watts given speed and wind

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Xzzy, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    I need to know number of watts given speed, road grade, wind for elevation of 5600ft. And the
    equation as I will need to calculate his again in the future. The reason is the doctors require that
    I ride to keep the injuries ( after all the surgeries ) from turning into arthitis. The insurance
    company is filming me trying to prove that I was never injured by their driver's car that ran over
    me 2 1/2 years ago.

    Right now I need to know number of watts given: speed = 20mph wind = 19mph tailwind road grade = 0%
    elevation = 5600ft

    Thanks,

    John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  3. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    450 watts at threshold up hill at 7%.

    now that im riding for the druggist big al and put out 450 watts at threshold I should be beating
    zoops record at the tour next year. oldest mofo to win a tour. 38.....and on my way out of the
    winners circle I think I will stop by and pick up Kristin Armstrong for an all nighter......

    thanks jeff Jones, your tops bradda.

  4. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    thanks, I went through all their equations before posting and did not find what I was looking for.

    I need to solve for watts with variables: wind, my speed, road grade, and elevation.

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > xzzy wrote:
    > > I need to know number of watts given speed, road grade, wind for elevation of 5600ft. And the
    > > equation as I will need to calculate his again in the future.
    >
    > http://www.analyticcycling.com/DiffEqWindCourse_Page.html

  5. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I need to know number of watts given speed, road grade, wind for elevation of 5600ft. And the
    > > equation as I will need to calculate his again in the future. The reason is the doctors require
    > > that I ride to keep the
    > injuries
    > > ( after all the surgeries ) from turning into arthitis. The insurance company is filming me
    > > trying to prove that I was never injured by their driver's car that ran over me 2 1/2 years ago.
    > >
    > > Right now I need to know number of watts given: speed = 20mph wind = 19mph tailwind road grade =
    > > 0% elevation = 5600ft
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com
    > >

    > That is ridiculous. You only need to prove damage, not loss of power. Talk to your lawyer before
    > you commit to this. You only need to use this evidence if it helps your case. They have no right
    > to demand it and imply that this is the only possible damage evidence.

    If John was filmed doing what he said above it could be used as proof of damage since the power
    needed to ride like that is very low. So let the insurance company try to use their film. John can
    counter by saying he used to be able to ride at 24mph with a 19mph tailwind while at 5600 feet
    elevation. He has apparently lost 20-50% (?) of his power and for a serious cyclist like John (was)
    that is a major impact on his quality of life.

    -WG

  6. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > thanks, I went through all their equations before posting and did not find what I was looking for.
    >
    > I need to solve for watts with variables: wind, my speed, road grade, and elevation.

    I prefer this one:

    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

    Looks like it's got less equipment variables, but it's really easy to use and seems to give fairly
    good results.

    Jeff

  7. Alan Hoyle

    Alan Hoyle Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:01:02 GMT, xzzy wrote:
    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> xzzy wrote:
    >> > I need to know number of watts given speed, road grade, wind for elevation of 5600ft. And the
    >> > equation as I will need to calculate his again in the future.
    >>
    >> http://www.analyticcycling.com/DiffEqWindCourse_Page.html

    > thanks, I went through all their equations before posting and did not find what I was looking for.
    >
    > I need to solve for watts with variables: wind, my speed, road grade, and elevation.

    This page seems a bit closer to what you want:

    http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesPower_Page.html

    It seems you need to know the values of more variables.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/ "I don't want the world, I just want your
    half." -TMBG Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  8. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:151020031615388845%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > The insurance company is filming me trying to prove that I was never injured by
    their
    > > > driver's car that ran over me 2 1/2 years ago.

    > > That is ridiculous. You only need to prove damage, not loss of power.
    Talk
    > > to your lawyer before you commit to this. You only need to use this
    evidence
    > > if it helps your case. They have no right to demand it and imply that
    this
    > > is the only possible damage evidence.
    >

    > If John was filmed doing what he said above it could be used as proof of damage since the power
    > needed to ride like that is very low. So let the insurance company try to use their film. John can
    > counter by saying he used to be able to ride at 24mph with a 19mph tailwind while at 5600 feet
    > elevation. He has apparently lost 20-50% (?) of his power and for a serious cyclist like John
    > (was) that is a major impact on his quality of life.
    >
    > -WG

    I would not risk it. I jury may have a vastly different perception about what 50 watts means vs.
    "flying along" on a bike. Maybe Brian can offer his thoughts (as an attorney) but it seems like a
    huge gamble with more downside then potential gain.

  9. Squidvark

    Squidvark Guest

    warren <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If John was filmed doing what he said above it could be used as proof of damage since the power
    >needed to ride like that is very low. So let the insurance company try to use their film. John can
    >counter by saying he used to be able to ride at 24mph with a 19mph tailwind while at 5600 feet
    >elevation. He has apparently lost 20-50% (?) of his power and for a serious cyclist like John (was)
    >that is a major impact on his quality of life.

    Why not just have seizures during filming and up the claim by a few million? These people need to be
    punished for hitting cyclists and insuring people who do. You can only get through to people via
    their pocketbook these days.

  10. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    Jeff, thanks, that is what I was looking for and it calculated 52 watts which is very close to what
    I had guesstimated.

    John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > thanks, I went through all their equations before posting and did not
    find
    > > what I was looking for.
    > >
    > > I need to solve for watts with variables: wind, my speed, road grade,
    and
    > > elevation.
    > >
    > I prefer this one:
    >
    > http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
    >
    > Looks like it's got less equipment variables, but it's really easy to use and seems to give fairly
    > good results.
    >
    > Jeff

  11. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f8da9c7$0$24175
    [email protected]:

    > "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> thanks, I went through all their equations before posting and did not
    find
    >> what I was looking for.
    >>
    >> I need to solve for watts with variables: wind, my speed, road grade,
    and
    >> elevation.
    >>
    > I prefer this one:
    >
    > http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
    >
    > Looks like it's got less equipment variables, but it's really easy to use and seems to give fairly
    > good results.
    >
    > Jeff

    That's a very cool site Jeff. Thanks.

    - Boyd S.

  12. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > thanks, I went through all their equations before posting and did not find what I was
    > > looking for.
    > >
    > > I need to solve for watts with variables: wind, my speed, road grade, and elevation.
    > >
    > I prefer this one:
    >
    > http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
    >
    > Looks like it's got less equipment variables, but it's really easy to use and seems to give fairly
    > good results.

    Sprinting up a brief 25% grade hill, a 15-second all-out effort at about 15 mph, no wind, comes out
    to 1257 watts... yeah, it felt like it...

    -Sonarrat.

  13. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Squidvark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > warren <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >If John was filmed doing what he said above it could be used as proof of damage since the power
    > >needed to ride like that is very low. So let the insurance company try to use their film. John
    > >can counter by saying he used to be able to ride at 24mph with a 19mph tailwind while at 5600
    > >feet elevation. He has apparently lost 20-50% (?) of his power and for a serious cyclist like
    > >John (was) that is a major impact on his quality of life.
    >
    > Why not just have seizures during filming and up the claim by a few million? These people need to
    > be punished for hitting cyclists and insuring people who do. You can only get through to people
    > via their pocketbook these days.

    LOL. There you go. You can barely throw your leg over the t-t and when you do it keeps going and you
    fall down on the other side.

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Sprinting up a brief 25% grade hill, a 15-second all-out effort at about
    15 mph,
    > no wind, comes out to 1257 watts... yeah, it felt like it...
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Again, something is not right. Nobody you know did that.

    If you did, I would like to offer you a pro contract. Please contact me ASAP.

  15. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > Sprinting up a brief 25% grade hill, a 15-second all-out effort at about
    > 15 mph,
    > > no wind, comes out to 1257 watts... yeah, it felt like it...
    > >
    > > -Sonarrat.
    >
    > Again, something is not right. Nobody you know did that.
    >
    > If you did, I would like to offer you a pro contract. Please contact me ASAP.

    Perhaps it would help to mention that I didn't -average- 15 mph, but instead held it for about a
    second before cracking so hard that I only reached the top of the hill by turning my body in a
    vaguely circular way (good for about 5 mph) - I'd have to be a complete idiot to push myself that
    hard if it wasn't just before the finish line. I couldn't stand up for about 3 minutes afterward.
    I'll take the pro contract though, I'm only 20 and have lots of room for improvement :)

    -Sonarrat.

  16. Nick Burns wrote:

    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>Sprinting up a brief 25% grade hill, a 15-second all-out effort at about
    >
    > 15 mph,
    >
    >>no wind, comes out to 1257 watts... yeah, it felt like it...
    >>
    >>-Sonarrat.
    >

    > Again, something is not right. Nobody you know did that.

    With this guy, halving the gradients that he quotes is the rule of thumb. 15 seconds up 12.5% at
    15mph, then fall over is doable.

  17. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Nick Burns wrote:
    >
    > > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > >>Sprinting up a brief 25% grade hill, a 15-second all-out effort at about
    > >
    > > 15 mph,
    > >
    > >>no wind, comes out to 1257 watts... yeah, it felt like it...
    > >>
    > >>-Sonarrat.
    > >

    > > Again, something is not right. Nobody you know did that.
    >
    > With this guy,

    > halving the gradients that he quotes is the rule of thumb.

    Come over here and say that.

    > 15 seconds up 12.5% at 15mph, then fall over is doable.

    I touched 15 mph and probably averaged half that. Happy?

    -Sonarrat.

  18. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    > > 15 seconds up 12.5% at 15mph, then fall over is doable.
    >
    > I touched 15 mph and probably averaged half that. Happy?

    And further, I did fall over, hard. Forgive me for not having my head on straight after such
    an effort.

    I still believe that if that other hill is not 40%, it's at least well over 30%...

    -Sonarrat.

  19. Sonarrat wrote:

    > I touched 15 mph and probably averaged half that. Happy?

    Alexandre, I am always happy. Perhaps you can go over to that thread on "improving my climbing" and
    give the chap there some advice. Your pulling 1200+ watts for 1 second out of your ass is as
    interesting as the estimate of momentary peak power output for a track sprinter of 2000+ watts.
    Interesting, but irrelevant compared to the reality that you probably averaged around 6-700W for the
    15 seconds.

  20. "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > 15 seconds up 12.5% at 15mph, then fall over is doable.
    > >
    > > I touched 15 mph and probably averaged half that. Happy?
    >
    > And further, I did fall over, hard. Forgive me for not having my head on straight after such
    > an effort.
    >
    > I still believe that if that other hill is not 40%, it's at least well over 30%...

    Dumbass -

    You went 15mph up a 30+% hill?

    What a load of crap.