Way OT: Our kitties (someone requested to see pix)

Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Our kitties...

> *Text snipped*
>

>> These are our "kids"!
>>
>> http://groups.msn.com/WaynesGang/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2
>>

> Wayne, Thank you, you have a beautiful family. Isn't it
> difficult to take care of five cats? Do they all get
> along? Do you let them go out of the house, or are they
> inside cats? I hate to think what your veterinarian costs
> are, as well as their food bills. But I know that it is
> all well worth it. Until my husband died, we always had
> three cats in our small NYC apartments. Now I only have
> Tandoora.

oh my! 5 is nothing (after having 11 for 20 some years<g>).
the vet bill aspect can be an issue when the whole crew is
elderly at once, but my 7 are more spread out in age now, with
the eldest at 20 (she has feline dementia, but is very healthy
otherwise) & the new kitten around 4 months old.
4 are indoor only cats (Muse,the 20 year old, Faucet, the
deaf cat, Bran & Fog the kitten), one is indoor/outdoor, Gee
<hard G> (we rescued her from someone who was going to
euthanized her for peeing in the house. they let her out &
she's used to it, so...), & the 2 barn cats, Rudh & Fianna,
who only come in in extreme weather or if we have a predator
around.

lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 09:25:36a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> Sorry about cat pix.... still trying to figure it out... think it's got
> something to do with compressing the pix <sigh>....
>
>> I've never been "brave" enough to try ostrich, although we have ostrich
>> and emu farms here in AZ. What does it taste like? Is it gamey? Does
>> it have a poultry taste?
>>
>> I almost bought an ostrich burger at the state fair last year, but I
>> backed out. :)

> Well, lemme put it this way: It DOES NOT TASTE LIKE CHICKEN. :)
>
> Ostrich is quite - surprisingly - more like "red meat" .... it is
> slightly gamey, but if you marinate it, it is very tender and goes
> really well with a good red wine. If we buy "fillet steaks" we still
> marinate overnight in the fridge, and then cook the next day. If we
> have "sausage" (like today), we only marinate for a few hours. We use
> equal amounts of honey, mustard and minced ginger for the sausage
> marinade... yum. For the steaks, a lot of red wine is involved :)
> Cheers
> cathy(xyz)

Thanks, Cathy! I still don't know if I really want to try it. :) I
really don't like any type of game like deer or elk, although I do like
some game fowl like wild turkey and quail. That's a different story. :)
Maybe one of these days I'll work up the courage!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:56:27 -0400, Margaret Suran wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:55:57 -0400, Margaret Suran wrote:
> >
> >> I see that Rio got himself a lovely little boy. :eek:) Could you post a
> >> little more about him, please? MS

> > Which one? The kitty or the kid?

> The kid, please. :eek:) Or, did I make a mistake and the little boy's
> name is Rio?

No and thanks for asking! Dylan is my only grandchild. That picture
was taken last Spring when he was 3 (his birthday is July 3). He and
his father have lived with us full time since mom & dad split up two
years ago. He is language delayed, but since they've lived with us he
has gradually come out of his shell and is slowly blossoming into a
regular kid. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping all will be well by
kindergarten.

I also think he will be a pretty good cook in the future... he is very
interested in the process and both his parents are excellent cooks!
http://tinypic.com/demec9.jpg
http://tinypic.com/demezm.jpg

Everybody's 'babies' are alllll beautiful!!! I don't have any pictures
of my brat, Smitty.

Wayne: My Thumper looked very much like your Mr. Bailey and I miss him
so much.

Killi: Wonderful pictures of yours, too. Oh my, you should have
stopped at the Loveless Motel to eat. The food is spectacular and the
biscuits are to die for!!!! They've been featured on the FoodNetwork
several times. Also, we call the Bat Tower the Bat Tower, too.
Hahahahaaaaaa

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 06:22:43p, itsjoannotjoann wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Everybody's 'babies' are alllll beautiful!!! I don't have any pictures
> of my brat, Smitty.

Well, darn it, take some! Enquiring eyes want to see!

> Wayne: My Thumper looked very much like your Mr. Bailey and I miss him
> so much.

I'm sorry you don't still have Thumper. Loss is so hard. Mr. Bailey came
to us a few months after we lost Margaret. That was almost 4 years ago and
I miss her so much.

> Killi: Wonderful pictures of yours, too. Oh my, you should have
> stopped at the Loveless Motel to eat. The food is spectacular and the
> biscuits are to die for!!!! They've been featured on the FoodNetwork
> several times. Also, we call the Bat Tower the Bat Tower, too.
> Hahahahaaaaaa

I don't know the area, but would probably love to eat there!

