Wattage overload

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
After a few years away from consistent endurance road cycling, I am starting to see way too much focus on wattage. We got newbies asking if they need a powermeter, as if their bike wouldn't roll without it. Then we got the super analytical ones who disect their ride and categorize stress levels and all that.

You guys just need to get on the road, make yourself hurt (if you want to ride fast), and most of all just have fun.

I think it's insane that people feel they need to spend a grand on a cyclecomputer in order to train well these days. But you know what? It's not just the cycling world. The entire society is becoming way too dependent on technology, and succuming to marketing and commercialization.

My point is don't forget to have fun out there, and don't stare at that LCD screen too much, you might ride off the road. :p

velomanct said:
After a few years away from consistent endurance road cycling, I am starting to see way too much focus on wattage. We got newbies asking if they need a powermeter, as if their bike wouldn't roll without it. Then we got the super analytical ones who disect their ride and categorize stress levels and all that.

You guys just need to get on the road, make yourself hurt (if you want to ride fast), and most of all just have fun.

I think it's insane that people feel they need to spend a grand on a cyclecomputer in order to train well these days. But you know what? It's not just the cycling world. The entire society is becoming way too dependent on technology, and succuming to marketing and commercialization.

My point is don't forget to have fun out there, and don't stare at that LCD screen too much, you might ride off the road. :p
Hi

Not quite sure what you feel gives you the right to tell other people what they should or should not be doing with their leisure time or their money. Why not let people make their own decisions?

PBUK

I tend to agree that many confuse being completely anal about data as being a shortcut to improved performance. There's no substitute for good ol' honest training (as long as it's smart and effective training). No shortcuts. No magic bullets.

The problem is that smart and effective training is actually quite rarely applied and that's where power meters really shine. While PMs are not the only way to train with smarts, they sure make the task of applying smart and effective training easier (for you and/or your coach).

Is it necessary to have a PM to have fun riding? No of course not. But improving performance through smart training sure makes having fun easier.

And for some people, analysis IS fun ;). Almost as much fun as riding.:D

I like powermeters, I think they are definitely useful, but I don't like how they are so overrated.

And yes, I ORDER, COMMAND you all to listen to me. LOL, I'm just stating what I'm noticing what is happening.

Oh yeah, if you want to be a good racer, you also need to buy those thousand dollar deep profile carbon wheels. (this is a joke too, btw)

velomanct said:
I like powermeters, I think they are definitely useful, but I don't like how they are so overrated.

I don't think they are overrated though. They're probably "over prescribed" or something like that but not overrated.

They only people who "need" a powermeter are those who have a cycling "goal" that involves fitness which they want to achieve in the most efficient manner. If you are one of those people, I'd argue that a using PM is effectively the only way to train smart.

If you're not one of those people, then you don't "need" a powermeter. Of course you don't "need" carbon bars etc. either.

beerco said:
I don't think they are overrated though. They're probably "over prescribed" or something like that but not overrated.

They only people who "need" a powermeter are those who have a cycling "goal" that involves fitness which they want to achieve in the most efficient manner. If you are one of those people, I'd argue that a using PM is effectively the only way to train smart.

If you're not one of those people, then you don't "need" a powermeter. Of course you don't "need" carbon bars etc. either.
yeah, i also don't think they are overrated either... they pretty much do what is claimed they do i.e. make your training much more efficient and take away much of the trial and error and guess work.

but i think there is WAY too much over analysis... but as Alex Simmons said, some people get their rock off on that so, god bless em...

as for having fun... i get lots of pleasure out of performing really good in a workout or even more fun from performing good in my races... what REALLY sucks for me is performing badly on group rides or in races.. in my case use of a powermeter has done nothing but make cycling MORE fun for me.

velomanct said:
Yeah, I know. It's like, all anyone wants to talk about on this forum. :rolleyes:

doctorSpoc said:
yeah, i also don't think they are overrated either... they pretty much do what is claimed they do i.e. make your training much more efficient and take away much of the trial and error and guess work.

but i think there is WAY too much over analysis... but as Alex Simmons said, some people get their rock off on that so, god bless em...

as for having fun... i get lots of pleasure out of performing really good in a workout or even more fun from performing good in my races... what REALLY sucks for me is performing badly on group rides or in races.. in my case use of a powermeter has done nothing but make cycling MORE fun for me.
Right on, brother.

