Ways to stop red light runners ???

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by MikeyOz, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    My suggestion first.... as the lights are red, laser beams across the lanes where traffic should be stopped, that will deter both motorists and cyclists alike.

    of course not the pointing type laser beams, real nice ones, that do damage, still working on what to do with turn(filter) arrows.

    anything else ?

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Cripes, this is rather 'set phasers to frag', isn't it? Wot next, speed cameras fitted with tasers? Hand-held breath-testing devices retro-fitted with cattle prods? :D

  3. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    traffic light sencers (in the road) that pick up bicycles is all the encouragement I need not to run a red light, thanks.

  4. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    Marx SS wrote:
    > traffic light sencers (in the road) that pick up bicycles is all the
    > encouragement I need not to run a red light, thanks.

    make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at reasonable prices ;)

    the reason the roadies don't want to stop at the lights that they'll scratch their carbon soled shoes =P

    ban all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;)

    cheers,

    kim
    ~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn at a roadie hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of flat tyres...
    ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD

  5. dave

    dave Guest

    Kim Hawtin wrote:
    > Marx SS wrote:
    >
    >>traffic light sencers (in the road) that pick up bicycles is all the
    >>encouragement I need not to run a red light, thanks.

    > make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at reasonable prices ;)
    >
    > the reason the roadies don't want to stop at the lights that they'll scratch their carbon soled shoes =P
    >
    > ban all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;)
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > kim
    > ~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn at a roadie hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of flat tyres...
    > ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD

    And mountain bike shoes.. spd aint so good on road shoes. :(

  6. Euan

    Euan Guest

    dave> Kim Hawtin wrote:
    >> Marx SS wrote:
    >>> traffic light sencers (in the road) that pick up bicycles is all
    >>> the encouragement I need not to run a red light, thanks.

    >> make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at
    >> reasonable prices ;) the reason the roadies don't want to stop at
    >> the lights that they'll scratch their carbon soled shoes =P ban
    >> all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;) cheers,
    >> kim ~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn
    >> at a roadie hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of
    >> flat tyres... ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD

    dave> And mountain bike shoes.. spd aint so good on road shoes. :(

    Not for walking, no. Especially on concrete, get that horrible grating
    sound of the cleat hitting the concrete; almost as bad as nails on a
    blackboard.

    MTB shoes are in my future, oh yes.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  7. dave

    dave Guest

    Euan wrote:

    > dave> Kim Hawtin wrote:
    > >> make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at
    > >> reasonable prices ;) the reason the roadies don't want to stop at
    > >> the lights that they'll scratch their carbon soled shoes =P ban
    > >> all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;) cheers,
    > >> kim ~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn
    > >> at a roadie hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of
    > >> flat tyres... ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD

    > dave> And mountain bike shoes.. spd aint so good on road shoes. :(
    >
    > Not for walking, no. Especially on concrete, get that horrible grating
    > sound of the cleat hitting the concrete; almost as bad as nails on a
    > blackboard.

    Ohhh THANKS.. for that image.. Had managed not to notice that. Now
    whenever I hear it....

    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    > MTB shoes are in my future, oh yes.

  8. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    dave wrote:

    > > dave> And mountain bike shoes.. spd aint so good on road shoes. :(
    > >
    > > Not for walking, no. Especially on concrete, get that horrible grating
    > > sound of the cleat hitting the concrete; almost as bad as nails on a
    > > blackboard.

    > Ohhh THANKS.. for that image.. Had managed not to notice that. Now
    > whenever I hear it....
    >
    > Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    >

    > > MTB shoes are in my future, oh yes.

    I love nails down the blackboard, I love the way it makes everyone else
    cringe. I hate these newfangled whiteboard thingies they're bringing
    in....

    Tam

  9. dave

    dave Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > dave wrote:

    >>> dave> And mountain bike shoes.. spd aint so good on road shoes. :(
    >>>
    >>>Not for walking, no. Especially on concrete, get that horrible grating
    >>>sound of the cleat hitting the concrete; almost as bad as nails on a
    >>>blackboard.