--

On 6 Sep 2005 03:39:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Loss is so hard. Mr. Bailey came
> to us a few months after we lost Margaret. That was almost 4 years ago and
> I miss her so much.

Oh, man do I understand! It takes me years to get over the loss of a
pet and when I'm in mourning, I can't begin to entertain the notion of
a "replacement".

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 07:50:47p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 6 Sep 2005 03:39:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Loss is so hard. Mr. Bailey came
>> to us a few months after we lost Margaret. That was almost 4 years
>> ago and I miss her so much.

> Oh, man do I understand! It takes me years to get over the loss of a
> pet and when I'm in mourning, I can't begin to entertain the notion of
> a "replacement".

Margaret was a huge loss to me; I'd had her for 17 years. But we still had
Millie and you could see that she was very lonely. I wasn't ready to adopt
another cat, but Mr. Bailey had other ideas. We were shopping at PetSmart
one Satuday when, as I just turned a corner into another aisle, this cat
jumped into my arms and then just stared at me. He didn't want to let go.
We learned that he had gotten loose from the store's adoption center while
someone was petting him. When he was put back into his cage, he wouldn't
take his eyes off me. He had made the choice and I couldn't let him down.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

"itsjoannotjoann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Everybody's 'babies' are alllll beautiful!!! I don't have any pictures
> of my brat, Smitty.
>
> Wayne: My Thumper looked very much like your Mr. Bailey and I miss him
> so much.
>
> Killi: Wonderful pictures of yours, too. Oh my, you should have
> stopped at the Loveless Motel to eat. The food is spectacular and the
> biscuits are to die for!!!! They've been featured on the FoodNetwork
> several times. Also, we call the Bat Tower the Bat Tower, too.
> Hahahahaaaaaa

We had to go to my hubby's family reunion and food was being served there.
Maybe next year we'll stop in the Motel for some food.

kili

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 07:50:47p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On 6 Sep 2005 03:39:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> Loss is so hard. Mr. Bailey came
> >> to us a few months after we lost Margaret. That was almost 4 years
> >> ago and I miss her so much.

> > Oh, man do I understand! It takes me years to get over the loss of a
> > pet and when I'm in mourning, I can't begin to entertain the notion of
> > a "replacement".

> Margaret was a huge loss to me; I'd had her for 17 years. But we still

had
> Millie and you could see that she was very lonely. I wasn't ready to

adopt
> another cat, but Mr. Bailey had other ideas. We were shopping at PetSmart
> one Satuday when, as I just turned a corner into another aisle, this cat
> jumped into my arms and then just stared at me. He didn't want to let go.
> We learned that he had gotten loose from the store's adoption center while
> someone was petting him. When he was put back into his cage, he wouldn't
> take his eyes off me. He had made the choice and I couldn't let him down.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

That's how it was with little Miss Pua. I already had 2 cats, definitely
didn't need a 3rd, but she kept hanging out. I had to take her in. She was
so pitifully skinny and frail, my heart just broke. Whatcha gonna do? When
it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

kili

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 09:25:36a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>Well, lemme put it this way: It DOES NOT TASTE LIKE CHICKEN. :)
>>
>>Ostrich is quite - surprisingly - more like "red meat" .... it is
>>slightly gamey, but if you marinate it, it is very tender and goes
>>really well with a good red wine. If we buy "fillet steaks" we still
>>marinate overnight in the fridge, and then cook the next day. If we
>>have "sausage" (like today), we only marinate for a few hours. We use
>>equal amounts of honey, mustard and minced ginger for the sausage
>>marinade... yum. For the steaks, a lot of red wine is involved :)
>>Cheers
>>cathy(xyz)
>>

> Thanks, Cathy! I still don't know if I really want to try it. :) I
> really don't like any type of game like deer or elk, although I do like
> some game fowl like wild turkey and quail. That's a different story. :)
> Maybe one of these days I'll work up the courage!

Wayne, I thought you would be more "daring" :) for someone who
appreciates good food, I woulda thought that you might like to try it.
It's not really like other "game" meat. I am not wild about all game
meat either. But I love Kudu (type of buck) biltong. Warthog chops are
the greatest!. Tell ya what... next time we have the "ostrich steaks", I
will take some "before cooked" and "after cooked" pix and stick them on
the website (seems to work now... I left a ">" out of the html
<blushing>. I am at the html for "dummies" stage, in case you haven't
guessed) :) Then perhaps you can see what I mean about it looking like
"red meat". Pity I can't email you some heh heh heh

