Way to Warrigal??

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Torgo, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Torgo

    Torgo New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2004
    Want to ride out through to warrigal. Any one rode this way, any suggestions of a good way through?
    Thinking from Pakenham through.. just want to know if there is any cycle friendly roads or a backway???
    Chears

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Torgo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Want to ride out through to warrigal. Any one rode this way, any
    > suggestions of a good way through?

    Where are you starting from? You can ride directly there from Pakenham
    on the wide shoulder/stopping lane of the Princes Highway/Freeway,
    although you get a lot of the usual crap on it (the route is used a lot
    by quarry trucks). But there are plenty of other ways.

    A reasonably quiet and largely flat route is to leave Pakenham via Bald
    Hill Road, then follow the railway line from Nar Nar Goon through to
    Longwarry, cross the line and follow the road to Drouin, then head along
    the main road from Drouin to Warragul.

    If you want a more scenic (and hilly) route, head down to either
    Kooweerup or Bayles, then along the Westernport Road to Drouin. There
    are lots of variations on this theme; approaching Warragul from Grand
    Ridge Road via Lardner and South Drouin is a good workout. And it's all
    beautiful country to ride through, especially at this time of year.

    The worst part is getting from Beaconsfield to Pakenham. The highway has
    no shoulders, and the round-about way involves a fair climb (via Upper
    Beaconsfield). The bike path that follows the Hallam bypass ends in
    Berwick, and you can ride right through Berwick to Beaconsfield (watch
    the High Street Hill).

    --
    Shane Stanley

  3. flynn

    flynn New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2003
    Hi there Shane,

    Usually I go to Drouin or Warragul four or five times during the Summer. Depends how long you want to take, but I usually just go Dandenong Road, then the freeway. It is safe, can be gritty, but I have never had trouble with cars or traffic.

    I exit at Drouin and then climb up to Neerim Junction which is quite hilly.

    Other way is to come out on Maroondah through Lillydale and Yarra Junction and Powellltown, which is hugely hilly and quite demanding.

  4. Torgo

    Torgo New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2004
    Chears guys came in helpfull.
    Nearly had a heartattack climbing up through nerrim south but was great any how.. Family cracked up when i told them that i rode in from melbourne then showed them the computer trip meter just shy of 4 hours time... I'm going to have to investigate more out there when ive got a few days to do my own tour and somwhere to leave my backpack...

  5. flynn

    flynn New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2003
    Well Done Torgo,

    Next time you do it keep going up to Neerim Junction - there is a really steep climb into the town and knock on our door - we have a weekender next to the General Store -little white cottage with green roof. Would be nice to chat with another cyclist who does same route.

    Flynn

  6. Torgo

    Torgo New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2004
    Thanks mate, will do..

  7. On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 04:32:23 +0000, Shane Stanley wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Torgo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Want to ride out through to warrigal. Any one rode this way, any
    >> suggestions of a good way through?

    > Where are you starting from? You can ride directly there from Pakenham
    > on the wide shoulder/stopping lane of the Princes Highway/Freeway,
    > although you get a lot of the usual crap on it (the route is used a lot
    > by quarry trucks). But there are plenty of other ways.
    >
    > A reasonably quiet and largely flat route is to leave Pakenham via Bald
    > Hill Road, then follow the railway line from Nar Nar Goon through to
    > Longwarry, cross the line and follow the road to Drouin, then head along
    > the main road from Drouin to Warragul.
    >
    > If you want a more scenic (and hilly) route, head down to either
    > Kooweerup or Bayles, then along the Westernport Road to Drouin. There
    > are lots of variations on this theme; approaching Warragul from Grand
    > Ridge Road via Lardner and South Drouin is a good workout. And it's all
    > beautiful country to ride through, especially at this time of year.
    >
    > The worst part is getting from Beaconsfield to Pakenham. The highway has
    > no shoulders, and the round-about way involves a fair climb (via Upper
    > Beaconsfield). The bike path that follows the Hallam bypass ends in
    > Berwick, and you can ride right through Berwick to Beaconsfield (watch
    > the High Street Hill).

    I rode from Garfield to Glen Waverley a month or so back. The wide
    shoulder on the Princes Highway from Garfield to just before Pakenham was
    fine. But through Pakenham the road narrowed and I was restricted to the
    white line on the edge. The dirt shoulders were rough too. After Officer
    it was ok and the Berwick bypass is good, apart from having to dodge the
    reamins of truck tires. Unfortunetly I turned off early and had to go
    through the back of Narre Warren which was most unpleasant.

    The Princes Highway between Narre Warren and Dandenong was almost traffic
    free! ( This was a Sunday evening, around 6:00pm ) Most traffic goes on
    the Monash Freeway now so the six lane road was almost empty, felt
    strange.

    Nest time I will try the back raods through Nar Nar Goon.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    John Venables <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But through Pakenham the road narrowed and I was restricted to the
    > white line on the edge. The dirt shoulders were rough too. After Officer
    > it was ok

    If you're not in a hurry next time, head up Toomuc Valley Road from
    Pakenham and into Leppit Road. There's one very nasty hill, but then you
    continue on to Upper Beaconsfield. From there, it's mainly a good long
    downhill to Beaconsfield or Berwick. A much more interesting ride than
    the boring highway.

    --
    Shane Stanley