WAYYY OT - boxers do indeed rule!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by AlleyGator, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    I'm sure I told you all that back near the first of November, we
    rescued a freezing, starving Boxer dog. Good grief, what a stroke of
    fortune. I have had many dogs in my life and currently have 3 other
    great dogs, but this "gentleman" is more than I ever hoped for. I
    have a potentially fatal affliction (don't mourn, just get over it - I
    have) At this moment, as I type, he is trying to get me to "play" -
    which, OMG is an invitation for stiches. OK, I have to go deal with
    the mutt - just rest assured that if you are looking fer yer first dog
    - a Boxer is the way to go. Loyal beyond belief. If I'm sick in bed,
    He's at my feet and anyone who enters the room gets a facefull of
    teeth and growl until he figures that theyre really supposed to be
    there. Dang, get a dog - that's all I can say.

    Tags:

  2. Ruddell

    Ruddell Guest

    In <[email protected]> AlleyGator wrote:
    > I'm sure I told you all that back near the first of November, we
    > rescued a freezing, starving Boxer dog. Good grief, what a stroke of
    > fortune. I have had many dogs in my life and currently have 3 other
    > great dogs, but this "gentleman" is more than I ever hoped for. I
    > have a potentially fatal affliction (don't mourn, just get over it - I
    > have) At this moment, as I type, he is trying to get me to "play" -
    > which, OMG is an invitation for stiches. OK, I have to go deal with
    > the mutt - just rest assured that if you are looking fer yer first dog
    > - a Boxer is the way to go. Loyal beyond belief. If I'm sick in bed,
    > He's at my feet and anyone who enters the room gets a facefull of
    > teeth and growl until he figures that theyre really supposed to be
    > there. Dang, get a dog - that's all I can say.

    Agree 100%

    We have two dogs (black lab/ozzie shepherd) and both are wonderful
    friends. A dogs loyalty is never questioned and you're never alone if
    you've got a dog...

    http://www.ratbagandmooch.net/dogs/

    --
    Cheers

    Dennis

    Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm sure I told you all that back near the first of November, we
    > rescued a freezing, starving Boxer dog. Good grief, what a stroke of
    > fortune. I have had many dogs in my life and currently have 3 other
    > great dogs, but this "gentleman" is more than I ever hoped for. I
    > have a potentially fatal affliction (don't mourn, just get over it - I
    > have)

    Good luck with that, okay?

    > At this moment, as I type, he is trying to get me to "play" -
    > which, OMG is an invitation for stiches. OK, I have to go deal with
    > the mutt - just rest assured that if you are looking fer yer first dog
    > - a Boxer is the way to go. Loyal beyond belief. If I'm sick in bed,
    > He's at my feet and anyone who enters the room gets a facefull of
    > teeth and growl until he figures that theyre really supposed to be
    > there. Dang, get a dog - that's all I can say.

    I know I already said this, my neighbor's kid brought one home, well
    if this isn't the friggin sweetest dog you ever met (okay, unless you had
    met mine, Rascal the wire haired fox terrier) ... oh, what a doll face.
    If I dare to get another dog some day, I'll SERIOUSLY consider a
    boxer, even though they are bigger than I like. Nice nice dogs.

    nancy

  4. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I know I already said this, my neighbor's kid brought one home, well
    >if this isn't the friggin sweetest dog you ever met (okay, unless you had
    >met mine, Rascal the wire haired fox terrier) ... oh, what a doll face.
    >If I dare to get another dog some day, I'll SERIOUSLY consider a
    >boxer, even though they are bigger than I like. Nice nice dogs.
    >
    >nancy

    Nancy, for 14 years of my childhood, I lived with a toy fox terrier
    dog. Man, what a friend he was. And I promise you, dear - Boxers are
    a little intimidating at first - I called him the "hound from hell"
    the first few days after my son brought him in. But, bless his heart,
    he was just scared, lost and all alone. I'm sure he has no doubt that
    I love him a lot - call me a sucker, but I'd shoot you dead if you
    hurt one of my dogs. He started life here in a cage. He now has full
    run of the house 24/7. And if he feels like it, he either sleeps with
    us or my son. Nobody cares, because EVERYBODY loves him. Dang good
    dog.

  5. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > I know I already said this, my neighbor's kid brought one home, well
    > if this isn't the friggin sweetest dog you ever met (okay, unless you had
    > met mine, Rascal the wire haired fox terrier) ... oh, what a doll face.
    > If I dare to get another dog some day, I'll SERIOUSLY consider a
    > boxer, even though they are bigger than I like. Nice nice dogs.

