Way OT: PBS Show 'The 60's Experience'

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    I got email from my friend Scott McKenzie (of the song 'San Francisco' fame)
    yesterday. He recently did a show for PBS which is airing all this month.
    He wrote:

    "I did participate in another PBS fundraiser concert that's being telecast
    this month on most of the local PBS affiliates, called "The 60's
    Experience", which has some great vintage footage, as well as present-day
    performances by John Kay, Eric Burden and Roger McGuinn, among others ...

    Some of the stations have included another song I sang, called "We've Been
    Asking Questions".

    John Phillips wrote this song when his youngest son was old enough to go to
    war, and the whole world knew that war was inevitable. John and I were
    going to record it, but never got around to it in time. March 18 was the
    fourth anniversary of John's death."

    I checked the PBS listings and this show airs tonight (locally) at 8:00 and
    several more times before the end of the month. If you like the music, you
    might want to look up the show times in your area.

    OB Food: He made corned beef & cabbage for St. Patrick's day. His cat
    loved the corned beef but turned up his whiskers at cabbage.

    Jill
    --
    I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

    Tags:

  2. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-03-21, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I checked the PBS listings and this show airs tonight (locally) at 8:00 and
    > several more times before the end of the month.

    Yeah, it ran for the first time last night here in the SFBA. I missed
    it because something better was on. Not to worry. It's on right now
    (again!). They'll be running it every pledge break (what's the
    frequency of those, now? ...every 6 weeks?) for the next two years.
    Plus, we have 3 PBS stations here. Within the next month I'll spend
    more time trying to avoid it than I did actually watching it.

    It's become painfully clear that PBS has discovered the key to milking
    baby boomers for donations, and geezer rock is that key. I just hope
    some of these groups have a little self respect and don't go out on a
    pitiful Perry Como note. I'd much prefer they come up with program of
    old original tv/concert footage than drag out the these admittedly
    great, but now dinosaur artists.

  3. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-03-21, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > pitiful Perry Como note. I'd much prefer they come up with program of
    > old original tv/concert footage than drag out the these admittedly
    > great, but now dinosaur artists.

    OOPS!!....

    Guess I shoulda watched a little of this one first. Lots of original
    performance footage.

    nb ...picking teeth after meal of filet of Vibram(TM)....

    ps: John Kay looking good after all these years

  4. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:55:23 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I got email from my friend Scott McKenzie (of the song 'San Francisco' fame)
    >yesterday. He recently did a show for PBS which is airing all this month.
    >He wrote:
    >
    >"I did participate in another PBS fundraiser concert that's being telecast
    >this month on most of the local PBS affiliates, called "The 60's
    >Experience", which has some great vintage footage, as well as present-day
    >performances by John Kay, Eric Burden and Roger McGuinn, among others ...
    >
    >Some of the stations have included another song I sang, called "We've Been
    >Asking Questions".
    >
    >John Phillips wrote this song when his youngest son was old enough to go to
    >war, and the whole world knew that war was inevitable. John and I were
    >going to record it, but never got around to it in time. March 18 was the
    >fourth anniversary of John's death."

    Here's a little trivia about Scott McKenzie and John Phillips. On
    January 28, 1986 my wife and I had tickets to see the San Francisco
    local morning show, "Good Morning San Francisco" on KGO TV-7. The
    hosts were Fred LaCross and Terry Lowrey. That particular morning,
    Scott McKenzie and John Phillips were guests on the show.

    The show was due to go on live, but as fate would have it, the show
    didn't. My wife and I were sitting in the audience waiting room,
    watching the ABC network feed before the audience was to be seated in
    the live studio to see the show. That morning the Space Shuttle
    Challenger was launched with the school teacher on board. It didn't
    make it to orbit and the show we were in the audience for never made
    it on the air. They went ahead and taped the show and it was shown
    several weeks later. We did get to hear Scott McKenzie sing "San
    Francisco" live, however.

    Rusty
    Sacramento, CA

  5. jmcquown wrote:

    > I got email from my friend Scott McKenzie (of the song 'San Francisco'

    fame)
    > yesterday. He recently did a show for PBS which is airing all this month.

    Wow! Funny thing, Jill....

    The jukebox at our fave corner bar has Scott's song _San Francisco_ (it's
    #7001), it's a fave song that one of my best friends always plays when we
    are there...played it Saturday in fact.

    --
    Best
    Greg

  6. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2005-03-21, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> pitiful Perry Como note. I'd much prefer they come up with program
    >> of old original tv/concert footage than drag out the these admittedly
    >> great, but now dinosaur artists.

    > OOPS!!....
    >
    > Guess I shoulda watched a little of this one first. Lots of original
    > performance footage.
    >
    > nb ...picking teeth after meal of filet of Vibram(TM)....
    >
    > ps: John Kay looking good after all these years

    Yup... some of them look (and perform) pretty well after all these years.
    Of course, the rest of them are dead. Oh well.

    Jill

  7. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-03-21, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yup... some of them look (and perform) pretty well after all these years.
    > Of course, the rest of them are dead. Oh well.

    I still couldn't finish watching the whole thing. Hell, 15 mins of music and 20-25
    mins of sniveling for donations. Screw that crap. I just turned it
    off and put on my old lp's.

  8. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember anything
    they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms, ya know. I
    can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2005-03-21, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Yup... some of them look (and perform) pretty well after all these
    >> years.
    >> Of course, the rest of them are dead. Oh well.

