Wax vs. oil

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stainlesssteelr, May 5, 2003.

  1. OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down and
    try the wax oil that has been recommended.

    I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this type
    of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after a few hours cycling and the chain gets very noisy.

    TIA

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "I'm in a place where I don't know where I am!" -- Homer Simpson

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down
    > and try the wax oil that has been recommended.
    >
    > I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
    > type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after
    > few hours cycling and the chain gets very noisy.

    GT85 is not a lube! Don't use it as such despite the claims on the can! Keep it away from bearings.

    I've recently been converted to Finish Line Dry as a chain lube and so far am impressed, both
    for road and off-road. Prior to that I used car engine oil which seems to do the job but gets
    pretty shitty.

    Pete

  3. Neal Milne

    Neal Milne Guest

    "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down
    > and try the wax oil that has been recommended.
    >
    > I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
    > type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after
    > few hours cycling and the chain gets very noisy.

    If you do even the least amount of offroad on your MTB wax lube is a waste of time and will last
    about 5 mins. I'd recommend Finish Line Cross Country Lube. I use this on my MTB throughout the year
    and on my road bike in winter. I use Finish Line dry lube on my road bike in Spring-Autumn.

    Neal

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 5 May 2003 19:21:33 +0100, "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike

    Wax is fine on road, but has limited life offroad - it tends to wash off (taking the grit with it -
    one reaosn it doesn't turn to grinding paste like oil does). For serious technical offroad, I
    wouldn't know
    - probably a decent "dry" oil-based lube - but for on-road use and cycle tracks I use White
    Lightning Raceday and it works very well.

    Only thing is, it is not much use when freshly applied. You really need to apply it the night before
    you use the bike and let it trickle in and "set." Since I ride every day this is not a problem - I
    drop a couple of drops on every couple of days as I put the bike away (and that only because the
    front idler tends to dry out - on the upright bike I used to lube weekly only).

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
    > type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after a few hours cycling and the chain gets
    > very noisy.

    GT85 is superior to WD40. It works brilliantly as long as you keep spraying it on every half hour.

    --
    Dave...

  6. StainlessSteelRat wrote:
    > OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down
    > and try the wax oil that has been recommended.
    >
    > I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
    > type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after a few hours cycling and the chain gets
    > very noisy.

    Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up going for Finish Line Cross Country oil, and got it in a
    pack with a Finish Line chain cleaner.

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." -- George Bernard Shaw

  7. >Wax is fine on road, but has limited life offroad - it tends to wash off (taking the grit with it -

    Don't do any off-roading, just a lot of riding in the rain, on dirty roads, with a very exposed
    chain (lowracer) and I am very happy with Boeshield T9. The wax stays on the chain, but the grit
    gets washed off! FinishLine Dry is virtually useless under those conditions. Used Oil of Rohloff
    for a while too (the dealer ran out of Boeshield), and it's quite good but rather expensive. Some
    people say gearbox oil has the same properties, at a fraction of the cost. BTW, I hardly ever
    clean my chain.

    Mark van Gorkom.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 06 May 2003 16:08:58 GMT, [email protected] (Mark van Gorkom) wrote:

    >>Wax is fine on road, but has limited life offroad - it tends to wash off (taking the grit
    >>with it -
    >
    >Don't do any off-roading, just a lot of riding in the rain, on dirty roads, with a very exposed
    >chain (lowracer)

    I haven't seen Boeshield anywhere, but I'm looking out for some. I guess Sheldon probably stocks it,
    but I'd rather buy locally and avoid import duty if I can.

    And yes, I ride a lowbike too, as you probably know :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, my chain is driving me crackers. It's got really noisy again so I'm tempted to clean it down
    > and try the wax oil that has been recommended.
    >
    > I do a mixture of on and off road on a mountain bike, so would wax oil be recommended for this
    > type of use? I'm finding that GT85 is worn off after
    > few hours cycling and the chain gets very noisy.

    See the chain cleaning thread above. (and use chain saw oil).

    John

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > I haven't seen Boeshield anywhere, but I'm looking out for some. I guess Sheldon probably stocks
    > it, but I'd rather buy locally and avoid import duty if I can.

    Never seen it here, stock up on mine when I'm in the US. Used to be the same with WL so
    maybe one day.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  11. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    snip
    > and I am very happy with Boeshield T9.

    I believe its a product made by Boeing USA, does anybody know a UK agent for this? Mike

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Taywood <[email protected]> typed:
    > snip
    >> and I am very happy with Boeshield T9.
    >
    > I believe its a product made by Boeing USA, does anybody know a UK agent for this?

    There isn't one AFAIK. Developed by Boeing but made by PMS Products Inc in Michigan
    http://boeshield.com

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  13. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  14. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    >> http://www.boeshield.co.uk/

    ...As I suspected, silly prices :-( I'm sure it would be cheaper to replace chain more
    frequently instead.

    ~PB

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    >>> http://www.boeshield.co.uk/
    >
    > ...As I suspected, silly prices :-(

    To be fair, it's cheaper than Finish Line Krytech.

    ~PB

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2003 18:16:59 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >...As I suspected, silly prices :-( I'm sure it would be cheaper to replace chain more
    >frequently instead.

    Not when two of your bikes have three apiece :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  17. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    >> ...As I suspected, silly prices :-( I'm sure it would be cheaper to replace chain more frequently
    >> instead.
    >
    > Not when two of your bikes have three apiece :)

    Yeahbut you need to use three times as much lube.

    ~PB

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 15:56:51 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >> Not when two of your bikes have three apiece :)

    >Yeahbut you need to use three times as much lube.

    Not so, young Grasshopper. Confucius say: when lubing chain, most lube go on floor ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  19. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >>> Not when two of your bikes have three apiece :)
    >
    >> Yeahbut you need to use three times as much lube.
    >
    > Not so, young Grasshopper. Confucius say: when lubing chain, most lube go on floor ;-)

    So you stack the bikes above each other when lubing? :)

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "Dear Roberta Sparrow. I've reached you in your book but there's so many things I
    need to ask you. Sometimes I'm afraid of what you might tell me. Sometimes I'm afraid that you'll