We don't carry women's bike shorts?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Btsylynn, May 9, 2003.

  1. Btsylynn

    Btsylynn Guest

    I went on a quest to buy bike shorts yesterday. I was at Big 5 shopping for other stuff so I asked
    where they keep the bike shorts. The clerk led me to a rack clearly labelled "MENS BIKE SHORTS". I
    looked at her and said, but I'm a girl!!!! She acted totally baffled and said, "oh, you mean for
    you?" DUH. She then told me they don't carry women's bike shorts... WHY? I was disgusted, put down
    my other purchases and walked out. I'll be shopping at the LBS I guess. Is that generally the only
    place that carries biking-specific clothing?

    determined (yes, I'm a she)

    Tags:

  2. determined says:

    >determined (yes, I'm a she)

    With a name like "Betsy", you should be...

    ;-)

    Steve "I ain't no boy named Sue...."

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    btsylynn wrote:
    > I went on a quest to buy bike shorts yesterday. I was at Big 5 shopping for other stuff so I asked
    > where they keep the bike shorts. The clerk led me to a rack clearly labelled "MENS BIKE SHORTS". I
    > looked at her and said, but I'm a girl!!!! She acted totally baffled and said, "oh, you mean for
    > you?" DUH. She then told me they don't carry women's bike shorts... WHY? I was disgusted, put down
    > my other purchases and walked out. I'll be shopping at the LBS I guess. Is that generally the only
    > place that carries biking-specific clothing?
    >
    > determined (yes, I'm a she)

    So did you smack her?

    what do you expect from GART? See the discussion with Travis over ordering from performance
    and nashbar

    Also www.teamestrogen.com does only girl stuff. The site had a major crash last week, not sure what
    they have up and running yet.

    penny

  4. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Believe it or not, I've seen women's bike shorts with gel padding at Marshall's for half the price
    at the LBS. (I'm a guy shopping along with the wife.)

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "btsylynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I went on a quest to buy bike shorts yesterday. I was at Big 5 shopping
    for
    > other stuff so I asked where they keep the bike shorts. The clerk led me
    > a rack clearly labelled "MENS BIKE SHORTS". I looked at her and said, but I'm a girl!!!! She acted
    > totally baffled and said, "oh, you mean for
    you?"
    > DUH. She then told me they don't carry women's bike shorts... WHY? I
    was
    > disgusted, put down my other purchases and walked out. I'll be shopping
    at
    > the LBS I guess. Is that generally the only place that carries biking-specific clothing?
    >
    > determined (yes, I'm a she)

  5. So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?

    "btsylynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I went on a quest to buy bike shorts yesterday. I was at Big 5 shopping
    for
    > other stuff so I asked where they keep the bike shorts. The clerk led me
    > a rack clearly labelled "MENS BIKE SHORTS". I looked at her and said, but I'm a girl!!!! She acted
    > totally baffled and said, "oh, you mean for
    you?"
    > DUH. She then told me they don't carry women's bike shorts... WHY? I
    was
    > disgusted, put down my other purchases and walked out. I'll be shopping
    at
    > the LBS I guess. Is that generally the only place that carries biking-specific clothing?
    >
    > determined (yes, I'm a she)

  6. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    James Messick wrote:
    > So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?

    The big deal, Delbert, is that women are shaped differently than men. Differently in ways that are
    significant when you're buying lycra shorts. Like having a waist 10 to 12 inches smaller than your
    hips. Next time you're at the LBS, try on a pair of women's shorts and you'll see what I mean.

    Kathleen

  7. Greg Terry

    Greg Terry Guest

    .
    > Next time you're at the LBS, try on a pair of women's shorts and you'll see what I mean.

    They don't carry women's shorts, so I just wear men's. Which fit okay, as I'm a man. Mine goes
    to eleven.

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > James Messick wrote:
    > > So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?
    >
    > The big deal, Delbert, is that women are shaped differently than men. Differently in ways that are
    > significant when you're buying lycra shorts. Like having a waist 10 to 12 inches smaller than your
    > hips. Next time you're at the LBS, try on a pair of women's shorts and you'll see what I mean.

    And post some pics! (Or NOT.)

    Bill "Sideshow Bob shudder" S.

  9. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>James Messick wrote:
    >>
    >>>So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?
    >>
    >>The big deal, Delbert, is that women are shaped differently than men. Differently in ways that are
    >>significant when you're buying lycra shorts. Like having a waist 10 to 12 inches smaller than your
    >>hips. Next time you're at the LBS, try on a pair of women's shorts and you'll see what I mean.
    >

    > And post some pics! (Or NOT.)
    >
    > Bill "Sideshow Bob shudder" S.

