We cannot all be perfect

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by zambonijones, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. zambonijones

    zambonijones Guest

    In reading a lot of the posts on this messageboard, it would seem as
    though unicycling came to you naturally--that your learning time was
    extremely short. I have to wonder, do I get this impression because
    most people really DO learn it easily, or because most people to whom it
    is difficult and unmanageable give up, never to return?

    In any case, if there are any here who had a rotten time of learning, or
    who feel like their reasonable learning time is vastly longer than the
    general consensus, post here. We can't all be perfect. ((In fact, I
    tend to give more credit to the people who had an awful time learning,
    and stuck to it.))

    Fire away.

    ~Chedd

    --
    zambonijones
    zambonijones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7580

  2. The_SkunkMan

    The_SkunkMan Guest

    I didn't beleive people could learn that fast either. When i found out i
    thought I learned slowly. It took me about a month to learn completely
    on my own when i was 6.

    --
    The_SkunkMan
    The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

  3. bugman

    bugman Guest

    There is actually a thread somewhere with many submisions of learning
    time. The range is pretty significant.

    I know I took more than many here. I think it was over 10 hours. Of
    course that was almost 1 1/2 ago, so it may have been more or less. I
    have not put in the time it takes to learn new skill in a while, so
    although my riding is better, my skill level isn't that much higher.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  4. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    It took me about a month, although i was in my basement, and practicing
    was kinda cramped.

    It took my two converts about two weeks apeice to learn, at 1 or 2 hours
    a day.

    --
    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!

    http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=8w6n8r7c
    Click if you want to join in a web game as my officer.
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  5. bugman

    bugman Guest

    I found it. 'How Long Did It Take You To Learn? Thread'
    (http://tinyurl.com/4sj32)

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with
    his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
    achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Ayn Rand

  6. leo

    leo Guest

    It took me about 20 hours before I could ride 10 meters.
    I think the longer it takes someone to learn, the more happy s/he is
    once the goal is archieved.
    Of all the miraculous fast learners I have seen nobody learning any
    further than just riding forward.

    --
    leo - errorist

    Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
    866-UNI-CYCL
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) (about me)
    'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) (for all unicyclists and
    alike)

    Dutch radio reporter Jaques Chapel in Athens, checking an ISDN line
    before an Olympic radio broadcast while getting used to security
    measures: "and suddenly I have a soldier pointing a machine gun in my
    back. So, I talk English, he shouts Greek. So what do you do? Just
    ignore him and finish the job".
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

  7. I know exactly
    what you mean zambonijones (*ctrl-c -> ctrl-v*).
    It took me a good while to learn to ride. A month (at least).
    You don't have to be a quick learner to ride. You just have to be
    completely determined and able to set your mind on doing things.

    --
    asupercoolguy - Oh, cool! You can change this thing

    Unicycles are cool.
    asupercoolguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4169

  8. pete66

    pete66 Guest

    This is bound to make you feel better; I have witnesses who can confirm
    that one of the Wellington bike trials guys "learned" on his first
    try... ever. On his very first try, he pedalled away, riding parallel
    with a row of posts and then after passing a couple of posts he made a
    purposeful turn right, between a couple of posts and then UPDed a few
    pedals later.

    I think it was his 3rd attempt that he decided he wanted to try
    backwards and went for about 5 full revs... next on the list was hopping
    and he tried for a 40cm up onto a square log, made the height but
    dismounted before regaining balance. He finished off his "night of
    learning" with a 1 metre drop.

    As for me, it took me a week and I was about 11yrs old and learning by
    myself. I can't remember how many hours that would have been, I do
    remember that I came back home knackered and sweating like a monkey
    after each practice session.

    --
    pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
    pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

  9. gasmaster

    gasmaster Guest

  10. leo

    leo Guest

    pete66 wrote:
    > one of the Wellington bike trials... etc

    Same here. I once helped a BMX flatlander. Once he sat in the seat I
    supported him, but each step I made he start to stop using my support
    more and more. After about 7 steps I just let him go. He rode over 10
    meters all by himself. He never tried a unicycle before! But again, if
    you learn this fast... than I am afraid unicycling is no fun anymore I
    think.

    I've mastered all of my 'skills'
    (http://unicyclist.org/cont/standard.cfm) within 7 days except coasting
    (8 days) and side-ride (10 days). But by then I used my brain more than
    nowedays. All skills (except coasting) depend on controlling speed and
    stearing. And no matter how you control speed or stearing...: if you
    fall 3x to a certain side (L or R and/or F or B) think about how to
    change speed/steering such that you will stay on the unicycle!

    As I often say:
    The more you think, the less you have to do.
    Unless all you do is thinking, than you don't do anything anymore.

    And... if progress goes slow you can return home happy more often!

    --
    leo - errorist

    Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
    866-UNI-CYCL
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) (about me)
    'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) (for all unicyclists and
    alike)

    Dutch radio reporter Jaques Chapel in Athens, checking an ISDN line
    before an Olympic radio broadcast while getting used to security
    measures: "and suddenly I have a soldier pointing a machine gun in my
    back. So, I talk English, he shouts Greek. So what do you do? Just
    ignore him and finish the job".
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

  11. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    It's not the learning time of the person that matters, it's the person
    that matters. Some people don't give up, ever, no matter what, and those
    are the people who learn to ride a unicycle.

    --
    James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

  12. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:29:01 -0500, "bugman" wrote:

    >I found it. 'How Long Did It Take You To Learn? Thread'
    >(http://tinyurl.com/4sj32)

    That thread was started by me. The results have been posted on my
    website <http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm>.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe