WD-40 Bike Products

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
Anyone use them?

http://www.wd40bike.com/

I see a couple of the local bike shops are selling WD-40 products. Going to give the wet chain oil a try...after the glacier retreats from Ohio.

Well now that confuses things - everyone has been saying for years not to use WD40 on a chain.

Regular WD 40 is a solvent not to be confused with a true lubricant, but they do have other products.

WD-40 is BOTH a lubricant AND a solvent. I've used it as a light lube oil for decades...as does our machining facility.

From WD-40's website:

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Stoddard Solvent Myth: WD-40 contains Stoddard Solvent.
Fact:
Over the past few decades, the name Stoddard Solvent was synonymous with all mineral spirits. Today, the mineral spirits found in products like ours are more refined and processed (see hydrogenation, hydrotreating and distillation techniques) providing mixtures with varying boiling points, cleaning ability, and chemical composition.
The catchall phrase “Stoddard Solvent” is no longer adequate to tell the proper story. WD-40 does indeed have 50% mineral spirits, but they are refined and purified for specific characteristics needed to meet today’s performance, regulatory, and safety requirements.

Heads would asplode if they saw what we did with the free railroad box car full of free discontinued Zimmer Z-Lube surgical tool lubricant I was given!

If I get to the BS that is supposedly stocking the new wet chain oil, I'll snag a bottle and let you know how it compares to regular non-detergent motor oil, synthetic motor oil, Finish Line Wet and that high zoot stuff I bought that flys off the chain as well as any cheap oil I've used.

Quote by Maydog:
"Well now that confuses things - everyone has been saying for years not to use WD40 on a chain."

True that!

WD has always been great for flushing **** out of a chain and it leaves a good carrier film that mixes with heavier oils to promote a fast flow into the bushings. It is, IMO, too light for use as a chain lube. Like the guys on the TV gun show say, "This is a game changa!!".

Bike chains/gears are low speed/high pressure power transmission drive trains and I've always been a fan of heavy oils...stinky old 120 weight gear oils and even a light smear of grease and frequent cleanings give me the best wear, but it's messy. And nothing races faster than a freshly cleaned chain soaked in light spindle oil!

The bottom line is don't use WD40 as a stand alone lubricant for your chain unless you like rust.

Meh...if that's the case, you just need to give your chain a quick shot of WD-40 Rust Release!

Then give it a good coat of WD-40 Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor!

After that, just a light spritz of WD-40 Water Resistant Silicone Lubricant!

Or...if you operate in a dusty or sandy environment, your chain might benefit from a hosing down with WD-40 PTFE Dry Lubricant!