Way to go Wally World!

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> http://www.shokbikes.org/
>

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

FWIW: I didn't see any info about the recall regarding the QR, which is
what most of the claims here seem to base the accident on. I found a
site that says that the forks were recalled:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/next_ultra.html. In the
shokbikes.org accounts I read, however, it sounds like the QRs were
improperly fastened. If that's the case, who's responsible?

/s

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> http://www.shokbikes.org/

Jeebus effing christ. Most LBS bikes have front QR wheels too.

It's a shame that kids sometimes get hurt, but these "adults" are not doing
their kids any favors by deflecting blame. These are going to be the same
people who cause your favorate trails to be shut down in the name of
"safety".

If anything, they should start a campaign to teach kids basic bike
maintenance. Or maybe other "adults".

"JohnH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > http://www.shokbikes.org/

> Jeebus effing christ. Most LBS bikes have front QR wheels too.
>
> It's a shame that kids sometimes get hurt, but these "adults" are not

doing
> their kids any favors by deflecting blame. These are going to be the same
> people who cause your favorate trails to be shut down in the name of
> "safety".
>
> If anything, they should start a campaign to teach kids basic bike
> maintenance. Or maybe other "adults".

But how many of these parents ride bikes and know what a front QR is? It
comes down to the fact that in most of these stories wal-mart does not
supply a manual with the bike nor do they have sales people that give a
safety lesson before they walk out of the store. those are both things that
I've got with every LBS bike purchase. As a seller of bicycles I believe
Wal-Mart has a duty to provide safety information. True, as parents they
should be proactive and seek the information out, but threes no intelligence
exam for new parents.

"slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "JohnH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > > http://www.shokbikes.org/

> > Jeebus effing christ. Most LBS bikes have front QR wheels too.
> >
> > It's a shame that kids sometimes get hurt, but these "adults" are not

> doing
> > their kids any favors by deflecting blame. These are going to be the

same
> > people who cause your favorate trails to be shut down in the name of
> > "safety".
> >
> > If anything, they should start a campaign to teach kids basic bike
> > maintenance. Or maybe other "adults".
> >

> But how many of these parents ride bikes and know what a front QR is? It
> comes down to the fact that in most of these stories wal-mart does not
> supply a manual with the bike nor do they have sales people that give a
> safety lesson before they walk out of the store. those are both things

that
> I've got with every LBS bike purchase. As a seller of bicycles I believe
> Wal-Mart has a duty to provide safety information. True, as parents they
> should be proactive and seek the information out, but threes no

intelligence
> exam for new parents.

damn spell checker.... That's supposed to read "but there's no intelligence
exam for new parents".

"slartibartfast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "JohnH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> > http://www.shokbikes.org/

>> Jeebus effing christ. Most LBS bikes have front QR wheels too.
>>
>> It's a shame that kids sometimes get hurt, but these "adults" are not

> doing
>> their kids any favors by deflecting blame. These are going to be the
>> same
>> people who cause your favorate trails to be shut down in the name of
>> "safety".
>>
>> If anything, they should start a campaign to teach kids basic bike
>> maintenance. Or maybe other "adults".
>>

> But how many of these parents ride bikes and know what a front QR is? It
> comes down to the fact that in most of these stories wal-mart does not
> supply a manual with the bike nor do they have sales people that give a
> safety lesson before they walk out of the store. those are both things
> that
> I've got with every LBS bike purchase. As a seller of bicycles I believe
> Wal-Mart has a duty to provide safety information. True, as parents they
> should be proactive and seek the information out, but threes no
> intelligence
> exam for new parents.

I remember buying a 24" wheeled mountain bike for my 7 year old grandson 5
or 6 years ago. It was a good quality bike from a bike shop and did not
have QR's. I asked why, and the owner told me a child's bike should never
have QR because they will always mess with them. I thought that was sound
advice. Recently a friend bought a small mountain bike and it did have a
front QR, so it must be the thing now, however we put it on very tight and
put a cable tie around the fork through the QR lever.