    I had Labs most of my life and always liked their friendly playful nature.
    The first dog I got after I was married was a Bouvier des Flandres, a gentle
    loving dog that was very protective of my wife and our young baby. She was a
    bright and obedient dog, but that long hair was a challenge. We went back to
    Labs. When the last Lab was hit by a car we picked up a mutt at the pound,
    the most interesting looking mutt I ever say. He is half Shepherd and half
    Bouvier. It's a pity that he never inherited the traits commonly associated
    with those breeds, like loyalty, intelligence and obedience. The poor guy
    came from an abusive background and it has taken 4 years to to overcome some
    of his trust issues, but he has become quite affectionate, not that he wasn't
    always friendly.

    A few years ago we were contacted by a friend who was helping a friend who
    was looking for a home for a neighbour's dog. The owner was a young guy who
    had a business that he ran out of his house. He had a 2 year old and a new
    born and a wife that was depressed enough to have to be hospitalized. The
    dog was messing up because of neglect and need for attention. They brought
    him down to see if we qualified as foster parents for this dog. He is a
    Groenendahl (Belgium Sheep Dog). We fell in love with this guy, and he with
    us. He got along great with the current mutt and with the neighbour's three
    dogs, all of whom run free around here, but he quickly established himself as
    the Alpha male. This dog is so bright that he scares me. He seems to know
    what I am doing and where I am going before I know. He was well trained when
    we got him. He slips up once in a while but a quick refresher to course and
    he is right back to form. We have the hair issue with him too, but I it's
    worth the time and effort to do regular grooming because he is so reliable.

  6. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
    Oh, and BTW Nancy. Even though this guy is the biggest baby you ever
    met, when the chips are down, he will literally defend you to the
    point of death. We have a guy who we have had ongoing problems with.
    He, unfortunately for him, showed up again not long after said dog
    became my best friend. I have a bucket with some shreds of blue
    jeans, some dried blood, and what appears to be some pieces of flesh
    for your enjoyment. At the time, I went outside with the dog and a
    Glock 17 (good companions IMHO) loaded with (ahh, never mind) - and
    after a couple of tries with the usual civil "can I help you?" it
    deteriorated into something I really didn't enjoy at all. I finally
    said "allright, dick - take your pick a bullet or the dog?". Well,
    despite my best intentions, the dog got away from me, and the rest is
    history. If you want details, we need to hook up by email, because
    the jerk is apparently suing me. I have no doubt at all, I will win.
    But the jerk is gonna do some serious cash in my direction, SHMG.
    BTW, if you intend to do me harm and you're less than 10 yards from me
    - you better say some prayers quick. Cause I'll put 3 rounds in your
    chest and 2 through your eye before you can take a breath. Like the
    duke sayd, not braggin, just fact, ma'am. Sorry Nancy, I'm not trying
    to act like some bigshot. I'm just telling you that a lot of us
    "nobodies" out there shoot every weekend and can take care of
    oursleves, thank you very much. I have a 16-year old daughter. And
    if for NO other reason, I keep my skills honed. Because if you hurt
    my girl, I'm going to prison, and I don't care.

  7. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > I'm sure I told you all that back near the first of November, we
    > rescued a freezing, starving Boxer dog. Good grief, what a stroke of
    > fortune. I have had many dogs in my life and currently have 3 other
    > great dogs, but this "gentleman" is more than I ever hoped for. I
    > have a potentially fatal affliction (don't mourn, just get over it - I
    > have) At this moment, as I type, he is trying to get me to "play" -
    > which, OMG is an invitation for stiches. OK, I have to go deal with
    > the mutt - just rest assured that if you are looking fer yer first dog
    > - a Boxer is the way to go. Loyal beyond belief. If I'm sick in bed,
    > He's at my feet and anyone who enters the room gets a facefull of
    > teeth and growl until he figures that theyre really supposed to be
    > there. Dang, get a dog - that's all I can say.

    We always had "stupid" but "loving" doggies while growing up (little
    mix-breeds of cockapoos & such. They would never hurt a soul.

    I miss having a doggie, but right now life is too busy. Maybe when the
    boy-child gets old enough to help, we will get him his own "first
    doggie". Has to be a lap-dog though. :)

  8. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I had Labs most of my life and always liked their friendly playful nature.
    >The first dog I got after I was married was a Bouvier des Flandres, a gentle
    >loving dog that was very protective of my wife and our young baby. She was a
    >bright and obedient dog, but that long hair was a challenge. We went back to
    >Labs. When the last Lab was hit by a car we picked up a mutt at the pound,
    >the most interesting looking mutt I ever say. He is half Shepherd and half
    >Bouvier. It's a pity that he never inherited the traits commonly associated
    >with those breeds, like loyalty, intelligence and obedience. The poor guy
    >came from an abusive background and it has taken 4 years to to overcome some
    >of his trust issues, but he has become quite affectionate, not that he wasn't
    >always friendly.