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

On Tue 06 Sep 2005 04:20:44a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 09:25:36a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>>Well, lemme put it this way: It DOES NOT TASTE LIKE CHICKEN. :)
>>>
>>>Ostrich is quite - surprisingly - more like "red meat" .... it is
>>>slightly gamey, but if you marinate it, it is very tender and goes
>>>really well with a good red wine. If we buy "fillet steaks" we still
>>>marinate overnight in the fridge, and then cook the next day. If we
>>>have "sausage" (like today), we only marinate for a few hours. We use
>>>equal amounts of honey, mustard and minced ginger for the sausage
>>>marinade... yum. For the steaks, a lot of red wine is involved :)
>>>Cheers
>>>cathy(xyz)
>>>

>> Thanks, Cathy! I still don't know if I really want to try it. :) I
>> really don't like any type of game like deer or elk, although I do like
>> some game fowl like wild turkey and quail. That's a different story.
>> :) Maybe one of these days I'll work up the courage!
>>

> Wayne, I thought you would be more "daring" :) for someone who
> appreciates good food, I woulda thought that you might like to try it.
> It's not really like other "game" meat. I am not wild about all game
> meat either. But I love Kudu (type of buck) biltong. Warthog chops are
> the greatest!. Tell ya what... next time we have the "ostrich steaks", I
> will take some "before cooked" and "after cooked" pix and stick them on
> the website (seems to work now... I left a ">" out of the html
> <blushing>. I am at the html for "dummies" stage, in case you haven't
> guessed) :) Then perhaps you can see what I mean about it looking like
> "red meat". Pity I can't email you some heh heh heh

I'd like to see it, and one of these days I might just try it, Cathy.
There are some things I simply won't eat, however. I do not like oysters,
although I have tried them. I just don't like the texture. I will not eat
raw fish, again mostly due to the texture. And I refuse to eat sea
creatures like octopus, sea urchins, squid, and the like. Since moving to
AZ, I have eaten and enjoyed Javelina, a type of Collared Pecory. It makes
for a great BBQ.

HTML is fun! :)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

Luckily they are all very healthy and go to
> the vet only for their annual checkups. They've all been
> neutered/spayed and have had all their shots. We stagger
> their visits to vets, which helps on costs.

have you asked your vet about multi-pet discounts? most vets
here offer a discount for 3 or more pets at one visit, my
vet's discount is 10%. since we have quite the zoo, i can
usually get some combination of cats, dog or turtle/tortoises
to total 3, at least when doing the annual visits.
what amazes me is that my large animal vet comes to me,
checks & gives shots (rabies, worming, annual boosters) to 6
llamas & 2 goats for *less* than my average small animal
office visit... even the dystochia obstetrical call in a
raging snowstorm was only $45! he saved a beautiful cria :)
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 06 Sep 2005 04:20:44a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> Thanks, Cathy! I still don't know if I really want to try it. :) I
> >> really don't like any type of game like deer or elk, although I do like
> >> some game fowl like wild turkey and quail. That's a different story.
> >> :) Maybe one of these days I'll work up the courage!
> >>

> > Wayne, I thought you would be more "daring" :) for someone who
> > appreciates good food, I woulda thought that you might like to try it.
> > It's not really like other "game" meat. I am not wild about all game
> > meat either. But I love Kudu (type of buck) biltong. Warthog chops are
> > the greatest!. Tell ya what... next time we have the "ostrich steaks", I
> > will take some "before cooked" and "after cooked" pix and stick them on
> > the website (seems to work now... I left a ">" out of the html
> > <blushing>. I am at the html for "dummies" stage, in case you haven't
> > guessed) :) Then perhaps you can see what I mean about it looking like
> > "red meat". Pity I can't email you some heh heh heh
> >

> I'd like to see it, and one of these days I might just try it, Cathy.
> There are some things I simply won't eat, however. I do not like oysters,
> although I have tried them. I just don't like the texture. I will not

eat
> raw fish, again mostly due to the texture. And I refuse to eat sea
> creatures like octopus, sea urchins, squid, and the like. Since moving to
> AZ, I have eaten and enjoyed Javelina, a type of Collared Pecory. It

makes
> for a great BBQ.
>
> HTML is fun! :)

You don't eat sea monsters, Wayne? My hubby won't either. I love them!
I'd eat nothing BUT sea monsters if I could afford them. Raw fish? Love
it. Oysters? Try them grilled. Their texture becomes more firm, more like
a clam. We used to grill oysters back on Maui on the halfshell, with
butter, chives, LOTS of garlic and cheddar cheese. They kind of boil in the
butter and their own juices. Totally different flavor than raw. Surprise
yourself sometime.

kili

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I'd like to see it, and one of these days I might just try it, Cathy.
> There are some things I simply won't eat, however. I do not like oysters,
> although I have tried them. I just don't like the texture.

Funny, I like oysters - don't have them that often though.

