We don't need speed cameras

Tony Raven

Guest
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm

Jail threat to 116mph driver

Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
magistrates he could go to prison after breaking the speed limit by 76mph. James Green, 18, was
caught driving a Volkswagen Golf at *116mph on a 40mph road* in the Black Country last July. Green
from Netherton in Dudley admitted dangerous driving when he appeared at Halesowen magistrates court
on Friday. His solicitor told the court he was genuinely remorseful, greatly ashamed and
embarrassed. Green was one of 58 motorists caught speeding in Thorns Road, Quarry Bank, near Dudley
during the week of the speed trap. *Six were recorded travelling at over 80mph and one was doing
96mph*. Officers described Green's speed as "phenomenal". The court heard he was driving his
father's car, a 3.5 litre VW Golf VR6 at the time. He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver
with a clean driving licence, of good character and with no previous convictions. He was due to have
an operation in hospital the next day and was said to be taking his last opportunity to drive for
two months. Green was remanded on unconditional bail and banned from driving, pending an appearance
in court for sentencing on 26 February.

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
>
> Jail threat to 116mph driver
>
> Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
> magistrates he could go to prison
after
> breaking the speed limit by 76mph.

Good, but unlikely

> The court heard he was driving his father's car, a 3.5 litre VW Golf VR6
at
> the time. He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver with a clean driving
licence,

dangerous f**kwit,

> of good character and with no previous convictions.

Only because he hadn't been caught before..

Hopefully it'll be a very long time before he gets to drive his Dad's car again.....

Rich

Tony Raven wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
>
> Jail threat to 116mph driver
>
> Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
> magistrates he could go to prison after breaking the speed limit by 76mph. James Green, 18, was
> caught driving a Volkswagen Golf at *116mph on a 40mph road* in the Black Country last July.

My brother-in-law allowed one of the office juniors to use his BMW while he was on holiday. When he
got back he had a speeding ticket for 120mph on a 40mph road. Needless to say, the office junior
ceased to be employed the same day.

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
>
> Jail threat to 116mph driver

[snip tale of 18 year old's lunacy]

The story doesn't mention talking without consent, or driving without insurance, so I'm assuming dad
had insured this buffoon for the Golf VR6.

Insuring a teenager for this kind of car must cost well into 4 figures, surely?

Tim.

---

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]>typed

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm

> Jail threat to 116mph driver

> Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
> magistrates he could go to prison after breaking the speed limit by 76mph. James Green, 18, was
> caught driving a Volkswagen Golf at *116mph on a 40mph road* in the Black Country last July. Green
> from Netherton in Dudley admitted dangerous driving when he appeared at Halesowen magistrates
> court on Friday. His solicitor told the court he was genuinely remorseful, greatly ashamed and
> embarrassed. Green was one of 58 motorists caught speeding in Thorns Road, Quarry Bank, near
> Dudley during the week of the speed trap. *Six were recorded travelling at over 80mph and one was
> doing 96mph*. Officers described Green's speed as "phenomenal". The court heard he was driving his
> father's car, a 3.5 litre VW Golf VR6 at the time. He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver
> with a clean driving licence, of good character and with no previous convictions. He was due to
> have an operation in hospital the next day and was said to be taking his last opportunity to drive
> for two months. Green was remanded on unconditional bail and banned from driving, pending an
> appearance in court for sentencing on 26 February.

Has the speed limit for that road dropped in the last few years? [1]

I think I was chugging along there (legally) at 65mph just before I passed my driving test...

[1] I left the area at the end of January 1985...

"Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Insuring a teenager for this kind of car must cost well into 4 figures, surely?

Probably, but if it didn't before it surely will now ;-).

I know that it cost damn near 4-figures to insure my 19 yr old step-daughter to drive her own little
1 litre Micra, however, it is generally cheaper to add a young driver to your own policy than it is
to insure them to drive their own car.

Rich

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:50:33 -0000, "Tim Cain"
<tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:

>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>berlin.de...
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
>>
>> Jail threat to 116mph driver
>>
>[snip tale of 18 year old's lunacy]
>>

>The story doesn't mention talking without consent, or driving without insurance, so I'm assuming
>dad had insured this buffoon for the Golf VR6.
>
>Insuring a teenager for this kind of car must cost well into 4 figures, surely?

