Way OT: Our kitties (someone requested to see pix)

> On Sun 04 Sep 2005 03:42:52p, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>>Wayne I just "acquired" a new kitty, too, but she's covered in ringworm

> and
>
>>we're currently undergoing treatment. You can find all of my "kids" at
>>http://www.geocities.com/kilikini1 Just click on the kitty pages.
>>
>>kili

Your kitties are adorable and so is your husband. :eek:)

How did the new baby make out at the vet? She has the cutest freckles
on her nose. MS

"Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > On Sun 04 Sep 2005 03:42:52p, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> >>Wayne I just "acquired" a new kitty, too, but she's covered in ringworm

> > and
> >
> >>we're currently undergoing treatment. You can find all of my "kids" at
> >>http://www.geocities.com/kilikini1 Just click on the kitty pages.
> >>
> >>kili

> Your kitties are adorable and so is your husband. :eek:)
>
> How did the new baby make out at the vet? She has the cutest freckles
> on her nose. MS

Thanks, Margaret! She tested negative for AIDS/Leukemia, but she has
ringworm. :~( She's still isolated in the back bedroom while we're
treating her. Oh well. Could be worse, right?

kili

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:42:52 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>

>> Wayne I just "acquired" a new kitty, too, but she's covered in ringworm and
>> we're currently undergoing treatment. You can find all of my "kids" at
>> http://www.geocities.com/kilikini1 Just click on the kitty pages.
>>
>> kili
>>

> Your new baby will get better; she's lucky to have you!
>
> I couldn't help but think that you won't be tripping over her in the
> dark of night with all that white fur. :) Rio was the first one I've
> had with white markings and believe me, it was easy to see him at
> night. http://tinypic.com/ddg777.jpg

I see that Rio got himself a lovely little boy. :eek:) Could you post a
little more about him, please? MS

jmcquown wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>Our kitties...
>>
>>These are our "kids"!
>>
>>http://groups.msn.com/WaynesGang/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2

> How sweet! I only have one (Persia). She's here:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/73563246FrMosF
> and here
> http://community.webshots.com/album/92115860kFpMyo
>
> And I also have a juvenile (but no she won't get any bigger) lovebird named
> Peaches:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/105626707cfjjFb
>
> Jill

Jill, Great pictures!!!! Thank you. Margaret

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 03:02:11a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Our kitties...

> *Text snipped*
>

>> These are our "kids"!
>>
>> http://groups.msn.com/WaynesGang/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2
>>

> Wayne, Thank you, you have a beautiful family. Isn't it difficult to
> take care of five cats? Do they all get along? Do you let them go
> out of the house, or are they inside cats? I hate to think what your
> veterinarian costs are, as well as their food bills. But I know that
> it is all well worth it. Until my husband died, we always had three
> cats in our small NYC apartments. Now I only have Tandoora. MS

Thank you, Margaret! We've only ever had two cats at a time until about 9
months ago when we adopted the twin boy tuxedos. Their mother and sister
had been carried off by a coyote. About 4 months later we rescued Popie,
the third tuxedo, and like an unplanned pregnancy, we were not expecting to
have a fifth cat. Popie had been "on the street" her entire short life,
and we just couldn't let her stay there. I have to admit that it takes
more effort to manage 5 cats than it does 2, but we've adapted our routine.
Five bowls of canned food in the morning, then five again in the evening,
and keeping their dry food dish topped up to match 5 appetites! Because of
our different work schedules, I do all the food and David maintains the
litter boxes. There is, of course, more vacuuming and more scrubbing, and
more general straightening up, as the 5 are more rambunctious, especially
with 3 of them being under a year in age. Luckily they are all very
healthy and go to the vet only for their annual checkups. They've all been
neutered/spayed and have had all their shots. We stagger their visits to
vets, which helps on costs. Millie, our only longhair, goes to the groomer
every 3 months for a trim. We can no longer afford to buy the "super
premium" food as we did for our first two, but they seem to be doing fine
on 9-Lives and a good grade of dry food. Their eyes are bright and their
coats are shiny. They are all indoor cats, allowed outside on the patio
only when we are with them. I have never owned a cat that was allowed to
go out on their own, as I have a mortal fear of losing them. Introducing
each new kitten to the group had its own challenges, but as they became
acquainted, they are all now fast friends. They play together, groom each
other, and sleep together. Millie, being the "dowager queen" sometimes
stays to herself, but she always did. Life is good!

Do you have a picture of Tandoora? I'd love to see her. If you don't have
it on a website, perhaps you could e-mail it to me.

Have a wonderful holiday!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 03:56:49a, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Thanks, Margaret! She tested negative for AIDS/Leukemia, but she has
> ringworm. :~( She's still isolated in the back bedroom while we're
> treating her. Oh well. Could be worse, right?
>
> kili

kili, I meant to tell you before how much I enjoyed seeing ALL of your
pictures. Very nice!

--

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 07:16:09a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Our kitties...
>>
>> These are our "kids"!
>>
>> http://groups.msn.com/WaynesGang/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2

> How sweet! I only have one (Persia). She's here:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/73563246FrMosF
> and here
> http://community.webshots.com/album/92115860kFpMyo
>
> And I also have a juvenile (but no she won't get any bigger) lovebird
> named Peaches:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/105626707cfjjFb
>
> Jill

Persia is beautiful, as is Peaches, though I have to admit that I'm not
overly fond of birds. Each of them have absolutely beautiful color.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

<snipping>

> These are our "kids"!

As they say in RSA, "Ag, sooooo cute, man". Wayne, your kitties are
beee-u-ti-ful.

Here's our two....

http://cathy.co.za/cats.html

Hope you can see them... we just moved some stuff on our servers...

OBFood: "braai" tonight.... ostrich (again) with salad and garlic bread
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz) - who is very glad that summer is almost here!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 07:16:09a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Our kitties...
>>>
>>> These are our "kids"!
>>>
>>> http://groups.msn.com/WaynesGang/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2

>> How sweet! I only have one (Persia). She's here:
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/album/73563246FrMosF
>> and here
>> http://community.webshots.com/album/92115860kFpMyo
>>
>> And I also have a juvenile (but no she won't get any bigger) lovebird
>> named Peaches:
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/album/105626707cfjjFb
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Persia is beautiful, as is Peaches, though I have to admit that I'm
> not overly fond of birds. Each of them have absolutely beautiful
> color.

Thanks! Persia demanded I let her in on a bitterly cold January evening in
2001.

As for birds, see, my oldest brother Paul brought home an escaped parakeet
he found by the creek out back in 1963 when we lived in Virginia. It had a
broken beak. My father, who was absolutely opposed to pets, allowed as
parakeets were okay. That was the only sort of pet I was allowed to have as
a kid, so I'm sort of partial to birds. That, and I feed the wild ones
outside :)

Jill

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 08:47:30a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> <snipping>
>>
>> These are our "kids"!

> As they say in RSA, "Ag, sooooo cute, man". Wayne, your kitties are
> beee-u-ti-ful.
>
> Here's our two....
>
> http://cathy.co.za/cats.html
>

> Hope you can see them... we just moved some stuff on our servers...

I could see "Shoes" but no "Sox". Shoes is a gorgeous Tabby...I love
tabbies and have had several. Mr. Bailey is my only tabby now.

> OBFood: "braai" tonight.... ostrich (again) with salad and garlic bread.

I've never been "brave" enough to try ostrich, although we have ostrich and
emu farms here in AZ. What does it taste like? Is it gamey? Does it have
a poultry taste?

I almost bought an ostrich burger at the state fair last year, but I backed
out. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Sorry about cat pix.... still trying to figure it out... think it's got
something to do with compressing the pix <sigh>....

> I've never been "brave" enough to try ostrich, although we have ostrich and
> emu farms here in AZ. What does it taste like? Is it gamey? Does it have
> a poultry taste?
>
> I almost bought an ostrich burger at the state fair last year, but I backed
> out. :)

Well, lemme put it this way: It DOES NOT TASTE LIKE CHICKEN. :)

Ostrich is quite - surprisingly - more like "red meat" .... it is
slightly gamey, but if you marinate it, it is very tender and goes
really well with a good red wine. If we buy "fillet steaks" we still
marinate overnight in the fridge, and then cook the next day. If we
have "sausage" (like today), we only marinate for a few hours. We use
equal amounts of honey, mustard and minced ginger for the sausage
marinade... yum. For the steaks, a lot of red wine is involved :)
Cheers
cathy(xyz)

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:55:57 -0400, Margaret Suran wrote:

> I see that Rio got himself a lovely little boy. :eek:) Could you post a
> little more about him, please? MS

Which one? The kitty or the kid?

On 5 Sep 2005 17:31:12 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Persia is beautiful, as is Peaches, though I have to admit that I'm not
> overly fond of birds. Each of them have absolutely beautiful color.

My husband's wedding gift to me was a pair of lovebirds. :)

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:55:57 -0400, Margaret Suran wrote:
>

>> I see that Rio got himself a lovely little boy. :eek:) Could you post a
>> little more about him, please? MS

> Which one? The kitty or the kid?

The kid, please. :eek:) Or, did I make a mistake and the little boy's
name is Rio?

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 03:56:49a, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Thanks, Margaret! She tested negative for AIDS/Leukemia, but she has
> > ringworm. :~( She's still isolated in the back bedroom while we're
> > treating her. Oh well. Could be worse, right?
> >
> > kili
> >

> kili, I meant to tell you before how much I enjoyed seeing ALL of your
> pictures. Very nice!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Thanks, Wayne. I need to update, but I'll do that soon. :~)

kili

"cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> Sorry about cat pix.... still trying to figure it out... think it's got
> something to do with compressing the pix <sigh>....
>
> > I've never been "brave" enough to try ostrich, although we have ostrich

and
> > emu farms here in AZ. What does it taste like? Is it gamey? Does it

have
> > a poultry taste?
> >
> > I almost bought an ostrich burger at the state fair last year, but I

backed
> > out. :)

> Well, lemme put it this way: It DOES NOT TASTE LIKE CHICKEN. :)
>
> Ostrich is quite - surprisingly - more like "red meat" .... it is
> slightly gamey, but if you marinate it, it is very tender and goes
> really well with a good red wine. If we buy "fillet steaks" we still
> marinate overnight in the fridge, and then cook the next day. If we
> have "sausage" (like today), we only marinate for a few hours. We use
> equal amounts of honey, mustard and minced ginger for the sausage
> marinade... yum. For the steaks, a lot of red wine is involved :)
> Cheers
> cathy(xyz)

I've always wondered what it tasted like. Thanks for the description!

kili

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Thanks, Wayne. Yeah, we have her on Program® right now and
> as soon as her incision heals from the spaying, we're going
> to start shampoo treatment. The vet practically gave me a
> death sentence on her because of her ringworm! I'm learning
> that it's not all that bad.

WHAT?! for ringworm? is s/he nuts? it's a fungus, like
athlete's foot. yeah, it's ugly & it itches (& secondary
infections could be dangerous) but it's not hard to treat.
i'd be looking for a new vet...

BTW, we just adopted a new kitty too. no pics online yet
though.
lee <of the shifting cat population>

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

"Ken Davey" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:09:18 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>>
>>> The vet practically gave me a death sentence on her
>>> because of her
>>> ringworm!

>> WHAT??? What was he thinking?
>>

> $$$s

nah. owners don't keep spending money on dead pets. however
anyone suggesting euthanasia for ringworm isn't very current
with treatment options & i'd hesitate to take any other advice
from a vet like that.
lee <has a Merck Vet Manual & knows how to read>

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery