Watts?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Neal Anderson, May 23, 2003.

  1. How many watts equal 1 horse power?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
    after about 20 meters.....

    news:[email protected]...

  3. JTN wrote:
    > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
    > after about 20 meters.....

    Literally, in this case ;)

    --
    Perre

  4. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
    > after about 20 meters.....

    A number of horse vs. bicycle rider races have been staged over the years, with the result not
    nearly as clear-cut as you seem to think. For example, I once saw John Howard races a thoroughbred
    around a ~1 mile criterium course in Covington, Kentucky - from a dead-start, Howard won easily
    because of his better cornering ability. Even on a dirt track the horse doesn't always win
    hands-down...I know that Jackie Simes III once participated in such a race, and while I don't recall
    the outcome, I'm sure that if it had been completely lop-sided it never would have been staged.

    Andy Coggan

  5. JTN wrote:

    > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
    > after about 20 meters.....

    They had some American sprinter (runner) on a TV show that I had the misfortune to catch recently.
    He raced a 100m sprint against a giraffe and against a zebra.

    The giraffe lost it halfway through so he won easily. The zebra kicked his butt(not literally), but
    interestingly it only beat the sprinter's PB by
    1/1000th of a second. STF

  6. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Stewart Fleming
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > JTN wrote:
    >
    > > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his
    > > ass after about 20 meters.....
    >
    > They had some American sprinter (runner) on a TV show that I had the misfortune to catch recently.
    > He raced a 100m sprint against a giraffe and against a zebra.
    >
    > The giraffe lost it halfway through so he won easily. The zebra kicked his butt(not literally),
    > but interestingly it only beat the sprinter's PB by
    > 1/1000th of a second.

    Lack of motivation. Let a lion chase the animals and the runner and then see who's fastest.

    We have a saying in scuba diving. If a shark comes after you you don't need to outswim the shark,
    just your buddy.

    -WG

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I remember seeing races against track sprinters against horses and one time against a drag racer.
    The track sprinter won against everyone in
    1/10th mile except some big 7 foot guy who was the world's fastest "walker".

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:230520031721000447%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Stewart Fleming
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > JTN wrote:
    > >
    > > > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the
    horse. it
    > > > would have kicked his ass after about 20 meters.....
    > >
    > > They had some American sprinter (runner) on a TV show that I had
    the
    > > misfortune to catch recently. He raced a 100m sprint against a
    giraffe
    > > and against a zebra.
    > >
    > > The giraffe lost it halfway through so he won easily. The zebra
    kicked his
    > > butt(not literally), but interestingly it only beat the sprinter's
    PB by
    > > 1/1000th of a second.
    >
    > Lack of motivation. Let a lion chase the animals and the runner and then see who's fastest.
    >
    > We have a saying in scuba diving. If a shark comes after you you
    don't
    > need to outswim the shark, just your buddy.
    >
    > -WG

  8. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    > "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his
    > > ass after about 20 meters.....
    >
    > A number of horse vs. bicycle rider races have been staged over the years, with the result not
    > nearly as clear-cut as you seem to think. For example,
    > once saw John Howard races a thoroughbred around a ~1 mile criterium
    course
    > in Covington, Kentucky - from a dead-start, Howard won easily because of
    his
    > better cornering ability. Even on a dirt track the horse doesn't always
    win
    > hands-down...I know that Jackie Simes III once participated in such a
    race,
    > and while I don't recall the outcome, I'm sure that if it had been completely lop-sided it never
    > would have been staged.

    "staged" being the operative word!

    Hawke

    > Andy Coggan

  9. Jim Martin

    Jim Martin Guest

    Pronghorn antelope: VO2 max ~ 300 ml/kg, can run 11km in 10 min. Lets see the pro pelton lead out
    against that!

    "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]et> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his
    > > ass after about 20 meters.....
    >
    > A number of horse vs. bicycle rider races have been staged over the years, with the result not
    > nearly as clear-cut as you seem to think. For example,
    > once saw John Howard races a thoroughbred around a ~1 mile criterium
    course
    > in Covington, Kentucky - from a dead-start, Howard won easily because of
    his
    > better cornering ability. Even on a dirt track the horse doesn't always
    win
    > hands-down...I know that Jackie Simes III once participated in such a
    race,
    > and while I don't recall the outcome, I'm sure that if it had been completely lop-sided it never
    > would have been staged.
    >
    > Andy Coggan

    ---

  10. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Jim Martin wrote:
    > Pronghorn antelope: VO2 max ~ 300 ml/kg, can run 11km in 10 min. Lets see the pro pelton lead out
    > against that!

    "Only" 36 mph for 7 miles. If there's a breakaway 45 seconds ahead with 7 miles to go at the
    end of a flat stage, I think a pro peloton can match the antelope. At least in terms of speed
    if not VO2 max.

    Dem bikes is cool.

  11. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jim Martin wrote:
    > > Pronghorn antelope: VO2 max ~ 300 ml/kg, can run 11km in 10 min. Lets see the pro pelton lead
    > > out against that!
    >
    > "Only" 36 mph for 7 miles. If there's a breakaway 45 seconds ahead with 7 miles to go at the end
    > of a flat stage, I think a pro peloton can match the antelope. At least in terms of speed if not
    > VO2 max.

    But unlike the peloton the antelope can still turn 90 degrees if it's raining.

    -WG

  12. On Sun, 25 May 2003 16:49:31 -0600, Raptor wrote:
    >Jim Martin wrote:
    >> 11km in 10 min.
    >
    >"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles.

    1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.

  13. "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
    > after about 20 meters.....

    Not even. The horse weighs much more. I'll bet Cipo's power to weight ratio is higher (better
    acceleration) - a longer course would guarantee victory the horse, a very short course would favor
    the human.

  14. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    > On Sun, 25 May 2003 16:49:31 -0600, Raptor wrote:
    > >Jim Martin wrote:
    > >> 11km in 10 min.
    > >
    > >"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles.
    >
    > 1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.

    I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?

    I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of the
    sprint stages this Giro...

    In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40 for a minute or so in (very!)
    nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at all sure you're right.

    Peter

  15. On Mon, 26 May 2003 10:32:03 +0100, Peter Allen wrote:
    >in (very!) nice conditions

    That's the crux.

  16. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > >"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles.
    > >
    > > 1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.
    >
    > I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?

    If it's flat and there's no wind, then holding that speed for 11 km is very difficult, even for a
    big bunch. However, a tailwind can make all the difference, as well as a good fast road.

    > I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of
    > the sprint stages this Giro...

    Don't remember that - which stage? If so, it would have only been on a serious descent before
    the finish.

    > In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40 for
    > minute or so in (very!) nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at all sure you're right.

    I've done that too (well, 63 km/h for more than a sprint), but it was with a nice tailwind on a
    flat, smooth section of road. Doesn't really mean much, as the wind is a critical factor in cycling.

    cheers, Jeff

  17. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > >"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles.
    > >
    > > 1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.
    >
    > I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?
    >
    > I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of
    > the sprint stages this Giro...
    >
    > In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40 for
    > minute or so in (very!) nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at all sure you're right.
    >
    > Peter

    40 what, watts or KPH?

    Hawke

  18. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > 1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.
    > >
    > > I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?
    > >
    > > I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of
    > > the sprint stages this Giro...
    > >
    > > In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40
    for
    > > minute or so in (very!) nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at
    all
    > > sure you're right.
    > >
    > > Peter
    >
    > 40 what, watts or KPH?

    Miles per hour. I'm not quite that crap - 40 watts is about 8 miles an hour on the flat, isn't it?

    Yes, this was with a nice tail wind, on a nice smooth road.

    Since someone wanted reference to the Giro thing, stage 5:

    16:41 CEST / 8 km to go The peloton is absolutely flying now, with a possible tailwind combined with
    the increasingly frantic pace before the sprint. Speeds have hit almost 90km/h at certain points.
    Lotto-Domo and FDJeux.com are mixing it at the front, while Cipollini's Domina Vacanze squad is
    preferring to wait until the final charge to get their train going.

    was what I was referring to.

    Peter

  19. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Peter Allen" <[email protected]c.uk> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?
    > > >
    > > > I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one
    > > > of the sprint stages this Giro...
    > > >
    > > > In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40
    > for
    > > > minute or so in (very!) nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at
    > all
    > > > sure you're right.
    > > >
    > > > Peter
    > >
    > > 40 what, watts or KPH?
    > >

    > Miles per hour. I'm not quite that crap - 40 watts is about 8 miles an
    hour
    > on the flat, isn't it?
    >
    > Yes, this was with a nice tail wind, on a nice smooth road.
    >
    > Since someone wanted reference to the Giro thing, stage 5:
    >
    > 16:41 CEST / 8 km to go The peloton is absolutely flying now, with a possible tailwind combined
    with
    > the increasingly frantic pace before the sprint. Speeds have hit almost 90km/h at certain points.
    > Lotto-Domo and FDJeux.com are mixing it at the front, while Cipollini's Domina Vacanze squad is
    > preferring to wait until the final charge to get their train going.
    >
    > was what I was referring to.
    >
    > Peter

    Oh, just pulling your chain a little. <g

  20. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of
    >the sprint stages this Giro...

    Must have been downhill.