    >>Ohhh THANKS.. for that image.. Had managed not to notice that. Now
    >>whenever I hear it....
    >>
    >>Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    >>

    >>>MTB shoes are in my future, oh yes.

    > I love nails down the blackboard, I love the way it makes everyone else
    > cringe. I hate these newfangled whiteboard thingies they're bringing
    > in....
    >
    > Tam

    ANd off my crissy card list U go !!!!!

  10. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Kim Hawtin wrote:

    make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at reasonable prices

    They *are* priced reasonably. Just not in Australia.

    the reason the roadies don't want to stop at the lights that they'll scratch their carbon soled shoes =P

    I rarely see roadies running red lights. The most common offenders, I find, are the commuter types with panniers, yellow vests and bright orange flags hanging off their (shitty) bikes. Mountainbikers tend to be up there as well (hey, it was only Tuesday night I saw two of them riding on the road, then when the light turned red, they jumped on the footpath and rather than 'run the red light', they ran the [red] pedestrian light).

    ban all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;)

    If anyone is that worried about their carbon soled shoes getting worn out, they're either not doing it right, or they've spent more than they can afford.

    ~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn at a roadie hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of flat tyres...

    They're not exactly designed for walking in, but it really isn't that much of a problem to put one foot down when waiting for a light to change.

    ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD

    Do you wear an orange vest by any chance?

    LotteBum

  11. dave

    dave Guest

    LotteBum wrote:
    > Kim Hawtin wrote:
    >
    > make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at reasonable
    > prices
    >
    > They *are* priced reasonably. Just not in Australia.
    >
    > the reason the roadies don't want to stop at the lights that they'll
    > scratch their carbon soled shoes =P
    >
    > I rarely see roadies running red lights. The most common offenders, I
    > find, are the commuter types with panniers, yellow vests and bright
    > orange flags hanging off their (shitty) bikes. Mountainbikers tend to
    > be up there as well (hey, it was only Tuesday night I saw two of them
    > riding on the road, then when the light turned red, they jumped on the
    > footpath and rather than 'run the red light', they ran the [red]
    > pedestrian light).
    >
    > ban all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;)
    >
    > If anyone is that worried about their carbon soled shoes getting worn
    > out, they're either not doing it right, or they've spent more than they
    > can afford.
    >
    > ~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn at a roadie
    > hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of flat tyres...
    >
    > They're not exactly designed for walking in, but it really isn't that
    > much of a problem to put one foot down when waiting for a light to
    > change.
    >
    > ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD
    >
    > Do you wear an orange vest by any chance?
    >
    > LotteBum

    Ohhh thats just nasty.

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    dave wrote:

    > LotteBum wrote:
    > > Kim Hawtin wrote:
    > >
    > > make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at reasonable
    > > prices
    > >
    > > They *are* priced reasonably. Just not in Australia.
    > >
    > > the reason the roadies don't want to stop at the lights that they'll
    > > scratch their carbon soled shoes =P
    > >
    > > I rarely see roadies running red lights. The most common offenders, I
    > > find, are the commuter types with panniers, yellow vests and bright
    > > orange flags hanging off their (shitty) bikes. Mountainbikers tend to
    > > be up there as well (hey, it was only Tuesday night I saw two of them
    > > riding on the road, then when the light turned red, they jumped on the
    > > footpath and rather than 'run the red light', they ran the [red]
    > > pedestrian light).
    > >
    > > ban all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;)
    > >
    > > If anyone is that worried about their carbon soled shoes getting worn
    > > out, they're either not doing it right, or they've spent more than they
    > > can afford.
    > >
    > > ~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn at a roadie
    > > hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of flat tyres...
    > >
    > > They're not exactly designed for walking in, but it really isn't that
    > > much of a problem to put one foot down when waiting for a light to
    > > change.
    > >
    > > ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD
    > >
    > > Do you wear an orange vest by any chance?
    > >
    > > LotteBum
    > >

    > Ohhh thats just nasty.

    Nah, Dave,

    that's just Lotte.

    Tam

  13. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    LotteBum wrote:

    > Kim Hawtin wrote:
    >
    >> make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at reasonable
    >> prices

    > They *are* priced reasonably. Just not in Australia.

    Agreed. And we didn't get a definition of "sensible"

    >> the reason the roadies don't want to stop at the lights that they'll
    >> scratch their carbon soled shoes =P

    > I rarely see roadies running red lights. The most common offenders, I
    > find, are the commuter types with panniers, yellow vests and bright
    > orange flags hanging off their (shitty) bikes. Mountainbikers tend to
    > be up there as well (hey, it was only Tuesday night I saw two of them
    > riding on the road, then when the light turned red, they jumped on the
    > footpath and rather than 'run the red light', they ran the [red]
    > pedestrian light).

    I don't see many roadies running red lights. Also I know a lot of
    roadies who don't have carbon soled shoes. Like me and Abby! Actually
    half the time my shoes don't seem to have a sole on them at all :(

    I have been known to jump the footpath on my roadie - but only when I've
    been cut off in a bad way by some wanker, and then it's really just to
    prove a point, rather than to get anywhere faster. Being a Qlder I have
    the right to ride on the footpath when I'm pissed off at a wanker
    driver.

    Abby and I had a really funny one this morning, or a couple. First we
    had the Vic 74 toyota driver who cut me off really close so he could
    change lanes anyway and then stop at a red light. That was really
    creative. Then we had to duck out of the bike lane on Oxley Rd to get
    past a runner, and this guy in a ute was very angry about us holding him
    up for 0.3s as we passed, but didn't seem to mind the red light up
    ahead. He called me a wanker, which I found very funny. Yeah I chased
    him and made offensive signs back at him.

    >> ban all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;)

    > If anyone is that worried about their carbon soled shoes getting worn
    > out, they're either not doing it right, or they've spent more than they
    > can afford.

    Yeah, I think TimC has found a good way of not damaging the bottoms of
    his shoes... (Sorry dude)

    >> ~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn at a roadie
    >> hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of flat tyres...

    > They're not exactly designed for walking in, but it really isn't that
    > much of a problem to put one foot down when waiting for a light to
    > change.

    Nah, I gotta say I'd be laughing at that too... (1) fix your flats and
    (2) take your shoes off if you're going for a walk, dude, they ain't
    designed for that!

    >> ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD

    > Do you wear an orange vest by any chance?
    >
    > LotteBum

    Lotte you're such a bitch! I went SPD too... okay that's on my mtb and
    they suck offroad (I washed them out so hopefully they move a bit better
    this weekend, speaking of which when are the bitches hitting the
    trails?)

    Tam

  14. dave

    dave Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    >
    >>LotteBum wrote:
    >>
    >>>Kim Hawtin wrote:
    >>>
    >>>make sensible clipless pedals and shoes compulsory and at reasonable
    >>>prices
    >>>
    >>>They *are* priced reasonably. Just not in Australia.
    >>>
    >>>the reason the roadies don't want to stop at the lights that they'll
    >>>scratch their carbon soled shoes =P
    >>>
    >>>I rarely see roadies running red lights. The most common offenders, I
    >>>find, are the commuter types with panniers, yellow vests and bright
    >>>orange flags hanging off their (shitty) bikes. Mountainbikers tend to
    >>>be up there as well (hey, it was only Tuesday night I saw two of them
    >>>riding on the road, then when the light turned red, they jumped on the
    >>>footpath and rather than 'run the red light', they ran the [red]
    >>>pedestrian light).
    >>>
    >>>ban all these silly shoes and you've solved the problem ;)
    >>>
    >>>If anyone is that worried about their carbon soled shoes getting worn
    >>>out, they're either not doing it right, or they've spent more than they
    >>>can afford.
    >>>
    >>>~ ok, so its a silly solution but i had a chuckle this morn at a roadie
    >>>hobbling along on carbon road shoes with a pair of flat tyres...
    >>>
    >>>They're not exactly designed for walking in, but it really isn't that
    >>>much of a problem to put one foot down when waiting for a light to
    >>>change.
    >>>
    >>>~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD
    >>>
    >>>Do you wear an orange vest by any chance?
    >>>
    >>>LotteBum
    >>>

    >>Ohhh thats just nasty.

