Watts in Alpes stages !

great. article. thanks.

It says Sastre's performance equaled that of Piepoli and Cobo, and what is more astounding is that he did this in the third week of the tour and at a much harder stage.

EvilJediJ said:
great. article. thanks.

It says Sastre's performance equaled that of Piepoli and Cobo, and what is more astounding is that he did this in the third week of the tour and at a much harder stage.

Maybe I'm missing something but if all the riders are given a 78kg weight then the info is pretty meaningless. For instance Carlos Sastre weighs 60kg - say 10kg for bike, shoes, clothes etc that puts him at 70kg which means his required wattage to climb Alpe du Huez drops from 430 to 386...

The info is only really useful if they give actual weight of riders...

Disclaimer: Like I said - maybe I'm missing something - if anyone else has a better clue than me please let me know!

Eldron,

What I think it means is that they adjust the power watt level of the rider to 78 Kg, so that you can make comparisons between riders. Say someone heavier like Menchov vs. Sastre on climb. Obviously Sastre doesn't need to put out more watts to go faster then Denis..but they adjust Sastre's measured output so that if he did Weigh 78kg this is what he would have put out. Those aren't his actual PW measurements.

Eldron said:
Maybe I'm missing something but if all the riders are given a 78kg weight then the info is pretty meaningless. For instance Carlos Sastre weighs 60kg - say 10kg for bike, shoes, clothes etc that puts him at 70kg which means his required wattage to climb Alpe du Huez drops from 430 to 386...

The info is only really useful if they give actual weight of riders...

Disclaimer: Like I said - maybe I'm missing something - if anyone else has a better clue than me please let me know!
Of course you are missing the most important... that is not a tool to measure the power of riders but more a tool to compare perfomance of riders.
Already has be said that you can compare riders together despite their weight, and of course you can do comparaison on different cols, different years...

Don't forget you never know the real weight of a rider on a stage, their weight decreases stage after stage...

EvilJediJ said:
Eldron,

What I think it means is that they adjust the power watt level of the rider to 78 Kg, so that you can make comparisons between riders. Say someone heavier like Menchov vs. Sastre on climb. Obviously Sastre doesn't need to put out more watts to go faster then Denis..but they adjust Sastre's measured output so that if he did Weigh 78kg this is what he would have put out. Those aren't his actual PW measurements.
It would have been easier to just use W/kg for comparison. I have Kohl/Sastre on Prato Nevoso at 5.8-5.9W/kg without bikes (I assumed 6kg for bikes).

Piotr said:
It would have been easier to just use W/kg for comparison. I have Kohl/Sastre on Prato Nevoso at 5.8-5.9W/kg without bikes (I assumed 6kg for bikes).
Why 6 instead of 6.8?

Bro Deal said:
Why 6 instead of 6.8?
It's just what I assumed their bikes weigh. I think you're hinting that 6.8 kg is the UCI lower limit. I don't race UCI races so I never bothered to check. I'm mostly a fan of my own cycling. :p

Well, with his bike at 7kg Sastre would've done 6W/kg.