WCR: Fort William (long)

Bomba

Guest
So, as you may know I was at the first round of the World Cup in Fort William for the last week. I
went there as a guest / wrench for Edge Bikes (www.edgebikes.com) and what a cracking time we had.

We arrived on the Wednesday so my brother could get some practice on the course.
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0001.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0002.JPG

The bottom of the DH course combined with the 4X course, which made the middle double stupid.
Imagine going from a 20+ foot double in to an 8 foot double at the same speed. Bad design. Most guys
chose to clear the downslope and the flat and on to the next downslope - a jump of about 30 foot.
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0003.JPG

The approach to the jump under the Tissot inflatable.
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0004.JPG

The very top of the course. The finish is where all those trees in the valley are - a drop of 525m
over 2.6km. The top guys were doing the course in just over four minutes.
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0006.JPG

Edge Bikes owner Adrian - Eddie from Bottom? http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0007.JPG

This caught me somewhat unawares, hence the lack of head. Gracia decided to hit the Tissot jump and
suicide it. Pretty impressive when you consider he's travelling about 30 odd mph and clearing a jump
of over 30 foot. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD00010.JPG

Pit area: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0011.JPG

The start - finish area during qualifying. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0014.JPG

The 4X final was on Saturday evening. All three of the Edge 4X riders (Rich Batey, Jordan Gould
and Nick Green) qualified, although unfortunately Nick Green crashed through the four pack in
practice and had to be carried down the mountain on a stretcher. Luckily, a trip to A&E showed no
serious damage.

We managed to get a fantastic vantage point for the 4X on the side of the first berm. And here are
the pics: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0016.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0017.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0018.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0019.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0020.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0021.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0022.JPG

This is the middle section of the track. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0023.JPG

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0024.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0025.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0026.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0027.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0028.JPG

Bas de Bever and Mike King just about to go out of the side of the berm. We'd moved from that spot 5
minutes earlier :) http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0029.JPG

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0030.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0031.JPG

Women's final (Llanes won): http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0032.JPG

Men's final: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0033.JPG Carter, Peat and Probic all
crashed on the first double allowing Minaar to cruise down the course for the win.

Mickael Pascal over the Tissot jump in Sunday practice.
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0034.JPG

Rob Warner in practice (damned tree). http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0035.JPG

Neil Harris (bruv) in practice http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0036.JPG

A crappy video of Aidan Bishop (also Edge Bikes) hitting the Tissot jump in practice:
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0008.AVI

The upper section of the course taken from the gondola during the race.
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0040.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0041.JPG
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0042.JPG

Middle section http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0043.JPG

End http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0044.JPG

We got a fantastic vantage point for seeing the final riders coming in (on top of Martyn Hawes and
Martin Ashton's truck). This is Bas de Bever coming in in 7th place.
http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0045.JPG

To wrap up, all the photos can be found here: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/

Gracia took the win in the men's and Celine Gros the women's. My brother took a tree in his
qualifying run and couldn't get it out - I think he got 115th. The other Edge rider, Aidan Bishop
missed out on qualifying by four seconds.

Went out on the Sunday night to the riders' party at one of the hotels and it all went off. Gracia
was absolutely blitzed and everyone followed his lead. The place was getting rowdy and they closed
the bar at 11 for all non-residents. The party continued though and all got a little out of hand. A
fight broke out between two of the British riders (for upsetting someone's parents - hardcore!) and
that's when the police arrived. On their way out, someone, who shall remain nameless, decided to
take a WPC's hat as a souvenir!

Quality weekend. With any luck, I'll be back there next year.

bomba says:

<snip good stuff>

>On their way out, someone, who shall remain nameless, decided to take a WPC's hat as a souvenir!

To hide the helmet hair?

> [...]

> Gracia took the win in the men's and Celine Gros the women's. My brother took a tree in his
> qualifying run and couldn't get it out - I think he got 115th. The other Edge rider, Aidan Bishop
> missed out on qualifying by four seconds.
>
> Went out on the Sunday night to the riders' party at one of the hotels and it all went off. Gracia
> was absolutely blitzed and everyone followed his lead. The place was getting rowdy and they closed
> the bar at 11 for all non-residents. The party continued though and all got a little out of hand.
> A fight broke out between two of the British riders (for upsetting someone's parents - hardcore!)
> and that's when the police arrived. On their way out, someone, who shall remain nameless, decided
> to take a WPC's hat as a souvenir!
>
> Quality weekend. With any luck, I'll be back there next year.

Excellent coverage! I'll be reporting from NORBA NCS at Snowshoe WV next week. Congrats to your bro
for surviving at least!!! Tough (but fun) lookin' course.

Mike

> So, as you may know I was at the first round of the World Cup in Fort William for the last week. I
> went there as a guest / wrench for Edge Bikes (www.edgebikes.com) and what a cracking time we had.

<snip>

> Quality weekend. With any luck, I'll be back there next year.

Cheers Jon - cool pics. Pity about your bro' and that tree though.

Later,

Shaun aRe

bomba wrote:

> On their way out, someone, who shall remain nameless, decided to take a WPC's hat as a souvenir!
>
> Quality weekend. With any luck, I'll be back there next year.

Very nice report... but please name names!!!

Jimbo(san)

> So, as you may know I was at the first round of the World Cup in Fort William for the last week. I
> went there as a guest / wrench for Edge Bikes (www.edgebikes.com) and what a cracking time we had.

Excellent, did you get a chance to ride the course? On your rigid singlespeed project??

> Neil Harris (bruv) in practice http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0036.JPG

Is it journalistic favouritism that your bro is the only one showing some style? BTW where abouts is
the landing for this jump?

> To wrap up, all the photos can be found here: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/

Great photos, cheers Bomba.

> Gracia took the win in the men's and Celine Gros the women's. My brother took a tree in his
> qualifying run and couldn't get it out - I think he got 115th.

Bummer. Do they only get one run in qualifying?

> Went out on the Sunday night to the riders' party at one of the hotels and it all went off. Gracia
> was absolutely blitzed and everyone followed his lead. The place was getting rowdy and they closed
> the bar at 11 for all non-residents. The party continued though and all got a little out of hand.
> A fight broke out between two of the British riders (for upsetting someone's parents - hardcore!)
> and that's when the police arrived. On their way out, someone, who shall remain nameless, decided
> to take a WPC's hat as a souvenir!

And might that souvenier be currently resting atop a mantlepiece in Germany ;-)

Steve E.

spademan o---[) * wrote:

>>So, as you may know I was at the first round of the World Cup in Fort William for the last week. I
>>went there as a guest / wrench for Edge Bikes (www.edgebikes.com) and what a cracking time we had.
>

> Excellent, did you get a chance to ride the course? On your rigid singlespeed project??

Course was only open to competitors, plus, my (second) SS isn't up and running yet.

>>Neil Harris (bruv) in practice http://www.j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0036.JPG
>

> Is it journalistic favouritism that your bro is the only one showing some style? BTW where abouts
> is the landing for this jump?

Not deliberate, he's just annoyingly stylish. He reckons he screwed up that jump too...

The landing is about another couple of metres to the right.

>>Gracia took the win in the men's and Celine Gros the women's. My brother took a tree in his
>>qualifying run and couldn't get it out - I think he got 115th.
>

> Bummer. Do they only get one run in qualifying?

Yep - the semi-finals. Quite sad (read: funny) watching some people who'd travelled from the other
side of the world rolling over the finish line with flats / mechanicals.

>>Went out on the Sunday night to the riders' party at one of the hotels and it all went off. Gracia
>>was absolutely blitzed and everyone followed his lead. The place was getting rowdy and they closed
>>the bar at 11 for all non-residents. The party continued though and all got a little out of hand.
>>A fight broke out between two of the British riders (for upsetting someone's parents - hardcore!)
>>and that's when the police arrived. On their way out, someone, who shall remain nameless, decided
>>to take a WPC's hat as a souvenir!
>

> And might that souvenier be currently resting atop a mantlepiece in Germany ;-)

Not at all. As I mentioned in another post, I'd already left by that point and didn't hear the story
till the next morning.