watts given speed and wind

Sonarrat wrote:

> I still believe that if that other hill is not 40%, it's at least well over 30%...

Alexandre, Belief is irrelevant. Go and measure it. Jobst will show you how. Report back.

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1066289825.78068@ns...

> Sonarrat wrote:
>
> > I touched 15 mph and probably averaged half that. Happy?
>
> Alexandre, I am always happy. Perhaps you can go over to that thread on "improving my climbing"
> and give the chap there some advice.

My advice would be to lose 50 pounds... so I doubt I would be much help.

> Your pulling 1200+ watts for 1 second out of your ass is as interesting as the estimate of
> momentary peak power output for a track sprinter of 2000+ watts. Interesting, but irrelevant
> compared to the reality that you probably averaged around 6-700W for the 15 seconds.

Agreed. I'm not exactly patting myself on the back for coming within a watt of rejecting my
Gatorade, either.

-Sonarrat.

news:%[email protected]...

> > > I touched 15 mph and probably averaged half that. Happy?
> >
> > And further, I did fall over, hard. Forgive me for not having my head on straight after such an
> > effort.
> >
> > I still believe that if that other hill is not 40%, it's at least well over 30%...
>

> Dumbass -
>

> You went 15mph up a 30+% hill?
>
> What a load of ****.

No, between 20-25%. I apologize for not quoting the entire thread so that you could read it.

Is it that hard to believe that I can produce 1000+ watts for one lousy second?

-Sonarrat.

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Dumbass -
> >

> > You went 15mph up a 30+% hill?
> >
> > What a load of ****.
>
> No, between 20-25%. I apologize for not quoting the entire thread so that
you
> could read it.

Accepted.

> Is it that hard to believe that I can produce 1000+ watts for one lousy
second?

I can believe that.

The 30+% I would not believe, not only because few have that sort of power to weight ratio, but
also due to problems in getting that power to the ground (very significant traction problems at
that pitch).

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> "Sonarrat"
>>>
>>> You went 15mph up a 30+% hill?
>>>
>> No, between 20-25%. I apologize for not quoting the entire thread so that you could read it.
>>
>> Is it that hard to believe that I can produce 1000+ watts for one lousy second?
>
> I can believe that.

A second is a long time. I believe it's possible that his instantaneous max is above a kilowatt but
it would be hard to do so for a full second on a 20-25% hill -- his pedal velocity isn't likely to
be high so his crank torque would need to be very (very very) high for a full revolution in order to
compensate. Bottom line: yes, it's possible; yes, it's hard to believe.

He still needs to make one of these and report back:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/bike-grade.html

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > "Sonarrat"

> >> No, between 20-25%. I apologize for not quoting the entire thread so that you could read it.
> >>
> >> Is it that hard to believe that I can produce 1000+ watts for one lousy second?
> >
> > I can believe that.
>
> A second is a long time. I believe it's possible that his instantaneous max is above a kilowatt
> but it would be hard to do so for a full second on a 20-25% hill -- his pedal velocity isn't
> likely to be high so his crank torque would need to be very (very very) high for a full revolution
> in order to compensate. Bottom line: yes, it's possible; yes, it's hard to believe.
>
> He still needs to make one of these and report back:
> http://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/bike-grade.html

Sigh.

I guess it's my arrogance that gets me in these situations.

-Sonarrat.

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> news:%[email protected]...

> > > And further, I did fall over, hard. Forgive me for not having my head
on
> > > straight after such an effort.
> > >
> > > I still believe that if that other hill is not 40%, it's at least well
over
> > > 30%...
> >

> > Dumbass -
> >

> > You went 15mph up a 30+% hill?
> >
> > What a load of ****.
>
> No, between 20-25%. I apologize for not quoting the entire thread so that
you
> could read it.
>
> Is it that hard to believe that I can produce 1000+ watts for one lousy
second?

> -Sonarrat.

But here is what you posted:

>>Sprinting up a brief 25% grade hill, a 15-second all-out effort at about
15 mph,
>>no wind, comes out to 1257 watts... yeah, it felt like it...

>>-Sonarrat.

From 15 seconds to one second. There is no way to no what happened really. I was trying to be nice
when I pointed out the flaws in your claim. You really should not get defensive after making such a
ridiculous claim. Some cyclists work with these cumber so often that when you see something so far
out of range, it sounds like complete fantasy. I suggest you owe Stewart an apology, but that is
your call.

You know what ? Just forget the numbers and chest thumping from spreadsheet afficionados. Just
get some great results, and people will pay YOU to know your numbers. Ride, win, then chuckle.
Best medicine.

Bonne route -

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > > "Sonarrat"

> > > I can believe that.
> >
> > A second is a long time. I believe it's possible that his instantaneous max is above a kilowatt
> > but it would be hard to do so for a full second
on
> > a 20-25% hill -- his pedal velocity isn't likely to be high so his crank torque would need to be
> > very (very very) high for a full revolution in order to compensate. Bottom line: yes, it's
> > possible; yes, it's hard to believe.
> >
> > He still needs to make one of these and report back:
> > http://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/bike-grade.html
>
> Sigh.
>
> I guess it's my arrogance that gets me in these situations.
>
> -Sonarrat.

