WAYYY OT - boxers do indeed rule!

"Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ruddell <ruddell'Elle-Kabong'@canada.com> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> A dogs loyalty is never questioned and you're never alone if
>> you've got a dog...

> Plus, they make great "before the doorbell" doorbells.
>
> Annabelle
> Jack Russell "Terror"
> 1983 - 1994
> R.I.P.
>==========

Oh geez... ours is more like a doorbell extender. The doorbell rings "ding
ding" which is followed by
'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
woof woof woof woof woof arfffff arrrffff'. <sigh> We're about ready to
disconnect our door bell. She totally goes nuts when she knows somebody is
at the door!
Cyndi

AlleyGator wrote:

> Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>We always had "stupid" but "loving" doggies while growing up (little
>>mix-breeds of cockapoos & such. They would never hurt a soul.
>>
>>I miss having a doggie, but right now life is too busy. Maybe when the
>>boy-child gets old enough to help, we will get him his own "first
>>doggie". Has to be a lap-dog though. :)

> Denise, Lord what can I say? Even a "stupid" dog is a blessing. Do
> you have (apparently) small children?. Dang, get a dog. Your kids
> will hug you and say "thanks mom" someday. I swear to God, you won't
> regret it. My son is almost 20 and still pines fer the Lab that used
> to knock him on his butt with the tail. Dogs are a gift from God - I
> am convinced. I am CERTAIN that dogs are a special breed of animal
> with no other likeness in the universe - bar none. If you can change
> my mind about this, go for it - I'm pretty sure I can kick your butt.

He is almost 3, but seriously, Id rather wait till he is a little older
and I have less to deal with. Right now I dont think I could handle a
small child & a pet. Plus to get a puppy nowadays, you have to
practically empty your bank account.

"Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
snip
> I miss having a doggie, but right now life is too busy. Maybe when the
> boy-child gets old enough to help, we will get him his own "first doggie".
> Has to be a lap-dog though. :)

When you are ready, be sure to look into the rescue groups. There are
rescue groups for most all breeds and they will work cross country if
necessary to place dogs. If you insist on a pure bred, those are available
through the rescue groups too, and just about any age of dog, even pups.
The rescue groups work with the dogs they place before placement. They know
if the dog is good with children and other animals and so forth. The fee
for adopting a rescue dog is a lot less than purchasing a pup from a
(hopefully) qualified breeder with a good reputation. Any vet or the Humane
Society should be able to put you in touch with the rescue groups in your
area.
Janet

>> A dogs loyalty is never questioned and you're never alone if
>> you've got a dog...

> Plus, they make great "before the doorbell" doorbells.
>
> Annabelle
> Jack Russell "Terror"
> 1983 - 1994
> R.I.P.
>
> --
> "If you can't do it naturally, then fake it."
> - Alfred Hitchcock
> Spoken to Ingrid Bergman

j j the short-legged jack russell terrior, *knows, without a doubt,* that
he is the size of a great dane...especially when he tries to chase the
squirrels up the big oak tree in the backyard..

Harriet & critters, J J & PK the lady manx who rules the house

"hw" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>>> A dogs loyalty is never questioned and you're never alone if
>>> you've got a dog...

>> Plus, they make great "before the doorbell" doorbells.
>>
>> Annabelle
>> Jack Russell "Terror"
>> 1983 - 1994
>> R.I.P.
>>
>> --
>> "If you can't do it naturally, then fake it."
>> - Alfred Hitchcock
>> Spoken to Ingrid Bergman

> j j the short-legged jack russell terrior, *knows, without a doubt,*
> that he is the size of a great dane...especially when he tries to
> chase the squirrels up the big oak tree in the backyard..
>
> Harriet & critters, J J & PK the lady manx who rules the house

Of course every pet owner has stories to tell, so here are a couple of
Annabelle's.

Sniffed around the backyard garage door all day. We put the door up and
she went to work sniffing. Three days later, she presented us with a
dead rat on the backdoor mat. She was so proud and so were we!

Left a box of donuts on the kitchen table and went shopping. Came back
and the box was empty and she had buried portions of them into the
corners of each chair and couch in the house. Kinda obvious?!

