Waxing a Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Ted Bennett

My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use. Can
anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide that
nice paint?

Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Ted Bennett wrote:
> My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use.
> Can anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide
> that nice paint?
>
> Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.

After rinsing the mud off with clean water from a hose without any pressure, I wipe my bike clean
with.Motorex "Bike Clean". Then I polish with Finish Line "Pro Detailer". Keeps my bike looking
newer than new and mainly no dirt really sticks on it. That is the reason I can just hose off the
bike with water and my hands. I also don't have to reapply the polish after every hosing.

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

"Ted Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use.
> Can anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide
> that nice paint?
>
>
> --
> Ted Bennett Portland OR

Ted: On my Kirk (new this June) with a 'mile-deep' paint job from Cycle Fantasy, I wash the bike
when necessary and apply Lemon Pledge when dry. Seems to work fine. When I really want to protect
the paint I use Mother's Wax. I used Mother's when I used to restore (mechanically and cosmetically)
old British motorcycles.

If you haven't already, treat the inside of the frametubes with Framesaver. It's available at
most LBS. It will really protect the inside of your frame from rust, where rust will be the
worst. Outside, other than cleaning and waxing, make sure you have greased all the external
fitment holes (water bottle mounts, rack mounts, etc.) and perodically remove the seat post and
hang the bike upsice down to drain the inevitable water out of the frame. (this is where
Framesaver comes into play!)

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:20:12 GMT, Ted Bennett
<[email protected]> may have said:

>My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use. Can
>anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide that
>nice paint?
>
>Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.

Any decent car wax will work. Avoid the ones that characterize themsleves as "cleaner/wax", as these
usually contain abrasives that you most likely do not want.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
it's also possible that I'm busy.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:20:12 GMT, Ted Bennett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use. Can
>anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't hide that
>nice paint?

Any good car wax. You may already have some. <G>

Barry

Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> that nice paint?
>

Hi, be sure to check with whoever did the paint work and/or the manufacturer of the paint, to find
out how long the paint should cure, before waxing. It used to be 60-90 days with automotive
finishes. I would think that any quality car wax, would be fine, I like Meguiar's products. Life is
Good! Jeff

I like carnuba based wax, as opposed to the silicone based ones, though I don't know if one protects
better than the other. I like Meguiar's products.

[email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<tedbennett-
> [email protected]>...
> > My newly-painted bike will be subjected to a constant onslaught of water and grit in daily use.
> > Can anyone suggest a good wax or similar coating that is durable and protective, and doesn't
> > hide that nice paint?
> >
> > Anecdotes, opinions and rants welcome, but remember this a technical group.
>
> Hi, be sure to check with whoever did the paint work and/or the manufacturer of the paint, to find
> out how long the paint should cure, before waxing. It used to be 60-90 days with automotive
> finishes. I would think that any quality car wax, would be fine, I like Meguiar's products. Life
> is Good! Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.