    > Nah, Dave,
    >
    > that's just Lotte.
    >
    > Tam

    :)

    Orange motorcycle to work today.

    !) its raining, more rubber better
    2) new drivetrain on pushy is clean
    3) I need to take more stuff than usual in.. eg suit.
    4) I ´may have to ride to Port Fairy in the morning.. (Funeral) And I
    just aint up for that on the pushy this week.

    Yesterday a guy pulled across my nose in chapel st and stopped with his
    nose in the side street. I politely knocked on his window and he said
    ´I cant just run over the pedestrians mate´ WTF/

  15. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    dave wrote:
    <snip>
    > Orange motorcycle to work today.
    >
    > !) its raining, more rubber better
    > 2) new drivetrain on pushy is clean
    > 3) I need to take more stuff than usual in.. eg suit.
    > 4) I ´may have to ride to Port Fairy in the morning.. (Funeral) And I
    > just aint up for that on the pushy this week.
    >
    > Yesterday a guy pulled across my nose in chapel st and stopped with his
    > nose in the side street. I politely knocked on his window and he said
    > ´I cant just run over the pedestrians mate´ WTF/

    Last night I pulled up to lights where the lane is really wide. Chick
    driver is slight left, but no indicators, and it's a T-section, so I
    KNOW (hope) she is not going straight ahead. I rolled up to her window,
    and knocked. She was startled, because she was looking down at her
    phone. I smiled and waved, and then gestured that I wanted to know which
    way she was turning. She pointed left. Good - I didn't need to move. She
    was clearly very embarrassed at being busted doing the wrong thing, and
    by such a polite cyclist.

    Tam

  16. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Check

    Orange and yellow. Sorta check.

    You're kidding right?

    Hmmm. Two year old well maintained Trek 1200. Guess I flunk that one too.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan (commuter type who never runs reds, but I know where you're coming from :) )

  17. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Euan wrote:

    Euan (commuter type who never runs reds, but I know where you're coming from :) )

    You're a naughty bastard!

    LotteBum *polishing shotty*

  18. Kim

    Kim Guest

    LotteBum wrote:
    > Kim wrote:

    > ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD
    >
    > Do you wear an orange vest by any chance?

    hell no.

    black. head to toe for me.

    kim

  19. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    EuanB wrote:

    > LotteBum Wrote:
    > >
    > > I rarely see roadies running red lights. The most common offenders, I
    > > find, are the commuter types with panniers,
    > >

    > Check
    >
    > LotteBum Wrote:
    > >
    > > yellow vests
    > >

    > Orange and yellow. Sorta check.
    >
    > LotteBum Wrote:
    > >
    > > and bright orange flags
    > >

    > You're kidding right?
    >
    > LotteBum Wrote:
    > >
    > > hanging off their (shitty) bikes.
    > >

    > Hmmm. Two year old well maintained Trek 1200. Guess I flunk that one
    > too.
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Euan (commuter type who never runs reds, but I know where you're coming
    > from :) )
    >
    > --
    > EuanB

    Euan, we've been through this before...

    .... you're a COMMUTER not a COMMUTER TYPE

    Tam

  20. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Kim wrote:

    > LotteBum wrote:
    > > Kim wrote:

    > > ~ may sound silly but thats why i went SPD
    > >
    > > Do you wear an orange vest by any chance?

    > hell no.
    >
    > black. head to toe for me.
    >
    > kim

    If they can't see you they can't aim at you?

    on the bicycling life website, someone posted a link the other day
    (http://www.bicyclinglife.com I think) there's a cycling survey. I did
    it, and as I answered the questions I thought, crap, I've been really
    lucky so far, there's a lot of nasty incident and accident outcomes
    there...

    Kim, do you have a flag on your bike? If so, can I have it?
    Tam