    > I still couldn't finish watching the whole thing. Hell, 15 mins of
    > music and 20-25 mins of sniveling for donations. Screw that crap. I
    > just turned it
    > off and put on my old lp's.

    True enough... I hate the sniveling begging for money thing. But I told
    Scott I'd watch so... (sigh)

    Jill

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember anything
    > they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms, ya know. I
    > can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

    Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's? Well
    that's flattering as hell, thank you! Try the music sometime with a nice
    shitake mushroom soup ;)

    Jill

  11. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >AlleyGator wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember anything
    >> they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms, ya know. I
    >> can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

    >Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's? Well
    >that's flattering as hell, thank you! Try the music sometime with a nice
    >shitake mushroom soup ;)
    >
    >Jill

    Gimme a break, eh? Just because I missed part of it, doesn't mean I
    didn't enjoy it. And, BTW, neither of my kids has 2 heads or anything
    like that. Although, I would highly discourage anyone else - "don't
    try this at home". I am home for the second day, barfing like a
    sea-slug. Which reminided me of the wonderful mushroom experience.
    Oh, and thanks for the "dayum" to add to my list of memorabilia -
    that's a new one - the south WILL rise again? At one point in my life
    I dated a girl from Austin - I think I learned a whole new language
    while we were together. Forgive me, I'm sick. ughh.

  12. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    news:vWR%[email protected]
    > AlleyGator wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember anything
    >> they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms, ya know. I
    >> can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

    > Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's?

    You know the saying ... if you remember the 60s, you weren't there?
    Sounds like gator was there.

    nancy

  13. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >You know the saying ... if you remember the 60s, you weren't there?
    >Sounds like gator was there.

    Unfortunately, Nancy I was truly "there". And, sadly, that's why my
    double major in Chemistry and Psych, with the minor in Biology that
    was supposed to send me to med school was a waste of my parents money
    (which I'm still paying back to my mother, by the way). Private
    schools are a terrible waste of cash - Oh, wait a minute - it was MY
    fault, not theirs. And there was that terrible "Disciplinary board of
    Review" thing - Jeez, you would think no one ever heard dynamite
    before. BTW, did you know that if you're tight with the head lab
    assistant, you can leave cider under your counter for a long time, and
    then sneak into the science bldg after midnight and distill your own
    hooch? Nasty stuff, BTW.

  14. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's? Well
    >that's flattering as hell, thank you! Try the music sometime with a nice
    >shitake mushroom soup ;)
    >
    >Jill

    Another really off-topic side note - humor me, I'm so sick I wish I
    was dead - When I get into my son's truck to move it, I never know
    whether I'm going to be assaulted by some guy screaming "ONLY BIT***S
    TELL LIES" or Led Zep, or Metallica, or Hank Williams SENIOR or "you
    are my sunshine" from the "o brother where art thou" soundtrack. The
    kid truly loves all kinds of music. My daughter is "all country - all
    the time" - where she got it from, I don't know. Course, the only
    thing in her life right now is an imaginary yellow corvette z06
    convertible. Which a nearby neighbor and old friend just bought -
    she's convinced, just to make her mad. And the guy's son is someone
    she sort of "dated" for a while - I headed her off a while back with -
    "Don't get stupid - OK?", so we're on fabulous terms, as you might
    imagine. Myself, I'm more likely these days to be discovered
    listening to Albinoni, Locatelli, Vivaldi or Bach. Ok, Way off topic -
    has anyone actually purchased and RECEIVED the "Australian Pink Floyd"
    Liverpool DVD set? I want it bad, but it's from a British site, and
    they don't take Visa, and haven't answered an inquiry I sent them.
    Not a good sign.

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> AlleyGator wrote:
    >>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Sorry, Jill but if I watched a 60's show, I wouldn't remember
    >>> anything they mentioned. My first foodie experience - mushrooms,
    >>> ya know. I can't believe I' m still alive, myself.

    >> Dayum... I was proposed to by someone who doesn't remember the 60's?
    >> Well that's flattering as hell, thank you! Try the music sometime
    >> with a nice shitake mushroom soup ;)
    >>
    >> Jill

    > Gimme a break, eh? Just because I missed part of it, doesn't mean I
    > didn't enjoy it. And, BTW, neither of my kids has 2 heads or anything
    > like that. Although, I would highly discourage anyone else - "don't
    > try this at home". I am home for the second day, barfing like a
    > sea-slug. Which reminided me of the wonderful mushroom experience.
    > Oh, and thanks for the "dayum" to add to my list of memorabilia -
    > that's a new one - the south WILL rise again?

    (laughing) I may live in the southern U.S. but I'm not *from* here.
    Reminds me of my favourite joke:

    A woman from the southern U.S. and a woman from NYC are sitting in an
    airport. The southern woman says to the NY woman, "So, where are you from?"
    The NY woman sniffs and says, "I am FROM where we don't end a sentence with
    a preposition." The southern woman thinks about it a moment, then says,
    "Okay, where you from, bitch?" :)

    Jill

  16. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A woman from the southern U.S. and a woman from NYC are sitting in an
    >airport. The southern woman says to the NY woman, "So, where are you from?"
    >The NY woman sniffs and says, "I am FROM where we don't end a sentence with
    >a preposition." The southern woman thinks about it a moment, then says,
    >"Okay, where you from, bitch?" :)

    Thanks fer trying to cheer me up.