    Wow, Dave. I have NEVER heard of a Bouvier des Flandres. Dang, I'll
    tell you what - I'm gonna look it up and God help me I'm such a dog
    sucker I'll probably find and buy one. Jeez, I love dogs - all of
    them ugly or proud - I love 'em all.

  9. [email protected] (AlleyGator) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'm sure I told you all that back near the first of November, we
    > rescued a freezing, starving Boxer dog. Good grief, what a stroke of
    > fortune. I have had many dogs in my life and currently have 3 other
    > great dogs, but this "gentleman" is more than I ever hoped for. I
    > have a potentially fatal affliction (don't mourn, just get over it - I
    > have) At this moment, as I type, he is trying to get me to "play" -
    > which, OMG is an invitation for stiches. OK, I have to go deal with
    > the mutt - just rest assured that if you are looking fer yer first dog
    > - a Boxer is the way to go. Loyal beyond belief. If I'm sick in bed,
    > He's at my feet and anyone who enters the room gets a facefull of
    > teeth and growl until he figures that theyre really supposed to be
    > there. Dang, get a dog - that's all I can say.

    My Black Lab killed one boxer outright and maimed another so bad it was
    put down. This happened when I was 12 and the owner sicced the 2 on me.
    So you can see why I prefer labs...Quebec Retrievers to be more exacting.

    Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  10. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We always had "stupid" but "loving" doggies while growing up (little
    >mix-breeds of cockapoos & such. They would never hurt a soul.
    >
    >I miss having a doggie, but right now life is too busy. Maybe when the
    >boy-child gets old enough to help, we will get him his own "first
    >doggie". Has to be a lap-dog though. :)

    Denise, Lord what can I say? Even a "stupid" dog is a blessing. Do
    you have (apparently) small children?. Dang, get a dog. Your kids
    will hug you and say "thanks mom" someday. I swear to God, you won't
    regret it. My son is almost 20 and still pines fer the Lab that used
    to knock him on his butt with the tail. Dogs are a gift from God - I
    am convinced. I am CERTAIN that dogs are a special breed of animal
    with no other likeness in the universe - bar none. If you can change
    my mind about this, go for it - I'm pretty sure I can kick your butt.

  11. "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The first dog I got after I was married was a Bouvier des Flandres,

    Now that's one solid-bodied, big dog. But what lovers.
    Janet

  12. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet <[email protected]> wrote:
    >My Black Lab killed one boxer outright and maimed another so bad it was
    >put down. This happened when I was 12 and the owner sicced the 2 on me.
    >So you can see why I prefer labs...Quebec Retrievers to be more exacting.
    >
    >--
    >No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
    >Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
    >Continuing to be Manitoban

    Oh, dang, man. I guess that was pretty gruesome. Yeah, I have had 2
    black labs and one of my current dogs is a black lab/golden
    retreiver/chow mix. Heck of a nice dog. But if he wanted to kill
    you, I a'int standing in his way. Dang, what a strong dog.

  13. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Ruddell <ruddell'Elle-Kabong'@canada.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > A dogs loyalty is never questioned and you're never alone if
    > you've got a dog...

    Plus, they make great "before the doorbell" doorbells.

    Annabelle
    Jack Russell "Terror"
    1983 - 1994
    R.I.P.

    --
    "If you can't do it naturally, then fake it."
    - Alfred Hitchcock

  14. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > Yeah, I have had 2 black labs and one of my current dogs is a black
    > lab/golden retreiver/chow mix. Heck of a nice dog. But if he wanted
    > to kill you, I a'int standing in his way. Dang, what a strong dog.

    Are you sure he's part chow? Labradors often have black on their
    tongues even if purebreds.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  15. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    > My Black Lab killed one boxer outright and maimed another so bad it was
    > put down. This happened when I was 12 and the owner sicced the 2 on me.
    > So you can see why I prefer labs...Quebec Retrievers to be more exacting.

    I keep hearing a story from my mother about how she used to put me in a pram
    in the front yard and leave our family Lab "Duke" to keep me company. One day
    a Boxer came too close to me and old Duke took off after him and tore him up
    pretty badly. At least that is the story I keep hearing.

    A surprisingly sweet tempered dog is the English Bulldog. They have a
    fierce sort of appearance but I know a few people who have had them and loved
    them. They have a very loving disposition despite that pushed in face.