Well....I think everybody can decide for themselves. Some of my fellow riders make fun of me, but I really enjoy riding with a PM. The analysis is fun as well. My personal decision. Nobody else's business, right?

doctorSpoc said:

I think powermeters had their "jumped the shark" moment here when there was that thread by the guy who wanted to test the sprinting stiffness of bikes he was contemplating buying by throwing his powertap on each one.

Do the wattage geeks go overboard? Oh sure. I'd still recommend a powermeter to anyone who was serious about training, though. Actually, the data that proves how much you're improving because of your training is really what's fun, for me anyway.

What we need to ask is this: did Jacques Anquetil use one?

No.

So neither do we.

And this clipless pedal nonsense is just a flash in the pan. And I'm biding my time before I buy these derailleur gear things. I'm quite happy in a crit when the final sprint looms to stop, take my back wheel out, flip it to the 14 sprocket, replace it, do the wing nuts up and chase, catch the bunch and glide past to victory.

:D

grahamspringett said:
What we need to ask is this: did Jacques Anquetil use one?

No.

So neither do we.

And this clipless pedal nonsense is just a flash in the pan. And I'm biding my time before I buy these derailleur gear things. I'm quite happy in a crit when the final sprint looms to stop, take my back wheel out, flip it to the 14 sprocket, replace it, do the wing nuts up and chase, catch the bunch and glide past to victory.

:D
You mean you don't have a quick release skewer!!:eek::D

How else can you express your abilty, target intensity and measure improvement in a way that any one else could understand?

velomanct said:

I don't have a power meter, but I do have that power meter thingie that comes with the Kurt Kinetic trainer.

I quite "enjoy" (if you can you that term for high SST and low L4 intervals) looking at my wattage and slowly seeing it increase over the winter months. I'm sure the folks with the PT and other real power meters enjoy what they are doing quite as well.

velomanct said:

And yes, I ORDER, COMMAND you all to listen to me. LOL, I'm just stating what I'm noticing what is happening.

Oh yeah, if you want to be a good racer, you also need to buy those thousand dollar deep profile carbon wheels. (this is a joke too, btw)
So basically your original post happened just because you woke up today and decided to be a **** disturber, huh?

Alex Simmons said:
I tend to agree that many confuse being completely anal about data as being a shortcut to improved performance. There's no substitute for good ol' honest training (as long as it's smart and effective training). No shortcuts. No magic bullets.

The problem is that smart and effective training is actually quite rarely applied and that's where power meters really shine. While PMs are not the only way to train with smarts, they sure make the task of applying smart and effective training easier (for you and/or your coach).

Is it necessary to have a PM to have fun riding? No of course not. But improving performance through smart training sure makes having fun easier.

And for some people, analysis IS fun ;). Almost as much fun as riding.:D
Alex makes excellent points and I would say in addition that the faster you get, the smarter you need to train in order to improve further. A powermeter simply helps one train smarter.
Best,
Bill Black

indeed there is no substitute for hard work but what is needed is hard work when and how it counts in order to maximise the time and effort efficiency of training. power meters simply maximise that efficiency, yes they come at a cost, but for many they are a truly smart purchase.

for those with a disliking of all things watts this is definately the wrong forum just as weightweenies is probably not for you if you're not really into the "per kilo" side of the equation!

Is there something wrong with me if I have fun looking at all my ride data, geeking out on the numbers and charts? It's bonus after the ride fun.

mikeyp123 said:
Is there something wrong with me if I have fun looking at all my ride data, geeking out on the numbers and charts? It's bonus after the ride fun.
Yes, there is something wrong with you. Now excuse me whilst I get back to a match analysis of my last 4 club ride files. :cool: