Wattage at maximal aerobic power?

Just installed a demo copy of cyclingpeaks, and the analysis is about 60 times easier.

511 watts at 174 bpm, cadence of 111. maxHR recorded this ride was 185bpm.

peak 5 minute was 334 watts, peak 10 was 291. it wasn't a time trial, it was a breakaway situation with 2 other riders... but it appears my power at threshold (170-172bpm) is about 315 or so. i need to do more testing, individual of group rides, for better figures.

1 hour, 20 minutes into the ride, after everyone else went home, i started a ten minute tempo interval, 285watts, avg HR was 158, avg speed 24.

damn, everything is making sense now.

thanks for the advice guys.

rmur17 said:
Just wondering what % of max.HR is achieved during these tests: either absolute maximum or avg. over the last minute.

I'm sure it's supposed to well up there (>95% ??) but haven't seen any data ..

rmur

rouleur said:
Just installed a demo copy of cyclingpeaks, and the analysis is about 60 times easier.

511 watts at 174 bpm, cadence of 111. maxHR recorded this ride was 185bpm.

peak 5 minute was 334 watts, peak 10 was 291. it wasn't a time trial, it was a breakaway situation with 2 other riders... but it appears my power at threshold (170-172bpm) is about 315 or so. i need to do more testing, individual of group rides, for better figures.

1 hour, 20 minutes into the ride, after everyone else went home, i started a ten minute tempo interval, 285watts, avg HR was 158, avg speed 24.

damn, everything is making sense now.

thanks for the advice guys.
just one thought comes to mind: is the 511W the average over the last minute of the test? I mean it should be the avg!

at an MAP of 511W your threshold (~hr TT) power ought to be roughly 75% or 385 +/- ~15W.

It's possible your threshold could be quite a bit higher or the MAP test wasn't quite right ... all IMHO ...
rmur

rouleur said:
Oh, also, it was on a powertap pro.

And for the record I then did a sustainable time at this effort, written as "Tmax of critical power" in the Michael Ross book... Quickly get to the number derived from the modified conconi test and hold it as long as possible. 620-630 ends up being sustainable for around a minute.
I've heard something like this somewhere before. Just for the record, both Ross' and Friel's redefinitions of critical power are inconsistent with the scientific literature, where the term had been adequately defined long before these two came along.
Also Conconi's test has mostly only been validated by Conconi himself and his colleagues; elsewhere it has been shown to be pretty much hopeless.

L.