We are new to this hobby

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello folks,

    We are new to this newsgroup, so apologise if we are are things that have been asked already. We
    have just bought ourselves two new bicycles. We have not spent a lot of money, but are trying to
    take up the hobby and hopefully get to see a few nice country sights in the process. We were
    wondering if you folks could tell us anything about the bicycles we have bought. Are they reliable?
    If not, what common problems should we expect to see. The bicycles are: Emmelle Gemini & a Falcon
    Riviera. Thanks for your help in advance.

    JOHN & LISA

    Tags:

  2. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > We are new to this newsgroup, so apologise if we are are things that have been asked already. We
    > have just bought ourselves two new bicycles. We
    have
    > not spent a lot of money, but are trying to take up the hobby and
    hopefully
    > get to see a few nice country sights in the process. We were wondering if you folks could tell us
    > anything about the bicycles we have bought. Are
    they
    > reliable? If not, what common problems should we expect to see. The
    bicycles
    > are: Emmelle Gemini & a Falcon Riviera. Thanks for your help in advance.
    >
    > JOHN & LISA

    They are good cheap standard bikes. If you havent paid much then they will nbe fine. Hmmm....
    Advice.... lets see... Keep pedaling while changing gear, never backpedal while changing gear or the
    chain will come off. After a few weeks the gear changing will go off, dont worry this is normal and
    is caused by the cables stretching a bit. take the bikes back to the shop and they shoul readjust
    them for you. It only takes a minute or so. Always set out into the wind so you get pushed home.
    Enjoy yourselves.

    Stan Cox

    P.s. Oh yes beware of places with Hill in the name :)

  3. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > We are new to this newsgroup, so apologise if we are are things that have been asked already. We
    > have just bought ourselves two new bicycles. We
    have
    > not spent a lot of money, but are trying to take up the hobby and
    hopefully
    > get to see a few nice country sights in the process. We were wondering if you folks could tell us
    > anything about the bicycles we have bought. Are
    they
    > reliable? If not, what common problems should we expect to see. The
    bicycles
    > are: Emmelle Gemini & a Falcon Riviera. Thanks for your help in advance.
    >
    > JOHN & LISA

    You'll get on just fine. You'll meet the nicest people when you've got a puncture ... we'll always
    stop and help.

    Bring a few basics with you (ask your local bike shop), and keep your bike maintained! A rusty bike
    is a bad bike :)

    And then enjoy ......

  4. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Following on from John's message. . .
    >Hello folks,
    >
    >We are new to this newsgroup, so apologise if we are are things that have been asked already. We
    >have just bought ourselves two new bicycles. We have not spent a lot of money, but are trying to
    >take up the hobby and hopefully get to see a few nice country sights in the process. We were
    >wondering if you folks could tell us anything about the bicycles we have bought. Are they
    You make it sound like the antiques road show :)

    (1) Find a good LBS. [LBS=Local bike shop] The big multiples tend to get a bad reputation for
    ignorant staff but small shops can be poor also. If I may hazard an opinion: The multiples want
    sales while the independents want customers. A good LBS will be able to help you with specific
    problems and steer you to 'better' bikes when you get the bug and want to upgrade.

    (2) Bikes go wrong a lot to begin (first couple of weeks) with then run for ever then get tired.
    The run-forever bit is helped with TLC and well specified parts. You'll want to tweak things
    like the saddle height to begin with and as you know every tweak is an opportunity for the bolt
    to be insufficiently tightened. Most bike shops have a policy of checking the bike after a few
    weeks for free.

    (3) The minimal tool kit is nothing. Many like to have a mobile phone to summon help. Punctures are
    an infrequent fact of life. Most people take a spare inner tube and practice how to change it.
    (After removing the cause of the problem.)

    The bottom line is that if you do basic maintenance it is better to think of all the reasons for
    getting a better bike than worrying about what will fall off. Enjoy.

    PS Get a copy of Cyclecraft by John Franklin ISBN 0-11-702051-6.
    PP Don't cycle in the hedge/gutter.
    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

    Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm East Anglian Pub cycle rides
    www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides

  5. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Following on from John's message. . .
    > >Hello folks,
    ><big snip>
    >
    > PPS Don't cycle in the hedge/gutter.
    > --
    > PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

    Now that IS good advice. If you cycle a little bit out from the gutter and hold your line cars will
    give you more room and also you will puncture less from the junk in the gutter.