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> http://www.shokbikes.org/

Having worked at the toy department of Wally World and being a fairly
avid biker, I have to say that they were lucky to have me.
Every bike I sold, I warned parents about fit, helmet use, and I carried
a toolkit so that I could check and tighten bolts and nuts and brakes
and seats if necessary. You see- they don't have bike mechanics, they
have bike builders- and in my experience, it's usually the nephew of the
guy that owns the bike stand, or the compressor, that does the work.
They pay these guys 7 bucks a bike- 7 bucks CANADIAN a bike. With tools-
what tools...IF they the proper tools- that were so worn, they'd damage
the bike in putting it together. Wouldn't clamp them on the bike stand
correctly, and score the crappy paint.
Basically, they pull 'em out of the shipping box, throw the wheels on,
and tighten a few screws. Maybe. I found bikes that had loose bottom
brackets- we had twenty bikes come back for that problem alone...since
they came out of the box with the bottom bracket already installed,
nobody thought to check em. Loose stems, handlebars, pedals put on the
wrong side that would loosen as you pedalled...oh yeah, I saw it
all.Loose chains, unsecured seatposts, broken seats, loose QR-
especially on the front. Defective design in FS bikes, where, if a kid
did what kids do with a FS bike- expect to be able to drop off a wall
over something- the seat postwas too long and wouldn't clear the shock
bolt, and it would shear the shock off if the bike bottomed out.Yeah- it
would take a big hit to make that happen, but hey- kids figure these
bikes can take anything.
Flat tires...tires overfilled, and left in an incredibly hot
storeroom..POPPOPPOP! you'd wheel 'em down to the floor, and the tires
were rolling off the rim...And this was not just one building company-
in the 3 years I was there- we went through 4.
Finally- I would just send people off to the LBS so they could get a
good bike- and a good fit.
Parents that didn't know the first thing about a bike buying way too big
bikes for their kids so they could grow into them...
People buying a $300 bicycle and wouldn't shell out more than 5 bucks
for a crappy lock...
One woman actually physically threatened me, because I told her she
would have to maintain the bike- make sure things were tightened
occasionally, and a bit of oil now and then. She was a nut case- kept
trying to tell me that when we were kids, why you didn't have go do that
kind of thing...yep.Seriously- went off the deep end and screamed at
me...and physically threatened me.
I made sure I told the kids and their parents that they would have to
maintain the bike..but it fell on deaf ears.
Oh- and the returns! The returns... taco-ed wheels, 2 bikes that were
returned, supposedly bought a month before- that were so stiff with
bright orange rust that is was obvious they'd been out all winter-
probably two, and the people had scammed a neighbour's or friends
receipt from new bikes that were just bought.

Ah- the horror! The horror!
<runs off to hide in the closet in a fetal poistion>

Kimba
don't get me started...

JohnH wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>http://www.shokbikes.org/

> Jeebus effing christ. Most LBS bikes have front QR wheels too.
>
> It's a shame that kids sometimes get hurt, but these "adults" are not doing
> their kids any favors by deflecting blame. These are going to be the same
> people who cause your favorate trails to be shut down in the name of
> "safety".
>
> If anything, they should start a campaign to teach kids basic bike
> maintenance. Or maybe other "adults".

Right on John.
Didn't gun manufactures just get some legislation that states they
cannot be sued because their product was used in a crime.
IMHO, this is not unlike the discussion we had a few months back (or was
that MTBR?) regarding working on the neighborhood kid's bikes.

I am no fan of Walmart bikes and I have never bought one for my kids,
but to equate a loose q.r. with a defective bike is simply inaccurate.
Defective means it broke under normal use.

Cheap and stupid (or lazy) is a dangerous combination, if you want to
save money, you'll have to do some of the thinking (speaking to parents
here) for yourself.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

I know of one LBS that basically threw my bike together... later costing me
a broken pelvis. So, while I'm NOT defending Wal-Mart, this is not just a
Wal-Mart thing. The shop where I bought my bike is considered one of the
best in Tennessee!

iamkimba wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>> http://www.shokbikes.org/
>>

> Having worked at the toy department of Wally World and being a fairly
> avid biker, I have to say that they were lucky to have me.
> Every bike I sold, I warned parents about fit, helmet use, and I carried
> a toolkit so that I could check and tighten bolts and nuts and brakes
> and seats if necessary. You see- they don't have bike mechanics, they
> have bike builders- and in my experience, it's usually the nephew of the
> guy that owns the bike stand, or the compressor, that does the work.
> They pay these guys 7 bucks a bike- 7 bucks CANADIAN a bike. With tools-
> what tools...IF they the proper tools- that were so worn, they'd damage
> the bike in putting it together. Wouldn't clamp them on the bike stand
> correctly, and score the crappy paint.

<snipping the worst thing since the Hindenburg>

> Ah- the horror! The horror!
> <runs off to hide in the closet in a fetal poistion>
>

> Kimba
> don't get me started...

You should send your story to that Website. I have watched what goes on
in the Wally World by me and I believe everything you say. I can hear
the loose parts rattling when a parent takes the shiny BSO off the rack
for the kid to try.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

iamkimba wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>> http://www.shokbikes.org/
>>

> Having worked at the toy department of Wally World and being a fairly
> avid biker,

Kimba, is that you?

Penny

Yeah, I won't defend WallyWorld, but like others here I place at least
partial blame on parents. Your kid is riding a mechanical device with
moving parts, at a pretty good speed sometimes. To place all the blame on a
retailer is unrealistic. They should responsible for proper assembly and
normal warranty problems.

Not to get too far OT, but this extreme case of Darwinism has always stuck
with me:

I saw a write up last year on two guys that tried to sue a lawnmower maker.
They decided to set the mower on high speed, lift it up (one on each side)
and run it along their hedge for a quick trim job. When they each lots
parts of their hands, they tried to sue because the explicit warnings on the
lawnmower casing had worn off. The saddest part is that it made it to
court...

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> http://www.shokbikes.org/
>

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

LMFAO! Not 1 of the stories actually pointed to walmart selling a
defective part.

I can re-tell the all the stories in one: Kids wasn't smart enough to
use a QR, went to pop a wheelie, front wheel fell off, kid got hurt.
Sure he'll tell mom he was just riding along, but we all know the QR
let go of the wheel when inverted force was put on it. Now as to the
manual, that could be wal-mart's liability because NEXT does send
manuals with the bikes, WAL-mart probably accepted a return w/ out the
manual and put it back on the shelf. Most of the manuals are zip-tied
to the frame of the bike.

So now I'm coming to realize all these "horror" stories about bad
walmart bikes are just idiots popping wheelies with loose QRs. And I
was SOOOO looking forward to hearing and impalement story. . . . .

x1134x

I sent my previous post to the email address listed on the site, I
couldn't help myself {:-(

x1134x

x1134x wrote:
> LMFAO! Not 1 of the stories actually pointed to walmart selling a
> defective part.
>
> I can re-tell the all the stories in one: Kids wasn't smart enough to
> use a QR, went to pop a wheelie, front wheel fell off, kid got hurt.
> Sure he'll tell mom he was just riding along, but we all know the QR
> let go of the wheel when inverted force was put on it. Now as to the
> manual, that could be wal-mart's liability because NEXT does send
> manuals with the bikes, WAL-mart probably accepted a return w/ out the
> manual and put it back on the shelf. Most of the manuals are zip-tied
> to the frame of the bike.
>
> So now I'm coming to realize all these "horror" stories about bad
> walmart bikes are just idiots popping wheelies with loose QRs. And I
> was SOOOO looking forward to hearing and impalement story. . . . .

Here ya go:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99127.html

Shawn

small change wrote:
> iamkimba wrote:
>
>>Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.shokbikes.org/
>>>

>>Having worked at the toy department of Wally World and being a fairly
>>avid biker,

> Kimba, is that you?
>
> Penny

Yep - tis me.
sitting in the absolute downpour of North Vancouver.

I am!
Kimba
drowned in the deluge

x1134x wrote:
> LMFAO! Not 1 of the stories actually pointed to walmart selling a
> defective part.
>
> I can re-tell the all the stories in one: Kids wasn't smart enough to
> use a QR, went to pop a wheelie, front wheel fell off, kid got hurt.
> Sure he'll tell mom he was just riding along, but we all know the QR
> let go of the wheel when inverted force was put on it. Now as to the
> manual, that could be wal-mart's liability because NEXT does send
> manuals with the bikes, WAL-mart probably accepted a return w/ out the
> manual and put it back on the shelf. Most of the manuals are zip-tied
> to the frame of the bike.
>
> So now I'm coming to realize all these "horror" stories about bad
> walmart bikes are just idiots popping wheelies with loose QRs. And I
> was SOOOO looking forward to hearing and impalement story. . . . .

well- maybe you missed my point-
the bikes were defective in the store I worked at-
one, because of crappy design which caused the seatpost to shear off the
shock bolt...
and because of shoddy manufacturing of the bikes in the store.

These are things that I caught- and fixed. But you have to remember, I
wasn't the only associate in the store, I didn't work 24/7 and anyone
would just wheel out a bike and not do a check- explain common sense
maintenance- or indeed- 80- percent of the bikes had no owners booklet.
Not even how to adjust a shock to a riders weight, let alone how to
maintain it.
Some 60 year old grandma who's only concern is her grandkids and who
hasn't been on a bike in 50 years...selling a bike to some kid who
want's to do drops...uh yeah...
And yes - we had accidents..because a bike collapsed after a kid put it
over a ramp- we sold him that ramp- it was total metal fatigue.
And yeah- because the nuts on the front fork weren't tightened properly
a kid popped a wheelie and the front wheel flew off- and these are not
QR either.Or- they popped a wheelie- and the handlebars and the stem
came out of the tube...because the Ahead wasn't tightened properly. That
happened so often that I lost count- that I would have to tighten the
ahead... It *is* shoddy workmanship, and Wal mart should be responsible
for the condition of the bikes they put on the sales floor.

And yes-
A lot of the problem is that kids aren't wearing helmets - and more
commonly not wearing them properly.
but- I notice those kids in the photos have laregely soft tissue
injuries to their faces, but usually not to their scalps- so I suspect
most of them were wearing helmets.
BTW- My last OTB adventure caused me to not strike my head, and I was
wearing a helmet- but I did have A BLACK EYE AND FACIAL LACERATIONS...SO
YOU CAN'T SAY THAT THOSE INJURIES WERE BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T WEARING A
HELMET.
Walmart DOES sell defective bikes- it's not always the manufacturer- in
our store it was the builders.
People went out on a 30 mile ride...got out 15 miles and had to walk
back- because the pedal sheared off? Cause it wasn't properly tightened?
C'mon???

I am!
Kimba
told ya not to get me started....

iamkimba wrote:
> well- maybe you missed my point-

Dude, I wasn't responding to you, You'll notice responses are INDENTED
further than the post they are respondidng to, and in this usenet group
responders usually always QUOTE the previous post that they are talking
about. I was replying to the very 1st post of this thread.
(Ride-alot's)

> the bikes were defective in the store I worked at-
> one, because of crappy design which caused the seatpost to shear off the
> shock bolt...

Not if its assembled properly, the shock should bottom out long before
the seatpost becomes a factor.

> and because of shoddy manufacturing of the bikes in the store.

I didn't know walmart hired welders to make bikes in house. hmmm.
Perhaps by 'manufacturing' you meant "assembly" .

> These are things that I caught- and fixed. But you have to remember, I
> wasn't the only associate in the store, I didn't work 24/7 and anyone
> would just wheel out a bike and not do a check- explain common sense
> maintenance- or indeed- 80- percent of the bikes had no owners booklet.
> Not even how to adjust a shock to a riders weight, let alone how to
> maintain it.
> Some 60 year old grandma who's only concern is her grandkids and who
> hasn't been on a bike in 50 years...selling a bike to some kid who
> want's to do drops...uh yeah...

So that GRANDMA is responsible, not the parent of the child?

> And yes - we had accidents..because a bike collapsed after a kid put it
> over a ramp- we sold him that ramp- it was total metal fatigue.
> And yeah- because the nuts on the front fork weren't tightened properly
> a kid popped a wheelie and the front wheel flew off- and these are not
> QR either.Or- they popped a wheelie- and the handlebars and the stem
> came out of the tube...because the Ahead wasn't tightened properly. That
> happened so often that I lost count- that I would have to tighten the
> ahead... It *is* shoddy workmanship, and Wal mart should be responsible
> for the condition of the bikes they put on the sales floor.

It is shoddy *assembly*.

> And yes-
> A lot of the problem is that kids aren't wearing helmets - and more
> commonly not wearing them properly.
> but- I notice those kids in the photos have laregely soft tissue
> injuries to their faces, but usually not to their scalps- so I suspect
> most of them were wearing helmets.

There were a couple who had some good 3rd degree roadrash on the
forehead, which would indicate lack of a helmet.

> BTW- My last OTB adventure caused me to not strike my head, and I was
> wearing a helmet- but I did have A BLACK EYE AND FACIAL LACERATIONS...SO
> YOU CAN'T SAY THAT THOSE INJURIES WERE BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T WEARING A
> HELMET.

I didn't, i believe I said: "Looks like some people need to mix in a
HELMET!"
Key in on that word: "some" and ponder it a bit before you put more
words in my post.

> Walmart DOES sell defective bikes- it's not always the manufacturer- in
> our store it was the builders.

Sounds to me like a lot of bike makers had to recall and reinforce
front forks due not to faulty forks but due to the damage done to the
fork after the wheel fell off.

> People went out on a 30 mile ride...got out 15 miles and had to walk
> back- because the pedal sheared off? Cause it wasn't properly tightened?

Look up the word "shear" It either "sheared" (the metal of the spindle
failed,) or the threads came loose. Pedals are designed to
auto-tighten. That's why you have a reverse threaded left, so that as
you pedal the force tends to TIGHTEN the pedal, not loosen it.

Again I fully understand the problem of poor assembly. I re-assembled
my entire bike when I bought it. But I'm still going to blame the
parents for not requiring helmets (in *some* cases) AND for not
inspecting the bike thouroghly. . . I'm sorry I just feel this is
*their* responsibility --whether they bought the bike at wal-mart, OR
at a full-service LBS.

x1134x

x1134x wrote:
> iamkimba wrote:
>
>>well- maybe you missed my point-

> Dude, I wasn't responding to you,
>
> x1134x

Dude, check your gender... She's a chick!
_____
Slack