WBT goes to the 2006 Giro !

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Jan 9, 2006.

1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Hullo - WBT will be traveling to Stage 17 to Plan de Corones of this years Giro (http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006//giro06/?id=stages/giro0617). This stage is the toughest of the race and the last 5km will be on unsurfaced dirt roads.

I’m all booked up and plan to spend sometime with Mrs.WBT in the Dolomite mountains after the stage.

The route is to fly from London to Munich, two days there catching up with friends then take a 4 hour train ride down to Brunico/Riscone. Riscone is the small town situated at Plan de Corones. The hotel I have booked is at the foot of the peak of Plan de Cornes and only a 5km walk down to a position where the dirt road begins. (there are several hotels around this area but only two which are close to the stage finish.)

After a couple of days of resting in the Dolomite mountains we will take a light aircraft through the mountains to
    Milan to watch the race finish. After this we will fly back to London from Milan - (you can also take a 2 hour train ride to Innsbruck then fly to London)

If you would like some more information from me on train times, plane’s, hotels etc let me know…..

awesome WBT out.

Tags:

2. Virenque

Virenque New Member

It will be a great trip! I love Dolomites.

3. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

It will be ! I note that the Giro passes through the Julian Alps.... do they ride into Slovenia ?

4. Virenque

Virenque New Member

No. They did in 2004 and there was a stage finish in Ljubljana in 2001. They will go to Austria this year.

Plan de Corones is on very interesting mountain. It`s without forest so views are perfect. Webcams...

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Great shots.... I hope the snow clears by May..... big Jan won't like the cold up there ! :)

Stage finish in 2001 ! Do you remember what street they finished in ? Was it in the center ? or outside of Ljubljana main ?

6. Virenque

Virenque New Member

It was on Celovska street (Celovska = Klagenfurt`s), in front of Hala Tivoli, Ljubljana`s biggest sports arena. It`s just outside the center. About 2 km from it. If you know where hotel Lev is, it was on the same street few 100 m further.

7. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

I do know where that is funny enough... I stayed in some apartments once which were close by to the sports arena.... did you get down the finish to have a look ? Did the riders stay around after the stage ? Did they enter Slovenia via Treste ? (spelling ?)

Did the riders feast on Burek after the race ? :p

8. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Yes I was there. Most of riders went to team buses and left as soon as possible. I almost touched Pantani, who passed me with his soigneur after the stage. But there were too many people. They entered via Villa Opicina, which is few km from Trieste. Guess where was next stage start? In Bled! I doubt about burek..:D Stage 10 and stage 11..

9. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

In Bled ! Wow ! Can't believe I missed all that.... that would of been a great stage.. the roads are very smooth around that area... did they do a lap of the lake ? or just ride past it..... would of been good to sit in one of the bars in Bled and watch them come through... maybe they will go there again sometime soon ? Do you know where in Bled they started ? At Toplice ?

10. Virenque

Virenque New Member

I don`t know where they started. I don`t remember anymore. I think they even didn`t ride past the lake. I don`t think they will go there soon. Giro comes to Slovenia about every 5-10 years. Most likely to Ljubljana, Kranj, Gorica or coastal region.

11. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Getting back to the thread proper; I'm going to buy a mini handheld TV from Casio..... I found from previous Tours that its hard work standing on the side of the mountain and not knowing whats going on in the race.... I suggest anyone planning to go to the Tour this year is to invest in one of this units... they only cost around $100USD and have worldwide reception coverage..... (http://www.casio.co.uk/prod/product.asp?ID=201)

12. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

I will be there too!

13. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Haha, look, it`s already cycling on it! But consider option that you won`t find RAI 3 or other italian cable/satelite channel with usual antena. I think that RAI 3 is just on cable and satelite.

14. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Good point.... so the Giro is not on free to air TV in Italy ? :confused:

I'll have to watch in hotel then run down to the mountain to watch Big Jan attacking Basso on the dirt paved roads........ :)

15. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Or in front of one of plenty moto caravans with satelites. But if you won`t find anything usefull, consider that that`s a tax for watching cycling live!:)

Try to contact RAI..if they speak english..:rolleyes:

16. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

The Giro is on free to air TV but RAI 3 broadcast in Digital Terrestrial format. You need a receiver for that. BUT: it`s possible to watch it on notebooks with receiver software for DT(so you don`t need an extra receiver) and a small antenna (about 6 cm).

By the way Digital Terrestrial is an EU thing, all countries will have to put the analogue signals off by hmmmm i believe 2010.

I used my notebook with the receiver software during last years Giro and it worked very well.

17. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Thank-you very much.... so my little casio handheld will work on the side of the mountain.... don't really want to carry a laptop arond with me...... :) Although if I had the laptop I could post itesms to cyclingforums.com on the road ! :p

18. alibat

alibat New Member

I am sooooo jealous WBT. Sometimes my job is such a pain. Us teachers might get a long summer break but it never ties in well with the racing. I would swap some of those weeks for being able to take time when I wanted. Can only make the last weekend of the Tour as well again this year. Not happy. Can anyone think of good excuse to take a few decent kids to Giro or Tour on the premise of a school trip (remembering I teach Science not PE or Geography)? Any other suggestions other than get a new job?

19. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

Looking forward to getting some real time reports. Bring the laptop or find internet cafes at the end of each day.

20. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

I will have my laptop with me and write some reports at the forum, pictures will be (you will find pictures of the 2005 Giro there as well) at the website below (See signature)