We don't need speed cameras

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm

    Jail threat to 116mph driver

    Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
    magistrates he could go to prison after breaking the speed limit by 76mph. James Green, 18, was
    caught driving a Volkswagen Golf at *116mph on a 40mph road* in the Black Country last July. Green
    from Netherton in Dudley admitted dangerous driving when he appeared at Halesowen magistrates court
    on Friday. His solicitor told the court he was genuinely remorseful, greatly ashamed and
    embarrassed. Green was one of 58 motorists caught speeding in Thorns Road, Quarry Bank, near Dudley
    during the week of the speed trap. *Six were recorded travelling at over 80mph and one was doing
    96mph*. Officers described Green's speed as "phenomenal". The court heard he was driving his
    father's car, a 3.5 litre VW Golf VR6 at the time. He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver
    with a clean driving licence, of good character and with no previous convictions. He was due to have
    an operation in hospital the next day and was said to be taking his last opportunity to drive for
    two months. Green was remanded on unconditional bail and banned from driving, pending an appearance
    in court for sentencing on 26 February.

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  3. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]raven-family.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
    >
    > Jail threat to 116mph driver
    >
    > Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
    > magistrates he could go to prison
    after
    > breaking the speed limit by 76mph.

    Good, but unlikely

    > The court heard he was driving his father's car, a 3.5 litre VW Golf VR6
    at
    > the time. He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver with a clean driving
    licence,

    dangerous f**kwit,

    > of good character and with no previous convictions.

    Only because he hadn't been caught before..

    Hopefully it'll be a very long time before he gets to drive his Dad's car again.....

    Rich

  4. Tony Raven wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
    >
    > Jail threat to 116mph driver
    >
    > Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
    > magistrates he could go to prison after breaking the speed limit by 76mph. James Green, 18, was
    > caught driving a Volkswagen Golf at *116mph on a 40mph road* in the Black Country last July.

    My brother-in-law allowed one of the office juniors to use his BMW while he was on holiday. When he
    got back he had a speeding ticket for 120mph on a 40mph road. Needless to say, the office junior
    ceased to be employed the same day.

  5. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
    >
    > Jail threat to 116mph driver

    [snip tale of 18 year old's lunacy]

    The story doesn't mention talking without consent, or driving without insurance, so I'm assuming dad
    had insured this buffoon for the Golf VR6.

    Insuring a teenager for this kind of car must cost well into 4 figures, surely?

    Tim.

    ---

  6. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]>typed

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm

    > Jail threat to 116mph driver

    > Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
    > magistrates he could go to prison after breaking the speed limit by 76mph. James Green, 18, was
    > caught driving a Volkswagen Golf at *116mph on a 40mph road* in the Black Country last July. Green
    > from Netherton in Dudley admitted dangerous driving when he appeared at Halesowen magistrates
    > court on Friday. His solicitor told the court he was genuinely remorseful, greatly ashamed and
    > embarrassed. Green was one of 58 motorists caught speeding in Thorns Road, Quarry Bank, near
    > Dudley during the week of the speed trap. *Six were recorded travelling at over 80mph and one was
    > doing 96mph*. Officers described Green's speed as "phenomenal". The court heard he was driving his
    > father's car, a 3.5 litre VW Golf VR6 at the time. He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver
    > with a clean driving licence, of good character and with no previous convictions. He was due to
    > have an operation in hospital the next day and was said to be taking his last opportunity to drive
    > for two months. Green was remanded on unconditional bail and banned from driving, pending an
    > appearance in court for sentencing on 26 February.

    Has the speed limit for that road dropped in the last few years? [1]

    I think I was chugging along there (legally) at 65mph just before I passed my driving test...

    [1] I left the area at the end of January 1985...

  7. "Tim Cain" <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Insuring a teenager for this kind of car must cost well into 4 figures, surely?

    Probably, but if it didn't before it surely will now ;-).

    I know that it cost damn near 4-figures to insure my 19 yr old step-daughter to drive her own little
    1 litre Micra, however, it is generally cheaper to add a young driver to your own policy than it is
    to insure them to drive their own car.

    Rich

  8. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:50:33 -0000, "Tim Cain"
    <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >berlin.de...
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
    >>
    >> Jail threat to 116mph driver
    >>
    >[snip tale of 18 year old's lunacy]
    >>

    >The story doesn't mention talking without consent, or driving without insurance, so I'm assuming
    >dad had insured this buffoon for the Golf VR6.
    >
    >Insuring a teenager for this kind of car must cost well into 4 figures, surely?

    Apparently Dad has been nicked as well for interfering with the police investigation

    I always thought that was known as perverting the course of justice .......... a possible lock him
    away jobbie !!