    Stan Cox

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Stan Cox wrote:

    > Now that IS good advice. <snip>

    For plenty more the usual recommended book is Cyclecraft: Skilled Cycling Techniques for Adults, by
    John Franklin

    Published by The Stationery Office Books; ISBN: 0117020516

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

  8. <snip> You'll meet the nicest people when you've got a puncture ... we'll always stop and
    help. </snip>

    I'm heading out from Derby to Worthington this evening on the sustrans route - can you arrange to be
    in the Melbourne area, just in case I do spring a leak? :p

    Pete.

    ---------------------------
    Peter Connolly Derby UK

  9. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

  10. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:01:13 +0100, "Peter Connolly" <[email protected]spamrequired.com> wrote:

    >I'm heading out from Derby to Worthington this evening on the sustrans route - can you arrange to
    >be in the Melbourne area

    I live in Derby myself and when I read that earlier today I thought "Hello, that sounds nice, I
    wonder where it is?" I didn't realise any of the Sustrans routes were that close.

    Anyway, I was out for a pootle this evening and I suddenly realised I'd stumbled on it by accident!
    Route 6, innit? Very nice too, I went out as far as Breedon on the Hill and then came back by road,
    it was lovely.

    When I have a little more time over the next few days I'll hop on again and explore a bit further
    along. Signposts suggested it goes to Leicester.

    Bob

  11. Simon Geller

    Simon Geller Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:01:13 +0100, "Peter Connolly" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Anyway, I was out for a pootle this evening and I suddenly realised I'd stumbled on it by
    > accident! Route 6, innit? Very nice too, I went out as far as Breedon on the Hill and then came
    > back by road, it was lovely.
    >
    > When I have a little more time over the next few days I'll hop on again and explore a bit further
    > along. Signposts suggested it goes to Leicester.

    It does indeed. The section between Derby & Loughborough is particularly pleasant.

    Simon

  12. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:53:46 +0100, "Simon Geller"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It does indeed. The section between Derby & Loughborough is particularly pleasant.

    Yes, I went a bit further today, to Worthington and back, and it was very nice. Spent 5 minutes
    watching some kind of hawk hovering over fields looking for it's dinner, wish I'd known what it was
    exactly. I'll try the ride out to Loughborough this weekend.

    Bob

  13. "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > We are new to this newsgroup, so apologise if we are are things that have been asked already. We
    > have just bought ourselves two new bicycles. We have not spent a lot of money, but are trying to
    > take up the hobby and hopefully get to see a few nice country sights in the process. We were
    > wondering if you folks could tell us anything about the bicycles we have bought. Are they
    > reliable? If not, what common problems should we expect to see. The bicycles are: Emmelle Gemini &
    > a Falcon Riviera. Thanks for your help in advance.
    >
    > JOHN & LISA

    Oh good! You think it's a hobby. Most here think it's their religion.

  14. >Oh good! You think it's a hobby. Most here think it's their religion.

    Now that is funny :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  15. [email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote in message news:<210ea83.

    > Oh good! You think it's a hobby. Most here think it's their religion.

    It's my hobby and my transport. what's your excuse?

    -Luigi

  16. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    >> We are new to this newsgroup, so apologise if we are are things that have been asked already. We
    >> have just bought ourselves two new bicycles. We have not spent a lot of money, but are trying to
    >> take up the hobby and hopefully get to see a few nice country sights in the process. We were
    >> wondering if you folks could tell us anything about the bicycles we have bought. Are they
    >> reliable? If not, what common problems should we expect to see. The bicycles are: Emmelle Gemini
    >> & a Falcon Riviera. Thanks for your help in advance.

    They're just bikes. Get out and ride. Then tell us your experiences. Mike

  17. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > For plenty more the usual recommended book is Cyclecraft: Skilled Cycling Techniques for Adults,
    > by John Franklin
    >
    > Published by The Stationery Office Books; ISBN: 0117020516

    Which is excellent, but long and not everyone can be bothered even to get it. Myra did her own
    version which may still be here: http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/

    I think it's easier and shorter.

    TerryJ