Wax vs. oil

Stainlesssteelr

Guest
OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down and
try the wax oil that has been recommended.

I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this type
of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after a few hours cycling and the chain gets very noisy.

TIA

--
StainlessSteelRat "I'm in a place where I don't know where I am!" -- Homer Simpson

"StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down
> and try the wax oil that has been recommended.
>
> I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
> type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after
> few hours cycling and the chain gets very noisy.

GT85 is not a lube! Don't use it as such despite the claims on the can! Keep it away from bearings.

I've recently been converted to Finish Line Dry as a chain lube and so far am impressed, both
for road and off-road. Prior to that I used car engine oil which seems to do the job but gets
pretty shitty.

Pete

"StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down
> and try the wax oil that has been recommended.
>
> I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
> type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after
> few hours cycling and the chain gets very noisy.

If you do even the least amount of offroad on your MTB wax lube is a waste of time and will last
about 5 mins. I'd recommend Finish Line Cross Country Lube. I use this on my MTB throughout the year
and on my road bike in winter. I use Finish Line dry lube on my road bike in Spring-Autumn.

Neal

On Mon, 5 May 2003 19:21:33 +0100, "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike

Wax is fine on road, but has limited life offroad - it tends to wash off (taking the grit with it -
one reaosn it doesn't turn to grinding paste like oil does). For serious technical offroad, I
wouldn't know
- probably a decent "dry" oil-based lube - but for on-road use and cycle tracks I use White
Lightning Raceday and it works very well.

Only thing is, it is not much use when freshly applied. You really need to apply it the night before
you use the bike and let it trickle in and "set." Since I ride every day this is not a problem - I
drop a couple of drops on every couple of days as I put the bike away (and that only because the
front idler tends to dry out - on the upright bike I used to lube weekly only).

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
> type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after a few hours cycling and the chain gets
> very noisy.

GT85 is superior to WD40. It works brilliantly as long as you keep spraying it on every half hour.

--
Dave...

StainlessSteelRat wrote:
> OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down
> and try the wax oil that has been recommended.
>
> I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
> type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after a few hours cycling and the chain gets
> very noisy.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up going for Finish Line Cross Country oil, and got it in a
pack with a Finish Line chain cleaner.

--
StainlessSteelRat "Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." -- George Bernard Shaw

>Wax is fine on road, but has limited life offroad - it tends to wash off (taking the grit with it -

Don't do any off-roading, just a lot of riding in the rain, on dirty roads, with a very exposed
chain (lowracer) and I am very happy with Boeshield T9. The wax stays on the chain, but the grit
gets washed off! FinishLine Dry is virtually useless under those conditions. Used Oil of Rohloff
for a while too (the dealer ran out of Boeshield), and it's quite good but rather expensive. Some
people say gearbox oil has the same properties, at a fraction of the cost. BTW, I hardly ever
clean my chain.

Mark van Gorkom.

On Tue, 06 May 2003 16:08:58 GMT, [email protected] (Mark van Gorkom) wrote:

>>Wax is fine on road, but has limited life offroad - it tends to wash off (taking the grit
>>with it -
>
>Don't do any off-roading, just a lot of riding in the rain, on dirty roads, with a very exposed
>chain (lowracer)

I haven't seen Boeshield anywhere, but I'm looking out for some. I guess Sheldon probably stocks it,
but I'd rather buy locally and avoid import duty if I can.

And yes, I ride a lowbike too, as you probably know :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down
> and try the wax oil that has been recommended.
>
> I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
> type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after
> few hours cycling and the chain gets very noisy.

See the chain cleaning thread above. (and use chain saw oil).

John

In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:

> I haven't seen Boeshield anywhere, but I'm looking out for some. I guess Sheldon probably stocks
> it, but I'd rather buy locally and avoid import duty if I can.

Never seen it here, stock up on mine when I'm in the US. Used to be the same with WL so
maybe one day.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

snip
> and I am very happy with Boeshield T9.

I believe its a product made by Boeing USA, does anybody know a UK agent for this? Mike

In news:[email protected], Taywood <[email protected]> typed:
> snip
>> and I am very happy with Boeshield T9.
>
> I believe its a product made by Boeing USA, does anybody know a UK agent for this?

There isn't one AFAIK. Developed by Boeing but made by PMS Products Inc in Michigan
http://boeshield.com

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

On Sat, 10 May 2003 18:16:59 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>...As I suspected, silly prices :-( I'm sure it would be cheaper to replace chain more
>frequently instead.

Not when two of your bikes have three apiece :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>> ...As I suspected, silly prices :-( I'm sure it would be cheaper to replace chain more frequently
>> instead.
>
> Not when two of your bikes have three apiece :)

Yeahbut you need to use three times as much lube.

~PB

On Sun, 11 May 2003 15:56:51 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>> Not when two of your bikes have three apiece :)

>Yeahbut you need to use three times as much lube.

Not so, young Grasshopper. Confucius say: when lubing chain, most lube go on floor ;-)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>> Not when two of your bikes have three apiece :)
>
>> Yeahbut you need to use three times as much lube.
>
> Not so, young Grasshopper. Confucius say: when lubing chain, most lube go on floor ;-)

So you stack the bikes above each other when lubing? :)

--
StainlessSteelRat "Dear Roberta Sparrow. I've reached you in your book but there's so many things I
need to ask you. Sometimes I'm afraid of what you might tell me. Sometimes I'm afraid that you'll