Waving

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Mojo Johnson, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Mojo Johnson

Mojo Johnson New Member

I have read on different forums and other online places that roadies typically don't wave to other cyclists. Either because they're snobs or just training too intensely.

I am primarily a roadie. It is true that I can be a bit of a snob and I definitely ride/train hard. However, I must note that I make it a point to wave to every cyclist, jogger, walker etc... that I happen upon. I'm one friendly M****F*****!

Typically the roadies I encounter wave back. Maybe because we acknowledge our own kind. You know who doesn't wave back? Recreational cyclists and newbs w/o helmets, that's who!

Oh, and commuters. I commute regularly and I encounter a lot of salty, angry looking dudes with their bikes loaded up on a dialy basis. Maybe they would rather be at work...:confused:

Anyway, I think waving is cool. It's the right thing to do. Just a nod and tip of the hand to say "Hello there fellow cyclist - Rock On!"

Tags:

2. mccornwall

mccornwall New Member

I don't do a full raise my hand off the bar wave, just a lift of the fingers and a nod. response is about 50/50...

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I even wave at motorists if they wave at me. I am not at all a rodie snob and btw that is Sir Roadie Master of ALL the Known Universe.

4. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

Some wave. Some dont. I do. No big deal.

5. BHOFM

BHOFM Active Member

I see the same people almost every day, some, a few, wave, most don't. A couple
    have stopped and visited. I think most are snobs. If you don't ride a high $$ bike,
    you are just in their way.

Most of the rec and commute bikers seem fine, but the roadies just blast by, pay
    no attention to stop lights, signs, or pedestrians, or which side of the road they
    ride on. They give cyclist in general a bad name.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I'll give a nod of the head or raise a hand when convenient. I don't care if the other person's a pedestrian, an MTBer, or even a Republican. If they wave back, that's groovy. If they don't, I don't care. It's not as if I can read their minds to see if the non-wave is a snub or the result of them thinking of something else. I've got better things to do--like enjoy my ride--than waste time judging someone else based on whether they wave or not.

Roadie's aren't any more likely to be snobs than anyone else. That goes for MTBers, bent riders, commuters with panniers. People are people. They're not defined nor can they be pigeon holed by what they ride.

I have noticed whilst driving in a car, that a lot of other car drivers don't wave back. Also, when I'm on an airliner, I've noticed that other passengers don't wave at me. When, long ago, I did a spinning class, none of the others in the spinning class waived at me whilst we rode the stationary bikes. Likewise, on the bus, none of the other riders wave to me. Hmmm. Maybe they're all snobs.

7. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Yea obviously they don't wave to you, because their airplane that's going the other way is too far for you to even see them wave. They probably are waving but you just can't see it.

Derrrrr.......

Sometimes when I'm in the public bathroom sitting on the throne, I'll stick my hand under the divider to wave. Usually get a fart back in return.

8. alienator

Hey, there was a congressman who got in trouble for doing that in a public bathroom. He justified himself by saying that he just happens to wave with an unusually wide stance.

9. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Yea him and George. That's different kind of waving.

When I'm riding and wave to someone, if they don't wave back I just scream out "Go fck yourself then !! " and instantly feel much better.

10. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

It's good that you do that, it's not healthy to keep emotions all bottled up inside. :D

I will wave, or nod, or sometimes say good morning to others I meet while on my rides. Some respond and some don't.

11. alienator

That's how I wave at the comely Puerto Rican lass across the street.

12. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I always wave unless I'm riding with my daughters on a tandem, in which case I've trained them that the stoker is the de facto team greeter.

If overtaking another rider I'll extend my hand to the side and give a verbal greeting as I go by.... just in case the sight of my back gliding off into the distance makes me look like a snob. :cool:

13. billydonn

billydonn New Member

That sounds about right. I don't see a pattern in the wave/no wave distribution except that people I see all the time may be somewhat more likely to nod or lift a hand.

14. celia123

celia123 New Member

yup, that's true

15. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Yea it's either that or I have to turn aound and push them off the bike, but that ruins my flow.

No seriously, I always wave, nod or raise my fingers, and you can always tell if the person who doesn't wave is just hard into the ride and focused, which is good I do that too, or when they are just strolling along, look at you, and stick their noses up and look away like royalty to a peasant, in which case I just laugh to myself.
    I hope you don't do that early in the morning. That would make 'em jump back over.

16. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Like others have said earlier, mainly a nod with finger movement seems to be the norm around here. I don't care if they wave back or not, there are more important things in life to worry about than that.

17. insane

insane New Member

Oooh.waving...love waving at people, other leisure cyclists, motorists, cops, but not roadies, they never wave back :(

The other time i paced with another leisure cyclist whom i caught up with on the road, i did wish him a good day, even though we never knew each other, and he smiled and waved back...now that's pretty rare where I live...

18. blazingpedals

blazingpedals New Member

Oh, I suppose waving to a complete stranger isn't a bad thing. But expecting a response back is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

19. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Someone I know, I'll wave.
    Someone I don't, maybe a nod, maybe nothing at all. If I get an acknowledgement first, I'll always reciprocate...As mentioned previously, life's too short to be concerned with this stuff...

20. decca234uk

decca234uk New Member

I always give other bikers a nod. if I'm in a remote area I'll wave. If they wave first i'll wave back. just because I'm out on my bike doesn't mean I forget my manners/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif