WAY OT - Hey, You Cat People!

Damsel in dis Dress

Guest
Sorry to start yet another cat thread.

I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.

Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
like a little log. Okay, a big log.

Thanks for any help!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 23 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>
> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
> me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
> his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
> Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>
> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
> those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
> that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
> like a little log. Okay, a big log.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Carol

Do you own a microphone for your Puter? A brand new business opertunity for
you to consider...

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:22:27 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 23 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>>
>> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
>> me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
>> his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
>> Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>>
>> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
>> those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
>> that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
>> like a little log. Okay, a big log.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>> Carol

>Do you own a microphone for your Puter? A brand new business opertunity for
>you to consider...

Will you be my business manager? I've thought about taping Moose, but
we don't have a working tape recorder just now. Ocean waves, etc.
just make me hyper, but purring really mellows me out.

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>
> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
> me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
> his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
> Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>
> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
> those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
> that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
> like a little log. Okay, a big log.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Carol
> --
> Wash away the gray to respond.

Get a second cat? <g>

kili

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 23 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:22:27 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 23 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
> >>
> >> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help
> >> relax me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?)
> >> It's his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty,
> >> too. Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and
> >> leaves.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines
> >> of those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had
> >> something like that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting.
> >> I'd be sleeping like a little log. Okay, a big log.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help!
> >> Carol

> >Do you own a microphone for your Puter? A brand new business
> >opertunity for you to consider...

> Will you be my business manager? I've thought about taping Moose, but
> we don't have a working tape recorder just now. Ocean waves, etc.
> just make me hyper, but purring really mellows me out.
>
> Carol

I gots the name PURRfect Relaxation...

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:29:32 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I gots the name PURRfect Relaxation...

LOVE IT! Get to work on that trademark, stat!

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:29:31 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>>
>> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
>> me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
>> his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
>> Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>>
>> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
>> those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
>> that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
>> like a little log. Okay, a big log.

>Get a second cat? <g>

Yabut, I need the cat to keep purring as I doze off, ya see?

I think I'm getting tired enough to try this sleep thing again.
Niters!

Carol and Moose
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 23 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:29:32 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I gots the name PURRfect Relaxation...

> LOVE IT! Get to work on that trademark, stat!
>
> Carol

The purring of my cat keeps me awake....that and the damn head butting.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>
> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
> me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
> his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
> Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>
> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
> those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
> that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
> like a little log. Okay, a big log.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Carol
> --
> Wash away the gray to respond.

You can record and then copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and past....
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>
> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
> me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
> his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
> Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>
> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
> those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
> that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
> like a little log. Okay, a big log.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Carol

Got a tape recorder? Record kitty ande play it back.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:20:02 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>
>I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
>me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
>his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
>Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>
>Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
>those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
>that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
>like a little log. Okay, a big log.
>
>Thanks for any help!
>Carol

Record your cat and repeat it several times on the same tape or cd
All you need is a microphone for your computer or a portable casette
recorder.

Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines
> of those nature recordings, but of cats purring?

Here are some links:
<http://www.catpurring.com/index.shtml>
<http://chetday.com/catspurrcd.shtml>
<http://www.effervesciences.com/s_sites/ronron/an_ind.htm>
<http://www.purrfectsymphony.com/news.htm>

ObDrink: Black Cat, from
<http://www.in-the-spirit.co.uk/cocktails/print_cocktail.php?id=34>

Black Cat

Ingredients:
Amount Ingredient
1 Shot Stolichnaya Red Vodka
1 Shot De Kuyper Cherry Brandy
2 Shots Coke
2 Shots Cranberry Juice

Method:
Pour ingredients into highball glass with some cubed ice and stir well.

Garnish:
Cherry

Bubba

[email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:20:02 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
> >
> >I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
> >me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
> >his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
> >Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
> >
> >Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
> >those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
> >that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
> >like a little log. Okay, a big log.
> >
> >Thanks for any help!
> >Carol

> Record your cat and repeat it several times on the same tape or cd
> All you need is a microphone for your computer or a portable casette
> recorder.

Huh... that's like doing a blow-up doll... just stroke that ***** till
it purrs, you'll be snoring in no time. Sheesh.

Sheldon Latex

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>
> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
> me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
> his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
> Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>
> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
> those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
> that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
> like a little log. Okay, a big log.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Carol
> --
> Wash away the gray to respond.

The tape isn't a good substitute. This phenomena exists also with dogs.
It's the repetitive stroking and contact that does it. As I understand it,
your blood pressure as well as that of your pet drops during the session,
you both become relaxed and sleepy.
Janet

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>>
>> I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
>> me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
>> his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
>> Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>>
>> Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
>> those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something
>> like that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be
>> sleeping like a little log. Okay, a big log.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>> Carol
>> --
>> Wash away the gray to respond.

> The tape isn't a good substitute. This phenomena exists also with
> dogs. It's the repetitive stroking and contact that does it. As I
> understand it, your blood pressure as well as that of your pet drops
> during the session, you both become relaxed and sleepy.
> Janet

I've heard this, too, however even when I'm not petting Persia she tends to
purr up a storm. It's a very soothing sound.

Jill

> Janet Bostwick wrote:

snip
>> The tape isn't a good substitute. This phenomena exists also with
>> dogs. It's the repetitive stroking and contact that does it. As I
>> understand it, your blood pressure as well as that of your pet drops
>> during the session, you both become relaxed and sleepy.
>> Janet

> I've heard this, too, however even when I'm not petting Persia she tends
> purr up a storm. It's a very soothing sound.
>
> Jill

It's one of the reasons that there are programs to take dogs into health
care facilities for the aged and very ill children. Chemicals are released
in the brain that induce relaxation.

Good news, Timex the 20 mo feral cat is finally allowing me to pet him
freely. He purrs up a storm, practically falls over as he leans into my
hand and drools while purring. Now if I could only get his 9 mo siblings
and mom to trust me I could get them all bundled off to the vet for a little
surgery.

Timex was named so because the then 6 wo kitten 'died' of starvation outside
my back door. We found the kitten curled up barely breathing and although I
swore I wouldn't interfere with wild animals, I fed the kitten some canned
dog food. After eating a little, the kitten staggered off and collapsed.
There was absolutely no movement and the kitten was totally limp. We had to
go to work and my husband said he would take care of the body when we got
home. When we got home, the body was gone. My husband named the kitten
Timex when he/she next showed up for a meal. The neighbors have named mom
Mrs. Timex and the babies are called Smokey Jo and Patch Cat because the
names are gender free.

Janet

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorry to start yet another cat thread.
>
>I'm a chronic insomniac. One of the very few things that help relax
>me to sleep is petting my cat (didn't know I had one, didja?) It's
>his purrs that relax me, although he's a nice, soft kitty, too.
>Anyway, the minute I stop petting him, he stops purring and leaves.
>
>Does anyone know of the existence of a tape or CD along the lines of
>those nature recordings, but of cats purring? If I had something like
>that, I wouldn't be sitting here at 5 a.m., posting. I'd be sleeping
>like a little log. Okay, a big log.

I haven't tried any of these, but it's worth a try:
http://www.kessels.com/CatSounds/

BTW, it seems to me one of the best sleep-inducing aids is rhythmic
motion as in a cradle, car or especially a train. If I was
mechanically-inclined I'd invent a bed that would duplicate the
experience of the NYC subway on an express run. Rumble, rumble, back
and forth. You can see how well it works by noting so many people who
are nodding off!

Sue(tm)

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> The purring of my cat keeps me awake....that and the damn head butting.
>
> --

Supposedly the head butting is a sign that the cat accepts you as being
one of them and very trustworthy. I've read that somewhere, but can't
say that I've done any scientific research to prove it. :)

Damsel wrote:

> I've thought about taping Moose, but we don't have a working tape recorder
> just now. Ocean waves, etc. just make me hyper, but purring really
> mellows me out.

I've got a sound effects CD which contains cat purring. You could just put
the CD on "Repeat" and play the track over and over again. (Probably
wouldn't want to play the whole CD if you're trying to sleep: It's also got
jets landing, machine-guns firing, and earthquake noises.)

Bob