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sonarrat Citalis wrote:
>
> > I'll be happy if I can do the TT in under 40 minutes, and I doubt I will go too far under that
> > mark if at all.
> >
> > -Sonarrat.
>
> Hey--
>
> You're the guy who used to post over at rec.music.classical? Another
musical
> cyclist. Good luck with the racing.

Classical music and bike racing are not mutually exclusive! Well in one sense they are I guess. I
gave up piano (learned for 10 yrs) once I started cycling. I still have the appreciation of music
though. German is the best of course ;-)

Oddly coincidental is that Sonarrat's real name is exactly the same as mine.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that he does under 30 mins for his first 10 mile TT. Unless it's
up a 25% hill.

Jeff

Jeff Jones wrote:

> Classical music and bike racing are not mutually exclusive! Well in one sense they are I guess. I
> gave up piano (learned for 10 yrs) once I started cycling. I still have the appreciation of music
> though. German is the best of course ;-)

Didn't we have this discussion a couple of months ago? Being a guitarist, I play a lot of
Italian and Spanish music, but all guitarists love Bach.

> Oddly coincidental is that Sonarrat's real name is exactly the same as mine.

His name isn't Sonarrat?

> I'll go out on a limb and predict that he does under 30 mins for his first 10 mile TT. Unless it's
> up a 25% hill.
>
> Jeff

You like to live dangerously, eh? ;-) No pressure...

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Jeff Jones wrote:
>

> > Classical music and bike racing are not mutually exclusive! Well in one sense they are I guess.
> > I gave up piano (learned for 10 yrs) once I started cycling. I still have the appreciation of
> > music though. German is the best of course ;-)

The Germans and Austrians were top of the heap as far as advanced harmonic thinking, at least until
the early 20th century when the Russians started making their presence known in the West... to say
nothing of Messiaen, Janacek, Szymanowski, Enescu.

> Didn't we have this discussion a couple of months ago? Being a guitarist, I play a lot of
> Italian and Spanish music, but all guitarists love Bach.

And Scarlatti.

> > Oddly coincidental is that Sonarrat's real name is exactly the same as mine.
>
> His name isn't Sonarrat?

Nope, that's my trademark pseudonym. And yes, I'm the same one who posted in rec.music.classical,
and more recently in rec.music.classical.recordings.

> > I'll go out on a limb and predict that he does under 30 mins for his first 10 mile TT. Unless
> > it's up a 25% hill.
>
> You like to live dangerously, eh? ;-) No pressure...

Over 20 mph the first time out? I will do my best... but nothing in my training rides has suggested
I can do that yet.

-Sonarrat.

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Classical music and bike racing are not mutually exclusive! Well in one sense they are I guess. I
> gave up piano (learned for 10 yrs) once I started cycling.

Dumbass -

Classically trained, or jack of all trades?

> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Classical music and bike racing are not mutually exclusive! Well in one sense they are I guess.
> > I gave up piano (learned for 10 yrs) once I started cycling.
>

> Dumbass -
>
> Classically trained, or jack of all trades?

Purely classically trained. I was in a jazz band in junior high but nothing came of it. I'm now in
college going for a B.M. in piano performance.

Now Dad's balking at me driving an 800-mile round trip to run a 10-mile time

Fatty Master's inline speed skating nationals every year.) Sometime this weekend I'll run 10
miles of flat, stoplight-free road and mark down the results... 5 miles out and 5 back like Tom's
Time Trial.

-Sonarrat.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote:

> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Now Dad's balking at me driving an 800-mile round trip to run a 10-mile time trial.
>
> Ah... I just found something much better, though, a mountain time-trial not 3 miles from where I
> live put on by a local club. It's a 7-mile climb. If I had any mettle, this would be the place to
> show it...
>
> http://www.teamsanjose.org/winterseries/henrycoe.html
>
> -Sonarrat.

That's a good climb. I thought it was pretty fun and a very decent workout. Go do it.

--
tanx, Howard

"We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain We tell jokes to make you
laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..." The Dictators

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Sonarrat Citalis wrote:

> And Scarlatti.

Like I said--plenty of Italians and Spaniards.

>>>Oddly coincidental is that Sonarrat's real name is exactly the same as mine.
>>
>> His name isn't Sonarrat?
>

> Nope, that's my trademark pseudonym. And yes, I'm the same one who posted in rec.music.classical,
> and more recently in rec.music.classical.recordings.
>

>>>I'll go out on a limb and predict that he does under 30 mins for his first 10 mile TT. Unless
>>>it's up a 25% hill.
>>
>>You like to live dangerously, eh? ;-) No pressure...
>

> Over 20 mph the first time out? I will do my best... but nothing in my training rides has
> suggested I can do that yet.
>
> -Sonarrat.

Maybe not, but racing is different, and the motivation is of another order of magnitude. You
may surprise yourself.

Good luck, Steve

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sometime this weekend I'll run 10 miles of flat, stoplight-free road and mark down
the
> results... 5 miles out and 5 back like Tom's Time Trial.

My time trial is about 19 km. and has a 500 foot gain out the way in and perhaps another 100 on
the way out.