I will not eat
> raw fish, again mostly due to the texture. And I refuse to eat sea
> creatures like octopus, sea urchins, squid, and the like.

I do eat octopus and squid, never tried sea urchins

Since moving to
> AZ, I have eaten and enjoyed Javelina, a type of Collared Pecory. It makes
> for a great BBQ.

Oi! That little beggar is uggg-er-ley! (I googled <grin>) Our warthogs
are much prettier ;) As long at it tastes ok....

> HTML is fun! :)

Yeah right.... if you say so. Spent many years doing network support
(remember Windoze NT?) but web design etc. has never been my forte. I
usually leave that up to DH, he's the programmer heh heh. But he's got
too busy to mess around with my private stuff lately, so... guess I
better learn quick. And no stuff like FrontPage, Dreamweaver or their
ilk are allowed on our machines.... I have been told (many times) that
it really makes the html cluttered and "fuggerly". :)

Back to food: chicken and veggie stir-fry tonight...

Cheers
cathy(xyz)

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 06 Sep 2005 04:20:44a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Thanks, Cathy! I still don't know if I really want to try it. :)
>>> I really don't like any type of game like deer or elk, although I
>>> do like some game fowl like wild turkey and quail. That's a
>>> different story. :) Maybe one of these days I'll work up the
>>> courage!
>>>

>> Wayne, I thought you would be more "daring" :) for someone who
>> appreciates good food, I woulda thought that you might like to try
>> it. It's not really like other "game" meat. I am not wild about all
>> game meat either. But I love Kudu (type of buck) biltong. Warthog
>> chops are the greatest!. Tell ya what... next time we have the
>> "ostrich steaks", I will take some "before cooked" and "after
>> cooked" pix and stick them on the website (seems to work now... I
>> left a ">" out of the html <blushing>. I am at the html for
>> "dummies" stage, in case you haven't guessed) :) Then perhaps you
>> can see what I mean about it looking like "red meat". Pity I can't
>> email you some heh heh heh
>>

> I'd like to see it, and one of these days I might just try it, Cathy.

I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant in Memphis - heck, I
don't even know if it's still open. They featured emu steaks, elk steaks,
boar, in other words all manner of game. I always wanted to go there.

> There are some things I simply won't eat, however. I do not like
> oysters, although I have tried them. I just don't like the texture.
> I will not eat raw fish, again mostly due to the texture.

I don't like raw oysters but fried are okay. Raw fish, no thanks. I don't
care how fast it was flash frozen, I still remember hearing about these
hookworms that would burrow in your intestine causing excruiating pain.

And I
> refuse to eat sea creatures like octopus, sea urchins, squid, and the
> like.

I love dried squid; it's like beef jerky :) And fried calamari (squid
rings!) Can't say I've ever run into octopus or sea urchins around here.

Jill

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Tue 06 Sep 2005 04:20:44a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant in Memphis - heck, I
> don't even know if it's still open. They featured emu steaks, elk steaks,
> boar, in other words all manner of game. I always wanted to go there.

Shoots, Jill. Next time TFM® and I go to TN, well actually visit you and
let's go to this restaurant. I'm up for it and if TFM® can eat squirrel and
possum, I'm sure he can eat Emu or Elk.

kili

kilikini wrote:

> I've always wondered what it tasted like. Thanks for the description!
>
> kili

No problem! As I said to Wayne, next time we have ostrich, I will take
pix and at least you can "see" it! I am sure there must be plenty
places in the US where you could try it? (I hope so - it is exported).
I think you are in the States?
Cheers
cathy(xyz)

"cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> kilikini wrote:
>

> > I've always wondered what it tasted like. Thanks for the description!
> >
> > kili

> No problem! As I said to Wayne, next time we have ostrich, I will take
> pix and at least you can "see" it! I am sure there must be plenty
> places in the US where you could try it? (I hope so - it is exported).
> I think you are in the States?
> Cheers
> cathy(xyz)

Yep, I'm in the states, but I haven't seen it on any menu.

kili

kilikini wrote:

> Yep, I'm in the states, but I haven't seen it on any menu.
>
> kili

What a pity.... It needs to be marinated (the steaks, mainly) but some
red wine, garlic and other "herbs of choice" make it really tasty. If
there weren't health laws and stuff we could try to send you guys some
;) I wish....

Cheers
cathy(xyz)

"cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> kilikini wrote:
>

> > Yep, I'm in the states, but I haven't seen it on any menu.
> >
> > kili

> What a pity.... It needs to be marinated (the steaks, mainly) but some
> red wine, garlic and other "herbs of choice" make it really tasty. If
> there weren't health laws and stuff we could try to send you guys some
> ;) I wish....
>
> Cheers
> cathy(xyz)

I wish, too! :~)