WBT goes to the 2006 Giro !

How many people were above Furcia before you were informed that stage was shortened?

Virenque said:
How many people were above Furcia before you were informed that stage was shortened?
Hard too say but it must have been several thousand people. A lot of them where wiser than i was, as i was looking for a position at a steep part (after the pantani curve) to take pictures people already started to move in the direction of Furcia. I wasn't smart enough to join them. In the end i didn't care that they skipped Corones, it was good for the riders.

alibat, totally off topic but you should really find out what your local youth service is doing - say this because I run a project promoting mobility between UK and France - next year have a proposal for kids to meet up and watch P-R or RvV as we work with Belgium too :)

If I get approached to fund trips I don't mind who goes with so long as they are CRB checked - and am sure you could think of co-project with geography/sports departments around cycling and TdF ;)

WBT thought of you when they shortened the stage - what a bast*rd

Hope you had a good time despite? And when do we get to see photos?

micron said:
WBT thought of you when they shortened the stage - what a bast*rd

Hope you had a good time despite? And when do we get to see photos?
Thanks for the thoughts... perhaps if you sent some warmth it could of been better ! It was so cold on top of the Kronenplatz. The temperature would have been around 4c but the wind chill factor was around -10. I did attempt at one stage to walk down the mountain in attempt to get closer to the new stage finish (and not that I knew there was one it was just a guess) but my fingers with gloves on almost froze off. There is a picture below of one of the beer tents which was being held up by the staff because the wind was so strong. I bumped into an American couple who asked me if I knew of the stage finish had been moved or not. I said I didn’t know and asked them if they had come all the way from the US for this stage. They told me they had and now they were going to see nothing ! I'm annoyed that the stage finish was moved because in 1988 they would have run the stage to the top. These days the riders have a lot more say. In addition the Giro organizers didn't tell anyone on the mountain that the stage finish had been moved. My theory is the mountain is only open in the winter for skiing closes in the summer. The reopened the mountain for the stage and didn't want everyone leaving the bars if they announced the move. Also they probably didn't want people walking down in the mountain into a white abyss. I managed to watch some of the stage in one of the bars but Mrs. WBT had, had enough and we left the mountain and saw the stage finish at the hotel. Funny enough around 7pm local time the sky's cleared and clouds disappeared to reveal a clear blue sky ! The next day was absolutely beautiful. If they run the stage again, I’m going back as the town below the Kronenplatz was lovely and great people around as well.

Photo link is at: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/whiteboytrash73/album?.dir=/3b04re2&.src=ph

Hi there WBT

I have been reading your Giro report...very impressive..great photos as well. I am heading to Bormio Italy after the TdF this year and then I may head to Cortina in the Dolomites. Any recommendations on a better village to stay nearby? Cortina has very few "cheaper"forms of accomodation like a hostel etc.

Would be great to hear your recommendations on hotels and villages.

Cheers

Had a few spare minutes to scan through this thread (I haven't read it up until now because I was jealous after reading the first few posts and there were other threads I wanted to keep up with).

Thank you especially to WBT and Cyclingheroes. Love your work!