  16. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Oh, and BTW Nancy.

    > history. If you want details, we need to hook up by email, because
    > the jerk is apparently suing me. I have no doubt at all, I will win.
    > But the jerk is gonna do some serious cash in my direction, SHMG.
    > BTW, if you intend to do me harm and you're less than 10 yards from me
    > - you better say some prayers quick. Cause I'll put 3 rounds in your
    > chest and 2 through your eye before you can take a breath. Like the
    > duke sayd, not braggin, just fact, ma'am. Sorry Nancy, I'm not trying
    > to act like some bigshot.

    This is the second post in a row that you threatened to hurt me. I know,
    you don't mean *me* you but I promise I have no intention of hurting you
    or your family or pets in any way.

    I wouldn't mind the story of your lawsuit, you can email me.

    nancy

  17. Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
    so great) words of knowledge:
    > I'm sure I told you all that back near the first of November, we
    > rescued a freezing, starving Boxer dog. Good grief, what a stroke of
    > fortune. I have had many dogs in my life and currently have 3 other
    > great dogs, but this "gentleman" is more than I ever hoped for. I
    > have a potentially fatal affliction (don't mourn, just get over it - I
    > have) At this moment, as I type, he is trying to get me to "play" -
    > which, OMG is an invitation for stiches. OK, I have to go deal with
    > the mutt - just rest assured that if you are looking fer yer first dog
    > - a Boxer is the way to go. Loyal beyond belief. If I'm sick in bed,
    > He's at my feet and anyone who enters the room gets a facefull of
    > teeth and growl until he figures that theyre really supposed to be
    > there. Dang, get a dog - that's all I can say.

    My wife and I raised and bred boxers for almost 15 years.

    Boxers are very loyal and HIGHLY PROTECTIVE of "their family". They are
    not protective in a vicious sense, but protective in that, until THEY
    determine the person/situation is OK, that person/situation is not going
    to get to you as long as they are alive.

    If you have kids, get a boxer. The ONLY other breed I am aware of that
    is better with kids than a boxer is a golden retriever.

  18. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:

    > BTW, if you intend to do me harm and you're less than 10 yards from me
    > - you better say some prayers quick. Cause I'll put 3 rounds in your
    > chest and 2 through your eye before you can take a breath. Like the
    > duke sayd, not braggin, just fact, ma'am. Sorry Nancy, I'm not trying
    > to act like some bigshot. I'm just telling you that a lot of us
    > "nobodies" out there shoot every weekend and can take care of
    > oursleves, thank you very much. I have a 16-year old daughter. And
    > if for NO other reason, I keep my skills honed. Because if you hurt
    > my girl, I'm going to prison, and I don't care.

    WTF?

  19. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > AlleyGator wrote:
    >
    >> BTW, if you intend to do me harm and you're less than 10 yards from me
    >> - you better say some prayers quick. Cause I'll put 3 rounds in your
    >> chest and 2 through your eye before you can take a breath. Like the
    >> duke sayd, not braggin, just fact, ma'am. Sorry Nancy, I'm not trying
    >> to act like some bigshot. I'm just telling you that a lot of us
    >> "nobodies" out there shoot every weekend and can take care of
    >> oursleves, thank you very much. I have a 16-year old daughter. And
    >> if for NO other reason, I keep my skills honed. Because if you hurt
    >> my girl, I'm going to prison, and I don't care.

    > WTF?

    I'd like to second that "WTF?"
    Goomba

  20. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm sure I told you all that back near the first of November, we
    > rescued a freezing, starving Boxer dog. Good grief, what a stroke of
    > fortune. I have had many dogs in my life and currently have 3 other
    > great dogs, but this "gentleman" is more than I ever hoped for. I
    > have a potentially fatal affliction (don't mourn, just get over it - I
    > have) At this moment, as I type, he is trying to get me to "play" -
    > which, OMG is an invitation for stiches. OK, I have to go deal with
    > the mutt - just rest assured that if you are looking fer yer first dog
    > - a Boxer is the way to go. Loyal beyond belief. If I'm sick in bed,
    > He's at my feet and anyone who enters the room gets a facefull of
    > teeth and growl until he figures that theyre really supposed to be
    > there. Dang, get a dog - that's all I can say.

    Giggle! Yep, we too have a Boxer dog. (Ms.) Petey's Maximum Security
    (PMS). She totally rocks. She has the sweetest disposition and at nearly 7
    she still thinks she is a puppy. One added plus - she doesn't drool!!!

    Cyndi