    Still we only kill around 3500 people a year with our cars, so a little bit of speed is
    OK...................

  9. Nobody760

    Nobody760 Guest

    OK Im a cynical old sod. It crosses my mind, what do you think the response would be if you posted
    this in say rec.supa-doopa.cars?

    Yes, its was wrong BUT, infringement of liberty, spying on us tax paying motorists,
    unnecessary intrustion, paying through the nose, moment of madness, my divine right to go
    fast whenever I want, mitigating circumstances....blah....blah...blah.

    Yea I admit it - I am a cynical old sod. I just hope and pray to God that when I'm out on my
    bike that arsehole lets me get a bit older!

  10. Graham

    Graham Guest

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
    >
    > Jail threat to 116mph driver
    >
    > Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
    > magistrates he could go to prison
    after
    > breaking the speed limit by 76mph. James Green, 18, was caught driving a Volkswagen Golf at
    > *116mph on a
    40mph
    > road* in the Black Country last July. Green from Netherton in Dudley admitted dangerous driving
    > when he appeared
    at
    > Halesowen magistrates court on Friday. His solicitor told the court he was genuinely remorseful,
    > greatly ashamed
    and
    > embarrassed. Green was one of 58 motorists caught speeding in Thorns Road, Quarry Bank, near
    > Dudley during the week of the speed trap. *Six were recorded travelling at over 80mph and one was
    > doing 96mph*.
    Officers
    > described Green's speed as "phenomenal". The court heard he was driving his father's car, a 3.5
    > litre VW Golf VR6
    at
    > the time. He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver with a clean driving
    licence,
    > of good character and with no previous convictions. He was due to have an operation in hospital
    > the next day and was said to
    be
    > taking his last opportunity to drive for two months. Green was remanded on unconditional bail and
    > banned from driving, pending
    an
    > appearance in court for sentencing on 26 February.

    I notice a quote from his "Solicitor" in there, that should lessen his chances of leniency then !

    Graham

  11. Willowbeauty

    Willowbeauty Guest

    "Tim Cain" <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
    > >
    > > Jail threat to 116mph driver
    > >
    > [snip tale of 18 year old's lunacy]
    > >

    > The story doesn't mention talking without consent, or driving without insurance, so I'm assuming
    > dad had insured this buffoon for the Golf VR6.
    >
    > Insuring a teenager for this kind of car must cost well into 4 figures, surely?
    >
    > Tim.

    The father was in court on the same day- might provide part of the answer

  12. Gareth A .

    Gareth A . Guest

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:18:37 +0000, Jack Ouzzi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:50:33 -0000, "Tim Cain" <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >>berlin.de...
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
    >>>
    >>> Jail threat to 116mph driver
    >>>
    >>[snip tale of 18 year old's lunacy]
    >>>

    >Still we only kill around 3500 people a year with our cars, so a little bit of speed is
    >OK...................

    The NHS kills 35,000 a year due to malpractice - hey a bit of incompetence is ok! 5,000 are killed
    due to uncleanliness in hospitals, hey a bit of laziness is ok!

  13. Ric

    Ric Guest

  14. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:55:47 -0000, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]>:

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm

    Votes please:

    a) cut off his goolies
    b) shoot him and burn the body
    c) neither
    d) both

    I mistyped neither writing that. Which reminded me: anyone remember the BBC Radio adaptation of Lord
    of the Rings? Ian "Bilbo" Holm as Frodo, and one William Nighy as Master Samwise Gamgee.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  16. On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 20:58:22 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I mistyped neither writing that. Which reminded me: anyone remember the BBC Radio adaptation of
    >Lord of the Rings? Ian "Bilbo" Holm as Frodo, and one William Nighy as Master Samwise Gamgee.

    Also Sir Michael Hordern as Gandalf!

    It rather amused me when I heard Ian Holm was playing Bilbo in the film version. I have a 12" vinyl
    disc of the music from the radio version.

    --
    Keith mailto:[email protected] http://website.lineone.net/~kmidgley

  17. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:29:36 -0000, "nobody760"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yea I admit it - I am a cynical old sod. I just hope and pray to God that when I'm out on
    > my bike that arsehole lets me get a bit older!

    I will second that (not that your a cynical old sod) .......... I lost two very good cycling friends
    in seperate 'hit & runs' and that was enough for me to hang up my racing shoes .............

    Just wanna ride me bike in peace ...................

  18. Jon <[email protected]_of.message>typed

    > Not easy to do 40 mph though (let alone 116 mph) with the traffic levels generated by the Merry
    > Hill shopping complex (was Round Oak Steelworks in your day!).

    Indeed it was!