Way to go "Flying Dutch"

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Deest, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Deest

    Deest New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2005
    Congratulations on winning the "race"

    Great voice for radio too!

    Tags:

  2. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Great head for radio too!

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    really??? never heard myself speak :D

    i think PH hit the nail on the head :rolleyes:

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Aren't I pretty enough? :p

  5. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Missed you at Kew dutchy, would have put some effort in for the TTT.

    As it was I had a great run in to work (literally). Door to door in 60mins.

  6. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    PiledHigher wrote:
    > Deest Wrote:
    >
    >>Congratulations on winning the "race"
    >>
    >>Great voice for radio too!

    > Great head for radio too!

    Ooooooh that's mean. Not the comment, just the fact that you got the
    comment in before I could. ;)

    DaveB

  7. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Sounds like a country song:

    Am I not pretty enough..

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    NO! you nasal slappa

  9. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > PiledHigher Wrote:
    > > Sounds like a country song:
    > >
    > > Am I not pretty enough..

    > NO! you nasal slappa
    >
    > --
    > flyingdutch

    I got subjected to almost 4 hours straight of her nasal version of
    "These Days" and that was my cue to GET OUT OF THE (share) HOUSE.

    Tam

  10. Deest

    Deest New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2005
    Well never having met you (i don't think) I thought I better be polite.

    I liked the answer the girl gave when Jon Faine asked her .."He must be fit. Does he look fit?"

    "No not really" she replies

  11. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Ideal, makes the whole thing more accessable, don't want to think that this is all about skinny racer types.

    No offense to dutchy, who is racing well when upright.

  12. Deest

    Deest New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2005
    Good point. I know I was over 100kg when I started riding. Now I'm under 80kg.

    Sadly, often the people who need to ride the most, do not do so because they feel they're "too fat"

  13. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    Deest wrote:
    > PiledHigher Wrote:
    >
    >>Ideal, makes the whole thing more accessable, don't want to think that
    >>this is all about skinny racer types.
    >>
    >>No offense to dutchy, who is racing well when upright.

    > Good point. I know I was over 100kg when I started riding. Now I'm
    > under 80kg.
    >
    > Sadly, often the people who need to ride the most, do not do so
    > because they feel they're "too fat"

    well, it didn't stop me ;) i can't r*n with a busted ankle, so riding
    was it really and besides its cheaper then the commuting by car and
    paying $13+ per day for parking!!!!!!1!!! its also cheaper then taking
    the bus, more reliable and less standing with stink pretty office types ;)

    cheers,

    Kim

  14. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    He's got a face for radio too! *runs away*

    Jono

  15. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Tam wrote:

    I got subjected to almost 4 hours straight of her nasal version of
    "These Days" and that was my cue to GET OUT OF THE (share) HOUSE.

    I feel for you. I don't think she's nasal as such - her voice just doesn't sound like it matured beyond her 3rd birthday.

    LotteBum

  16. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    I'll catch you at the next set of lights, kiddo! :mad: :D

  17. ABC Listener

    ABC Listener Guest

    "Melbourne's bicycle trails on track"
    Part of a series following 774 ABC Melbourne’s special ‘Traffic Blitz’
    broadcast.
    http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1512778.htm

    (There's an empty discussion board attached)

    Monday, 21 November 2005

    Reporter: Florenz Ronn

    Photo caption: The City of Melbourne has taken the first step by
    installing new bike lanes on William and Latrobe Streets. Although most
    only operate during clearway times, it is an important first step in
    getting facilities for cyclists in the CBD. Bourke and Elizabeth Streets
    have had 'shoulders' installed to provide a channel for cyclists to use
    between the parked cars and the travel lane.

    Photo caption: The West Gate Punt making its way across the river under
    the Westgate Bridge.

    To help get the recent 774 ABC Melbourne’s special ‘Traffic Blitz’
    broadcast on the way, mapping the traffic and public transport problems
    across Melbourne, our Breakfast presenter, Red Symons, fired a starting
    gun and two races between two pairs of people to get to the city, had
    begun.

    Jeremy Lee used his car and Chris Starr rode her bicycle to get to the
    774 studio from Northcote. Chris arrived at the ABC Southbank building
    about eleven minutes before Jeremy. In the meantime, Gaby Hills caught
    the bus from Balwyn, leaving the bus stop at exactly the same time as
    Jason (aka Flying Dutch), who was riding his bike. Once again, the
    cyclist beat the bus commuter to their final destination, this time by
    15 minutes. Both results illustrate what cyclists have known for a long
    time. It is often quicker to commute on a bicycle than using motorised
    road transport during peak hour. (See our story ‘Melbourne's most
    disgruntled commuter’
    http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1509061.htm)

    Although bike paths through Melbourne parkland, along the river and
    creeks and major arterial roads, are relatively safe, inner city riding
    is still fraught with danger, preventing more cyclists using these
    routes.

    Now, Melbourne City Councillor Peter Clarke has proposed to make
    Melbourne a bit more European. The City of Melbourne has taken the first
    step by installing new bike lanes on William and Latrobe Streets.
    Although most only operate during clearway times, it is an important
    first step in getting facilities for cyclists in the CBD. Bourke and
    Elizabeth Streets have had 'shoulders' installed to provide a channel
    for cyclists to use between the parked cars and the travel lane.

    Harry Barber, the general manager of Bicycle Victoria, told Red Symons:
    "One of the exciting things is that the bike lanes have been going in
    and basically all the counts show that the numbers on the bike lanes are
    going up - but in Europe, they don’t just paint a lane, they actually
    put the parked cars between the bike riders and the moving traffic,
    making it much safer for riders."

    And there has been more good news for cyclists, as the West Gate Punt
    trial has now been extended until November 30, 2005, making riding to
    work swifter, cheaper and more scenic for people commuting between
    Melbourne’s inner west and the city. (See our ‘Take a punt to ride’
    story and photos http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1480613.htm)

    Another major bike track connection was recently made with the opening
    of the Bayside Council and Parks ‘Brighton Beach Shared Path’, the
    Brighton Beach section of the Bay Trail now completing an off-road
    shared path stretching from Altona to Beaumaris. The completion of this
    $1.5 million project is something Melbournians have been talking about
    for many years, as it was a "missing link" in the Bay Trail.

    In Melbourne’s east, Shared Use Trails across Maroondah are being
    developed by Maroondah City Council, as part of the Metropolitan Trail
    Network, designed for use by pedestrians, cyclists and people who use
    mobility aids. Discover Maroondah by Bike has a detailed map
    highlighting primarily bike trails and facilities that can be found
    along the way and is available from the Maroondah City Council. A few
    trails are also designated suitable for horse riding such as the Dorset
    Recreation Reserve and Candlebark Walk Reserve. Built by Knox City
    Council, a new bridge over the Dandenong Creek at Bungalook Road East
    has improved access from the Tarralla Creek Trail.

    The community is also invited to comment on the possibility of a multi-
    purpose trail along the O’Shannassy Pipe Track in Croydon. The
    O’Shannassy Pipe Track is the section of reserve carrying the Melbourne
    Water pipeline from Bayswater Road through to Glen Dhu Road in Croydon.
    This feasibility study is the beginning of a long-term project to
    determine community support and level of interest in a shared trail
    along the O’Shannassy Trail.

    To make a comment, participate in our Message Board by adding your
    comment.
    http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Message.aspx?b=10&m=158&ps=20&dm=2