watts for 15 minutes.

the power link software sucks. i need to install powerlite or cyclingpeaks.

rouleur said:
peak power, which was a winning sprint, was 1266 watts. "the break" was formed when i put out a 700 watt jump, sustained around 500 for 40 seconds, and then we settled in at around 300 watts for 15 minutes.
That sounds a little more human than a 20+ minute ramp test to 630w. :)

frenchyge said:
That sounds a little more human than a 20+ minute ramp test to 630w. :)
Just wondering what % of max.HR is achieved during these tests: either absolute maximum or avg. over the last minute.

I'm sure it's supposed to well up there (>95% ??) but haven't seen any data ..

rmur