Watts and intervals, alright... maybe I see the value.

stormer94

May 19, 2004
You guys that hang in the power training threads know I'm having a dilly of a time ironing out a defective powertap SL. Still do not have it ironed out, and am waiting for more parts.

Also, I think largely due to my disgust with it's failure over 3 training days, I have begun to question the value of training with power. You hard core "watts" guys claim that it's all about the watts, but I feel you still had to base your watt zones on HR... And I've seen it in posts here how a rider says he's pulling x-watts on one day, and way lower watts the next day at a higher heart rate... They kind of all go together. When I pointed out that generated watts over a distance was a nice average to look at, I got shot down, based on aerodynamics, surges... blah...blah...blah... "Can't compare it"... So if you can't compare it then it's value is?.... :rolleyes: ;)

All that said, My training schedule for today (see attachment) 1.5 hour ride included 10x1 minute zone 5 efforts on a 3 minute recovery. I remember reading somebody posting how short intervals are over "before my HR even gets it's socks on"... That is true, and I've never argued against HR lag, but odds are, you are still going to be doing the same amount of work. If you need to get to zone 5 from say zone 1 or 2, in 60 seconds, you are gonna have to put out a pretty good effort. Watts or no watts, to do that amount of work you will be WORKING, and pretty hard.

Here's what I noticed based on THIS specific training day, Fast, short duration intervals.
On the first one, I overshot the effort, and my speed was dropping like a rock before it was over. The second was more stable, as I understood the effort more, and by the 10th one, I was more "in the zone". Had I been using watts, they would have all been the same, no question. That would have been pretty handy. If the goal was to push hard enough to blow up and slow down, I'd know the watts to do. If the goal was to survive and ramp up the speed and HR to peak at exactly 60 seconds, I likely would also know the watt number.

I'll give you guys this one. Would have been handy today. Even though all we would have really accomplished is a more accurate look at a short duration excercise and writing off the HR lag time.

on the attached image, the difference in the speed on every other interval is the difference between with the wind, and against.

stormer94 said:
Also, I think largely due to my disgust with it's failure over 3 training days, I have begun to question the value of training with power.

Hey man, if you don't want to train with a powermeter....don't ;)

beerco said:
Hey man, if you don't want to train with a powermeter....don't ;)

Yea, but I got the thing... Just trying to find it's value, relative to my personal situation. Plus, I'm working some dissapointment issues.

What is it's real value to any rider? It's important to know, and if you read these forums, there are a LOT of fence sitters. :)

Stormer, if your HR went from 110-165+ in 1 minute, and you weren't able to hold the pace for the whole minute, then I can guarantee that you were working *way* beyond zone 5. That's part of the point....

Edit: Ok, that might have been a little hasty, so let my re-phrase as "...*way* beyond the Coggan or Stern zone 5."

Read this site to get an idea how you should be using your powermeter and how to understand all the numbers:

http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411.html

Don't train with power like you would have using HR training. You will end up wasting your money and time and not getting any faster. First, you need find out what is your LT power or Functional Threshold. Just how much power you can produce within 1 hour. CyclingPeak suggests you do 2x20 interval at TT pace. You think 1 minute at zone5 is hard? Try do 2x20 TT interval. :D I will take the highest norm power (referring to the cyclingpeak software) from one of the intervals as my LT power or estimated FT (functional threshold). It is just that not anyone can do a 1 hour TT above LT. Then, you plug in your norm power here:
http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/tools/CogganTrainingLevels.xls

This will break down your power zone. Let's say at zone 2 you have to generate no more than certain power (watts) range. At zone5, you have to generate at so and so power range.

I don't need to do these 2x20 or 1x30 TT interval knowing my HR because I go by my preceived exertion level (how I feel). Every time my HR is either 180 or 181. My power range is very consistent. If your power drops unexpectedly, you have some serious issue with your training.

Stormer, I doubt that anybody will convince you of the value of training with power, but I'll respond to a couple of your specific misinterpretations.

stormer94 said:
You hard core "watts" guys claim that it's all about the watts, but I feel you still had to base your watt zones on HR
Short answer...No. The training zones are derived from one's maximum sustainable power over a duration or maximum power in the last minute of a progressive build-up to exhaustion. Even though there are multiple schools of thought about which is the best power number to use to derive training zones (40K MP, 20min MP, LT, MAP, etc.), the underlying concept is the same: what is your maximum sustainable power at this duration or at this transition (e.g., LT). HR is often correlated with this power number, but it is not the basis of the training zones.

stormer94 said:
And I've seen it in posts here how a rider says he's pulling x-watts on one day, and way lower watts the next day at a higher heart rate... They kind of all go together.
No, they don't. At least they don't go together predictably and consistently. I can ride at precisely the same output (watts) on two different days and even at two different times on the same day and get quite different HRs each time. That's the point. Riding intervals or TTs or anything based on HR is to base your output on a moving target. The intensity required to produce x watts is the same day after day.

