We have a Federal Election Tomorrow

Howard was in danger of losing his seat - according to the last TV report I saw.
Did he retain his seat even?

Delighted to see that warmonger Howard sent packing : your country has a great history of bravery in many conflicts.

Shame that Howard soiled that history with his warmongering.

limerickman said:
Howard was in danger of losing his seat - according to the last TV report I saw.
Did he retain his seat even?

Delighted to see that warmonger Howard sent packing : your country has a great history of bravery in many conflicts.

Shame that Howard soiled that history with his warmongering.
+1. And its a shame that warmongerers are able to use the bravery shown by nationals/soldiers in past conflicts to rally public support for their warmongering.

It makes me sad to think of all those who lost their lives valiantly in wars gone by, now unable to speak for their opinion of the horrible reality of war, and having their martyrdom and legacy abused as such in war's glorification.

Crankyfeet said:
+1. And its a shame that warmongerers are able to use the bravery shown by nationals/soldiers in past conflicts to rally public support for their warmongering.

It makes me sad to think of all those who lost their lives valiantly in wars gone by, now unable to speak for their opinion of the horrible reality of war, and having their martyrdom and legacy abused as such in war's glorification.

Jeez. What have you guys got against warmongering? Why, it's a national hobby and favorite pastime here in the USofByGodA. It's our Christian duty to kill those that don't do as we tell them. Honest.

Besides, iffin' it weren't for warmongering, how would all those poor, destitute defense contractors survive? And how would people like Bush, Blair, and Howard justify their existence?

So from a US viewpoint, this means that Australia will pull its troops out of Iraq, but leave its troops in Afghanistan.

Was Labor's policy to keep the numbers the same in Afghanistan?

Howard's seat Bennalong is on a knife's edge. They are going to postal votes. Given the implication of a defeat, Labor's Maxine McKew is waiting for Howard to admit defeat. The chances aren't good for Howard and he has implied his impending doom in speeches. We will just have to wait for the final count.

gclark8 said:
Labour voters can afford campy? :eek:

I had you picked as a shimano tourney fan. :D
We buy Ultegra/Chorus rather than Dura Ace/Record and use our savings to help out our neighbours.

But, of course we can afford it, the Unions see to that!

janiejones said:
But, of course we can afford it, the Unions see to that!

what the unions see to is spiralling unemployment. so perhaps you should re-phrase to say 'those who are still employed can afford it'

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
what the unions see to is spiralling unemployment. so perhaps you should re-phrase to say 'those who are still employed can afford it'

--brett
I think you're a little behind the times there - just as Howard's "the unions are coming" fear campaign was based on ancient history.

The foundation for the current situation in regards to both the economy and the stability of the labour market can be attributed to Paul Keating's policies when he was Treasurer and then PM.

The unions haven't been an issue for years (not in the same way they were way back in the '70s and '80s) so all this bleating on about unions and the adverse effect they will suppposedly have on the economy and employment are entirely baseless.

behind what times? that we've had high unemployment under all labour governments in the last say 30 years? it's a simple historical fact. in fact after keating took the reigns and won the 'unwinnable' election against hewson, we had unemployment at nearly 11% at the start of the term and just under 9% when he was voted out. thats around twice todays levels. what keating did do was reduce inflation to around 1% (by the recession we had to have).

i wouldn't see myself as either pro-liberal or pro-labour before i start being accused of being a john howard acolyte. but please lets not start trying to rewrite history here.

i'd certainly like to hope that i'm wrong and also that a labour government can disassociate itself from a union powerbase, but historical data would indicate it's not the short price favourite.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
also that a labour government can disassociate itself from a union powerbase, but historical data would indicate it's not the short price favourite.

