We got white stuff; I miss the UK

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jtaylor, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Jtaylor

Jtaylor Guest

60-90kmh winds, 50cm of snow, all the schools are cancelled, snowplows aren't allowed out yet as
    they cannot see.

Boo.

Tags:

2. Roos Eisma

Roos Eisma Guest

"jtaylor" <[email protected]> writes:

>60-90kmh winds, 50cm of snow, all the schools are cancelled, snowplows aren't allowed out yet as
    >they cannot see.

I just bought new skitouring boots, I could do with some white stuff!

(to make this cycling related: I did cycle to the shop where I was supposed to pick them up :)

Roos

3. Peter B

Peter B Guest

"jtaylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > 60-90kmh winds, 50cm of snow, all the schools are cancelled, snowplows aren't allowed out yet as
    > they cannot see.

I remember the whiteouts of Ontario and the mega cold of Manitoba where are you?
    --
    Regards, Pete

4. jtaylor wrote:

> 60-90kmh winds, 50cm of snow, all the schools are cancelled, snowplows aren't allowed out yet as
    > they cannot see.
    >

In the 1980s that was cocaine dropped by the nouveau riche Billericay boys ;-)

5. Graeme

Graeme Guest

"jtaylor" <[email protected]> wrote in news:%h3Zb.4343
    [email protected]:

> they cannot see.

Other extreme here, same sentiment though :-/ The schools are also closed because the power company
    don't have the generating capacity to run all the air conditioning units and have told people to
    turn them off. Schools, some shops, businesses and government building seem to be about the only
    ones who have complied.

Graeme

6. Jtaylor

Jtaylor Guest

jtaylor <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > they cannot see.
    >

>
    > Boo.

Followup:

Previous record - 1944, 50 point something centimetres.

Yesterday over 90 cm; more forcast for today, tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday.

7. Popped up the the gym today on the trike. Was in for an hour, and came out to find about a
    centimeter of snow on the seat. This brushed off without a problem. Also traction was fine as long
    as I didn't start off in too low a gear uphill. Brakeing was excellent.

The only problem was that if I got up to any speed, I ran into too many snow flakes which hit my
    eyes, so I ended up cycling along with my hand in front of my face. Will have to find some ski
    goggles for next time.

It was very pretty snow though. It settled very quickly, and will be fun if it freezes overnight.

- Richard

--
    _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
    one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twilight Zone.

8. Mark McN

Mark McN Guest

Reply to Richard Corfield
    > It was very pretty snow though. It settled very quickly, and will be fun if it freezes overnight.
    >
    >

Snow last night, which froze, and trike sitting in the front room. Hooray!

Cold, cough, sinuses/ears totally blocked, weak as a kitten. Boo!

--
    Mark, UK. Nobody can be lucky all the time; so when your luck deserts you in some fashion don't
    think you've been abandoned in your prime but rather that you're saving up your ration.

9. David Martin

David Martin Guest

On 24/2/04 10:25 pm, in article
    [email protected], "Richard
    Corfield" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The only problem was that if I got up to any speed, I ran into too many snow flakes which hit my
    > eyes, so I ended up cycling along with my hand in front of my face. Will have to find some ski
    > goggles for next time.

The trick is finding ski goggles that are neither darkened nor coloured in their clear bits.
    Possibly motorcycle goggles would be better (the sort of thing motorcross riders wear).

Given the relative expense for the amount they are used, you may do quite well scouring the local
    charity shops for a pair.

..d