Apparently Dad has been nicked as well for interfering with the police investigation

I always thought that was known as perverting the course of justice .......... a possible lock him
away jobbie !!

Still we only kill around 3500 people a year with our cars, so a little bit of speed is
OK...................

OK Im a cynical old sod. It crosses my mind, what do you think the response would be if you posted
this in say rec.supa-doopa.cars?

Yes, its was wrong BUT, infringement of liberty, spying on us tax paying motorists,
unnecessary intrustion, paying through the nose, moment of madness, my divine right to go
fast whenever I want, mitigating circumstances....blah....blah...blah.

Yea I admit it - I am a cynical old sod. I just hope and pray to God that when I'm out on my
bike that ******** lets me get a bit older!

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
>
> Jail threat to 116mph driver
>
> Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed A teenage motorist has been warned by
> magistrates he could go to prison
after
> breaking the speed limit by 76mph. James Green, 18, was caught driving a Volkswagen Golf at
> *116mph on a
40mph
> road* in the Black Country last July. Green from Netherton in Dudley admitted dangerous driving
> when he appeared
at
> Halesowen magistrates court on Friday. His solicitor told the court he was genuinely remorseful,
> greatly ashamed
and
> embarrassed. Green was one of 58 motorists caught speeding in Thorns Road, Quarry Bank, near
> Dudley during the week of the speed trap. *Six were recorded travelling at over 80mph and one was
> doing 96mph*.
Officers
> described Green's speed as "phenomenal". The court heard he was driving his father's car, a 3.5
> litre VW Golf VR6
at
> the time. He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver with a clean driving
licence,
> of good character and with no previous convictions. He was due to have an operation in hospital
> the next day and was said to
be
> taking his last opportunity to drive for two months. Green was remanded on unconditional bail and
> banned from driving, pending
an
> appearance in court for sentencing on 26 February.

I notice a quote from his "Solicitor" in there, that should lessen his chances of leniency then !

Graham

"Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
> >
> > Jail threat to 116mph driver
> >
> [snip tale of 18 year old's lunacy]
> >

> The story doesn't mention talking without consent, or driving without insurance, so I'm assuming
> dad had insured this buffoon for the Golf VR6.
>
> Insuring a teenager for this kind of car must cost well into 4 figures, surely?
>
> Tim.

The father was in court on the same day- might provide part of the answer

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:18:37 +0000, Jack Ouzzi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:50:33 -0000, "Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>>berlin.de...
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm
>>>
>>> Jail threat to 116mph driver
>>>
>>[snip tale of 18 year old's lunacy]
>>>

>Still we only kill around 3500 people a year with our cars, so a little bit of speed is
>OK...................

The NHS kills 35,000 a year due to malpractice - hey a bit of incompetence is ok! 5,000 are killed
due to uncleanliness in hospitals, hey a bit of laziness is ok!

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:55:47 -0000, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]>:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/3466149.stm

Votes please:

a) cut off his goolies
b) shoot him and burn the body
c) neither
d) both

I mistyped neither writing that. Which reminded me: anyone remember the BBC Radio adaptation of Lord
of the Rings? Ian "Bilbo" Holm as Frodo, and one William Nighy as Master Samwise Gamgee.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 20:58:22 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I mistyped neither writing that. Which reminded me: anyone remember the BBC Radio adaptation of
>Lord of the Rings? Ian "Bilbo" Holm as Frodo, and one William Nighy as Master Samwise Gamgee.

Also Sir Michael Hordern as Gandalf!

It rather amused me when I heard Ian Holm was playing Bilbo in the film version. I have a 12" vinyl
disc of the music from the radio version.

--
Keith mailto:[email protected] http://website.lineone.net/~kmidgley

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:29:36 -0000, "nobody760"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Yea I admit it - I am a cynical old sod. I just hope and pray to God that when I'm out on
> my bike that ******** lets me get a bit older!

I will second that (not that your a cynical old sod) .......... I lost two very good cycling friends
in seperate 'hit & runs' and that was enough for me to hang up my racing shoes .............

Just wanna ride me bike in peace ...................

Jon <see_my.sig@end_of.message>typed

> Not easy to do 40 mph though (let alone 116 mph) with the traffic levels generated by the Merry
> Hill shopping complex (was Round Oak Steelworks in your day!).

Indeed it was!