    I actually did try on some men's shorts up at the LBS yesterday. Baggies, because although
    they had a couple of different types of women's lycra shorts, they had no female-specific
    baggies a'tall. The shorts had no fly - the waist had a combination elasticated/slide lock
    adjustment that led me to believe that it *might* be adaptable enough to work. Nope. Tried
    on a pair of men's size mediums. I probably could have pulled the waist up over my hips and
    butt if I'd tugged a little, but why risk the seams? Tried on a pair of men's large that
    went on easily enough, but after getting the waist cinched down I had wads of extra fabric
    standing out all the way around. You know how when you jump into the swimming pool wearing
    loose shorts, they trap a bunch of air? That's what these looked like. Which was a shame,
    because I liked the long length and all the zippered pockets, etc. After looking at how they
    were put together, though, I came to the conclusion that I'd be better off starting from
    scratch and making my own shorts rather than trying to dismantle and adjust the ones from
    the store.

    Kathleen

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Kathleen wrote:

    > I actually did try on some men's shorts up at the LBS yesterday. Baggies, because although they
    > had a couple of different types of women's lycra shorts, they had no female-specific baggies
    > a'tall. The shorts had no fly - the waist had a combination elasticated/slide lock adjustment that
    > led me to believe that it *might* be adaptable enough to work. Nope. Tried on a pair of men's size
    > mediums. I probably could have pulled the waist up over my hips and butt if I'd tugged a little,
    > but why risk the seams? Tried on a pair of men's large that went on easily enough, but after
    > getting the waist cinched down I had wads of extra fabric standing out all the way around. You
    > know how when you jump into the swimming pool wearing loose shorts, they trap a bunch of air?
    > That's what these looked like. Which was a shame, because I liked the long length and all the
    > zippered pockets, etc. After looking at how they were put together, though, I came to the
    > conclusion that I'd be better off starting from scratch and making my own shorts rather than
    > trying to dismantle and adjust the ones from the store.
    >
    > Kathleen

    kathleen... we need to work on this together. There are womens baggies out there but I haven't found
    any I like yet, or that I''m willing to fork over $80 for just to deconstuct them to make a pattern.
    I've got the perfect fabric, a 300denier codura that's basically what they are made of. For
    starters, shorten up the front crotch seam and lenthen the back one, and then the thigh will need to
    be adjusted so that it doens't bind on the front as you pedal...

    penny

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > James Messick wrote:
    > > So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?
    >

    > The big deal, Delbert, is that women are shaped differently than men. Differently in ways that are
    > significant when you're buying lycra shorts. Like having a waist 10 to 12 inches smaller than your
    > hips. Next time you're at the LBS, try on a pair of women's shorts and you'll see what I mean.

    What does he know? He's obviously from Mars and doesn't have any aspirations to get to Venus.

    JD

  12. Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote

    > The big deal, Delbert, is that women are shaped differently than men.

    And thank God for that.

    CC

  13. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "btsylynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I went on a quest to buy bike shorts yesterday. I was at Big 5 shopping
    for
    > other stuff so I asked where they keep the bike shorts. The clerk led me
    > a rack clearly labelled "MENS BIKE SHORTS". I looked at her and said, but I'm a girl!!!! She acted
    > totally baffled and said, "oh, you mean for
    you?"
    > DUH. She then told me they don't carry women's bike shorts... WHY? I
    was
    > disgusted, put down my other purchases and walked out. I'll be shopping
    at
    > the LBS I guess. Is that generally the only place that carries biking-specific clothing?
    >
    > determined (yes, I'm a she)

    You could try these guys if you feel like letting your fingers do the walking -
    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/ They're good. And the stuff is good, I've got shirts and shorts
    myself. And they have woman specific stuff. The business doesn't have any physical retail stores -
    so the issue of it being international, isn't. I recommend them. I'd think that the exchange rate
    would do wonders for you too. They say that they have generous fittings, but if I wonder what size
    to order I always get the larger fitting.
    --
    Westie

  14. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > James Messick wrote:
    > > So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?
    >

    > The big deal, Delbert, is that women are shaped differently than men. Differently in ways that are
    > significant when you're buying lycra shorts. Like having a waist 10 to 12 inches smaller than your
    > hips. Next time you're at the LBS, try on a pair of women's shorts and you'll see what I mean.
    >
    > Kathleen

    I tried really hard, Kathleen, I really did. The women's shorts were on a *great* sale, but I
    couldn't get the top-of-the-line Fox baggy shorts to fit right, even in L, XL, just wasn't the same.
    Tight in the wrong places, and loose in others. Go figure.

    Paladin

  15. "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > James Messick wrote:
    > > So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?
    >

    > The big deal, Delbert, is that women are shaped differently than men. Differently in ways that are
    > significant when you're buying lycra shorts. Like having a waist 10 to 12 inches smaller than your
    > hips. Next time you're at the LBS, try on a pair of women's shorts and you'll see what I mean.
    >
    > Kathleen

    Room to grow! I asked to try them on, in the interest of research, at LBS, but all I got were funny
    looks and directions to the nearest exit.