--brett
The problem being? and um, it's Labor.

janiejones said:
The problem being? and um, it's Labor.
see my earlier comment regarding levels of unemployment. if you don't see this as an issue i'll wait for for you to grow up and join the real world before debating it further janine.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
...that we've had high unemployment under all labour governments in the last say 30 years? it's a simple historical fact. in fact after keating took the reigns and won the 'unwinnable' election against hewson, we had unemployment at nearly 11% at the start of the term and just under 9% when he was voted out. thats around twice todays levels. what keating did do was reduce inflation to around 1% (by the recession we had to have)...
A self-fulfilling event? When the economy starts to turn down, people start to worry about social security, hence Labor. When we are getting out of a rough trench, people are keen to go for the cash, hence Liberal

Was just at an economic seminar tonight and the guest speaker was pointing out that it was the Keating government that set up the floating dollar and de-restricted foreign capital investment, that permitted us to be a player in the free trade global economy, and then the economic benefits of the last decade. And it was also the Keating that first started the compulsory superannuation scheme that paved the safety net for the aging population. And for the past 11 years of Howard government, it was only in the last 12-18 months did they suddenly turn their attention to this superannuation fund that's so desperately needed for the stability of the country in the years to come. It was only in the last 1/10th of Howard's reign did they suddenly facilitated the inflow of funds into super.

So let's be clear. Not all Labor govts are bad nor all Liberal govts are good. One really need to see beyond the superficial numbers and stats.

sogood said:
...the guest speaker was pointing out that it was the Keating government that set up the floating dollar.....
I thought it was the Hawke government with Keating as treasurer.

Crankyfeet said:
I thought it was the Hawke government with Keating as treasurer.
I stand corrected. The speaker basically was trying to point out to the apparently conservative audience that an incoming Labor government does not necessarily mean it's bad for the economy. As a matter of fact, a Labor government may be more willing to institute fundamental changes that benefits the country's economy in the longer term. Further implied that the good years of the Howard-Costello reins really stemmed from those earlier policy fixes.

janiejones said:
so your one of those who helped stuff up our schools, universities, hospitals, unions, industrial relations...in the name of a strong economy. :mad:

The whole country is scared stupid because interest rates might rise to 7%, what the hell is wrong with this place. Come on people - the Aboriginal population have a 17 year difference in life expectancy compared to, me for example, and the majority of the country is worried about their pointless houses.

you got sucked in by their bright shiny lie, and yes, I do blame you.
Nothing wrong with our schools and universities, last time I checked hospitals are state goverment not federal ( Yes all Labor) Unions have only managed to F#*K most work sites ive been to all the while doing nothing for myself the worker. It is feared now due to the new government that interests rates are estimated to rise to 11% by new years end. ( reliable source, but nothings ever concrete). And due to the unions now coming back to force thewharfies will strike hence our overseas customers will get jack of paying for products that never leave our shore and will look elsewhere which will f#*k our economy as well!!!!

Oh yeah I voted Liberal!!!

mikesbytes said:
So from a US viewpoint, this means that Australia will pull its troops out of Iraq, but leave its troops in Afghanistan.

Was Labor's policy to keep the numbers the same in Afghanistan?
Labor isn't pulling all troops out of Iraq either, they've back tracked on that promice allready. Last time labor was in government they ruined the defence force, it has only just recovered, just in time to be ruined again.

sideshow_bob said:

--brett
Totally agree. See the more unions push for in wages the less likely companies will make a profit and they'll start closeing down. Alot of people think these big companies are makeing billions in profit, this isn't always the case.

Scotttri said:
Totally agree. See the more unions push for in wages the less likely companies will make a profit and they'll start closeing down. Alot of people think these big companies are makeing billions in profit, this isn't always the case.

here a song for you::D :D :D :D :D :D

There is power in a factory, power in the land
Power in the hand of the worker
But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand
There is power in a Union

Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers blood
The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for
From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud
War has always been the bosses way, sir

The Union forever,defending our rights
Down with the blackleg,all workers unite
With our brothers and our sisters from many far-off lands

Now I long for the morning that they realise
Brutality and unjust laws cannot defeat us
But who'll defend the workers who cannot organise
When the bosses send their lackeys out to cheat us?

Money speaks for money,the Devil for his own
Who comes to speak for the skin and the bone?
What a comfort for the widow,a light to the child

The Union forever,defending our rights
Down with the blackleg,all workers unite
With our brothers and our sisters together we will stand

Scotttri said:
Nothing wrong with our schools and universities,
Oh yeah I voted Liberal!!!
nothing wrong with our schools and universities you say - you either finished uni years ago (under Labor), or are too freakin dopey to realise, maybe mummy and daddy paid your rising fees - do you work in a university - they have gone so far down hill in the last ten years.

You have no idea.