Waxing a Frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ted Bennett, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use. Can
    anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide that
    nice paint?

    Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

    Tags:

  2. Ted Bennett wrote:
    > My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use.
    > Can anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide
    > that nice paint?
    >
    > Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.

    After rinsing the mud off with clean water from a hose without any pressure, I wipe my bike clean
    with.Motorex "Bike Clean". Then I polish with Finish Line "Pro Detailer". Keeps my bike looking
    newer than new and mainly no dirt really sticks on it. That is the reason I can just hose off the
    bike with water and my hands. I also don't have to reapply the polish after every hosing.

    --
    Perre

  3. "Ted Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use.
    > Can anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide
    > that nice paint?
    >
    > Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Bennett Portland OR

    Ted: On my Kirk (new this June) with a 'mile-deep' paint job from Cycle Fantasy, I wash the bike
    when necessary and apply Lemon Pledge when dry. Seems to work fine. When I really want to protect
    the paint I use Mother's Wax. I used Mother's when I used to restore (mechanically and cosmetically)
    old British motorcycles.

    If you haven't already, treat the inside of the frametubes with Framesaver. It's available at
    most LBS. It will really protect the inside of your frame from rust, where rust will be the
    worst. Outside, other than cleaning and waxing, make sure you have greased all the external
    fitment holes (water bottle mounts, rack mounts, etc.) and perodically remove the seat post and
    hang the bike upsice down to drain the inevitable water out of the frame. (this is where
    Framesaver comes into play!)

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:20:12 GMT, Ted Bennett
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use. Can
    >anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide that
    >nice paint?
    >
    >Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.

    Any decent car wax will work. Avoid the ones that characterize themsleves as "cleaner/wax", as these
    usually contain abrasives that you most likely do not want.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  5. On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:20:12 GMT, Ted Bennett
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use. Can
    >anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide that
    >nice paint?

    Any good car wax. You may already have some. <G>

    Barry

  6. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use.
    > Can anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide
    > that nice paint?
    >
    > Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.

    Hi, be sure to check with whoever did the paint work and/or the manufacturer of the paint, to find
    out how long the paint should cure, before waxing. It used to be 60-90 days with automotive
    finishes. I would think that any quality car wax, would be fine, I like Meguiar's products. Life is
    Good! Jeff

  7. I like carnuba based wax, as opposed to the silicone based ones, though I don't know if one protects
    better than the other. I like Meguiar's products.

    news:<[email protected]>...