Gave her a valium (vet prescribed) at a big house/pool party since she
snapped at the kids. For 10 hours locked in the den she barked and
barked. After everybody left, we opened the door, she came out, took
one sniff, looked around and then BLAMO she hit the floor. fast asleep!

Made pancakes one morning and we gave her the leftover pancake. She
promptly took it outside and buried it... "her contribution for when
times get rough," we figured.

Andy

--

Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
>Plus, they make great "before the doorbell" doorbells.

Yeah, but for some reason they temporarliy turn into Beagles when they
do this. Pretty annoying.

"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Oh geez... ours is more like a doorbell extender. The doorbell rings "ding
>ding" which is followed by
>'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>woof woof woof woof woof arfffff arrrffff'. <sigh> We're about ready to
>disconnect our door bell. She totally goes nuts when she knows somebody is
>at the door!

That's it - that's the sound I hate so much. The woof isn't bad but
the 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" leading up to it is murder.

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>This is the second post in a row that you threatened to hurt me. I know,
>you don't mean *me* you but I promise I have no intention of hurting you
>or your family or pets in any way.
>
>I wouldn't mind the story of your lawsuit, you can email me.
>
>nancy

Ooops. Sorry, Nancy - I gotta watch my mouth. It was figurative, of
course - and I didn't mean I would hurt YOU. (Back to blackboard,
doing best imitation of Bart). I've been off all week barfing - it's
taken it's toll.

Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'd like to second that "WTF?"
>Goomba

I'd like to answer it, but I don't know how. Sorry about that - I
gotta learn to keep a lid on things. I'm working on it, I swear. A
little rage from something else popped up due to a comment someone
made to me while posting, and I have been sick all week. I need to
think before I post - say, that's a good one for the blackboard a
hundred times - I'll be back later. <G>

Denise~* <[email protected]> wrote:
>He is almost 3, but seriously, Id rather wait till he is a little older
>and I have less to deal with. Right now I dont think I could handle a
>small child & a pet. Plus to get a puppy nowadays, you have to
>practically empty your bank account.

Seems that a lot of times there is very little difference between a
dog and a 2 year old - They both need a huge amount of attention.
You're right, it's a big job.

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>Are you sure he's part chow? Labradors often have black on their
>tongues even if purebreds.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

No, actually I'm not sure - and I wasn't aware of the above. I know
the mother, but they just told me the pop was BL/Chow. May not be, I
guess - he has a really big head though.

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>I know I already said this, my neighbor's kid brought one home, well
>if this isn't the friggin sweetest dog you ever met (okay, unless you had
>met mine, Rascal the wire haired fox terrier) ... oh, what a doll face.
>If I dare to get another dog some day, I'll SERIOUSLY consider a
>boxer, even though they are bigger than I like. Nice nice dogs.
>
>nancy

They are a little big for indoors at first glance, but he really seems
to have fit in pretty well. I don't know if it's just him or the
breed, but it's either "feast or famine". He's either laying dead to
the world for hours, or wound up like a coiled spring. Not ever
having had one of these before - are they all nuts, all the time?
When he's awake, he's eternally bored and pesters me to no end. I'm
getting ready to head back to bed, but as I type, I just threw him a
2-liter soda bottle to amuse himself with, and it sounds like the
second floor is going to collapse onto my head any second. The other
night I looked at him and said (like he had a clue) "Why don't you go
act like a dog? Leave me alone.". They are, however, free
entertainment as long as you are fairly resistant to noise (I had 14
9-year old girls over for a slumber party once - I can survive
anything.)

"AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>This is the second post in a row that you threatened to hurt me. I know,
>>you don't mean *me* you but I promise I have no intention of hurting you
>>or your family or pets in any way.

> Ooops. Sorry, Nancy - I gotta watch my mouth. It was figurative, of
> course - and I didn't mean I would hurt YOU. (Back to blackboard,
> doing best imitation of Bart). I've been off all week barfing - it's
> taken it's toll.

I know, and I'm really sorry you're so sick. Hope you feel better soon,
but that sounds trite, I know.

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>I know, and I'm really sorry you're so sick. Hope you feel better soon,
>but that sounds trite, I know.
>
>nancy

No, actually I appreciate it a lot. I tried to go back to bed but
I've got the 'willies". You know, where you're just not comfortable
sitting, standing, laying, walking - boy, I'm a wimp this week. And
my son, right before he left to finish a re-hab job he's on, showed me
the blueprints he got for a small log home he plans to build. He has
to pay off the land first. It's cool to see the guy grow up and do
something. I'm gonna be jealous if he pulls this off.

"AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote

> No, actually I appreciate it a lot. I tried to go back to bed but
> I've got the 'willies". You know, where you're just not comfortable
> sitting, standing, laying, walking - boy, I'm a wimp this week.

Oh, gawd, that happened to me once when I had a bad reaction
to steroids. Sheer misery. The hallucinations were fun, too.

nancy

I'm a long time lurker both here and on the AFB group and it takes dogs to
make me come out of hiding. Now that I'm out of my shell I'll try and stay
out. My wife and I are both foodies
My family and I are proudly owned but a Black Lab, A siberian Husky and an
Alaskan Husky. all rescued and are rulers of the house. What an alarm
system, the lab sounds like a bear when anybody comes to the door and the
huskies just stare at you with those blue eyes never blinking. I always
thought the lab was the protective one until a very aggressive 100+lb German
Shepard looked at my 4 year old daughter like a TV dinner.. The lab ran to
me for protection and the huskies practically tore that Shepard apart
protecting my girl. They were even tied up at the time.

Eric from Montreal

"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm sure I told you all that back near the first of November, we
>> rescued a freezing, starving Boxer dog. Good grief, what a stroke of
>> fortune. I have had many dogs in my life and currently have 3 other
>> great dogs, but this "gentleman" is more than I ever hoped for. I
>> have a potentially fatal affliction (don't mourn, just get over it - I
>> have) At this moment, as I type, he is trying to get me to "play" -
>> which, OMG is an invitation for stiches. OK, I have to go deal with
>> the mutt - just rest assured that if you are looking fer yer first dog
>> - a Boxer is the way to go. Loyal beyond belief. If I'm sick in bed,
>> He's at my feet and anyone who enters the room gets a facefull of
>> teeth and growl until he figures that theyre really supposed to be
>> there. Dang, get a dog - that's all I can say.

> ==================
>
> Giggle! Yep, we too have a Boxer dog. (Ms.) Petey's Maximum Security
> (PMS). She totally rocks. She has the sweetest disposition and at nearly
> 7 she still thinks she is a puppy. One added plus - she doesn't drool!!!
>
> Cyndi

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Oh, gawd, that happened to me once when I had a bad reaction
>to steroids. Sheer misery. The hallucinations were fun, too.

I believe this points back to a prior thread about college and
mushrooms - never mind.

"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Giggle! Yep, we too have a Boxer dog. (Ms.) Petey's Maximum Security
>(PMS). She totally rocks. She has the sweetest disposition and at nearly 7
>she still thinks she is a puppy. One added plus - she doesn't drool!!!
>
>Cyndi

You are indeed fortunate. At the small, faint sound of water or food
being touched, I head him off with a rag and say "sit, and take it
like a man". I hate drool.

[email protected] (AlleyGator), if that's their real name,
wrote:

>"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Oh geez... ours is more like a doorbell extender. The doorbell rings "ding
>>ding" which is followed by
>>'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>>woof woof woof woof woof arfffff arrrffff'. <sigh> We're about ready to
>>disconnect our door bell. She totally goes nuts when she knows somebody is
>>at the door!

>That's it - that's the sound I hate so much. The woof isn't bad but
>the 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" leading up to it is murder.

Our fearless watchdogs run to the door when the mailman comes (no barking),
and then try to accompany him on his route.

Carol

Dave Smith wrote:

> A surprisingly sweet tempered dog is the English Bulldog. They have a
> fierce sort of appearance but I know a few people who have had them and loved
> them. They have a very loving disposition despite that pushed in face.

My last dog was an English Bulldog, she was very sweet. I would love to
have another dog but I travel too much.

Becca