stormer94 said:
When I pointed out that generated watts over a distance was a nice average to look at, I got shot down, based on aerodynamics, surges... blah...blah...blah... "Can't compare it"... So if you can't compare it then it's value is?.... :rolleyes: ;)
Frankly, I don't know what you want to compare to what. Average watts over a duration is a useful number to analyze and may be helpful during a ride. But, you manage your power real-time (although not necessarily by fixating on the watts indicator).

stormer94 said:
I remember reading somebody posting how short intervals are over "before my HR even gets it's socks on"... That is true, and I've never argued against HR lag, but odds are, you are still going to be doing the same amount of work.
You are so wrong. I made that statement, with respect to a training ride in which I did 47 L6 intervals. In my current schema, L6 is 330w+. I can do 1 min intervals up to a maximum of ~600w, but I only wanted to do them at 330w-350w. There's a huge difference and, yes, the intervals were over before my HR moved much above 75%MHR. I could not have managed those intervals with any precision with my HRM. Now, you could argue that I would gotten the same training benefit from a 1 min interval at 600w as I did at 330w, but I would respond, "Maybe so, but I wouldn't have been able to complete the session."

stormer94 said:
If you need to get to zone 5 from say zone 1 or 2, in 60 seconds, you are gonna have to put out a pretty good effort.
How about 2 seconds? After 60 seconds, I'm shutting down.

stormer94 said:
I'll give you guys this one. Would have been handy today. Even though all we would have really accomplished is a more accurate look at a short duration excercise and writing off the HR lag time.
A PM enables you to manage output and monitor your progress over time far more precisely than your HRM. Until you see the value in doing so, for training and racing, you will not see the value in a PM.

Like I said, I don't expect to convince you. Just setting the record straight.

RapDaddyo said:
Like I said, I don't expect to convince you. Just setting the record straight.

I'm not looking to be convinced, just trying understand what my options are with a power meter. and how they may or may not relate to how my personal riding.

I don't know... maybe I am looking to be convinced (but I don't think so).... I'm still bummin' and trying to, perhaps, figure a way around a piece of equipment that is defective.

I'm still hoping to ride with it someday. I'm a gadget guy, at the very LEAST, there is a serious gadget that needs my attention.

stormer94 said:
I'm not looking to be convinced, just trying understand what my options are with a power meter. and how they may or may not relate to how my personal riding.
Actually, if I had to guess what drives your skepticism it is your belief that you can pace your efforts and measure/monitor your progress with a sufficient degree of precision with your HRM. The problem is that unless you see a side-by-side comparison of actual intensity (measured by watts) with your proxy for intensity (HRM), you will never know that your underlying assumption is (...drumroll...) false.

RapDaddyo said:
Actually, if I had to guess what drives your skepticism it is your belief that you can pace your efforts and measure/monitor your progress with a sufficient degree of precision with your HRM. The problem is that unless you see a side-by-side comparison of actual intensity (measured by watts) with your proxy for intensity (HRM), you will never know that your underlying assumption is (...drumroll...) false.

You're probably right. But... but... but.... ;)

stormer94 said:
Yea, but I got the thing... Just trying to find it's value, relative to my personal situation. Plus, I'm working some dissapointment issues.

What is it's real value to any rider? It's important to know, and if you read these forums, there are a LOT of fence sitters. :)

Sorry, I guess I'm just lashing out. Since I have nothing to gain by promoting powermeter use, and have gotten nothing but ridicule or worse by the HR cro-mags I've been proselytizing to, I've decided to stop waving the flag.

But since you asked, training with a power meter has opened my eyes to what's really going on in my body when I'm training and (i think) has allowed me to spend my time on the bike more efficiently (i.e. more training effect with less time on the bike). It also illustrated what folly training with an HR meter is. I stopped wearing the strap about two years ago and haven't looked back since. The power based training I did was good enough to bag me 4 race wins last year (as a 4) , with a win in every type of race, RR (state champ), Crit, TT and Stage race.

This year it's showing me how quickly or slowly I'm losing fitness :( due to a lack of consistent training...thank's new job. :D

beerco said:
training with a power meter has opened my eyes to what's really going on in my body when I'm training and (i think) has allowed me to spend my time on the bike more efficiently (i.e. more training effect with less time on the bike). It also illustrated what folly training with an HR meter is.
I couldn't agree more, beerco. When one has been training (in some cases, for years) with a HRM under the firmly held (but false) belief that his HR is a reliable proxy for intensity of effort, a PM quickly and convincingly shatters this belief. But, trying to convince a HRM-devotee of this truth is virtually impossible. Of course, just because one is firm in his conviction doesn't make his conviction true. I would love to have been there to see the looks on the faces of those who learned the world wasn't actually flat.

RapDaddyo said:
......who learned the world wasn't actually flat.
Wha-wha-WHAT?!? :eek:

Maybe you should take a trip through Kansas sometime. I think I can see China from my roof. :D

I'm still in the 'playing' stage with my PM. Raced a training crit with it on Tuesday and that was a bit of an eye opener. Power hammered between 800 and zero about 3x per minute for the entire time ("Free bites" - my A$$! :D ). Of course, I'm a willing believer so it's not like I'm holding on to any illusions waiting to be shattered.