We live in America Alan

On Mon, 30 Jun, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:09:15 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Rhyming slang: porkie is 'pork pie' = lie. It's by far the most readily recognised rhyming slang.
>
> Would you adam and eve it. I thought that was dicky dirt, or maybe plates of meat. But perhaps
> I've watched The Italian Job once too often ;-)

That's true, I'd forgotten plates - I'd add that to china and dog. I still stand by porkie as being
by far thje most readily understood.

Adam and Eve I think falls under my category of ones you only ever hear with teh rhyming bit.

regards Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:30:07 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

>You J. Arthur.

Up your Jaffa orange you great factory chimney.

Guy
===

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:48:32 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Adam and Eve I think falls under my category of ones you only ever hear with teh rhyming bit.

I particularly like "aris" for ****, being a double-rhymer (aris-totle, bottle -> bottle &
glass, **** )

Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? must be edykated coz e writed:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:30:07 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> You J. Arthur.
>
> Up your Jaffa orange you great factory chimney.

Your a Berkely and no mistake me old china.

Ian

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:55:55 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Up your Jaffa orange you great factory chimney.

>Your a Berkely and no mistake me old china.

You lose :)

Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? must be edykated coz e writed:

> You lose :)
I only learnt the worse bits, I'm a northerner displaced to Kent, I used to work with someone who
spoke the whole thing all the time, the money was the best thing, I remember someone offering to do
a little job for a cockle, and me just nodding and wandering off to get a translation, here in Kent
it is full of "mockneys".

I think the whole thing started when KK was banned from BROL and popped up here using the cognoman
NOGOSLOW to continue his over the top *****ing and ranting at AA over a race in Switzerland.

If you Brits keep it up we'll start selling Miller Extra pisswater across the pond and see what kind
of cockney slang you can come up after a pints of that **** that American advertising agencies call
beer. Now I think I'll open a properly chilled can of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Mmmmmm, beer!

"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > e v e r y w h e r e surprises you? Afterall G-D is an American, our President and Commander in
> > Chief tells
us
> > this just before we go to every new war and no way our President would
lie
> > to us.
> > *****************
> > "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Didn't you know? America is e v e r y w h e r e ..
> > >
> > > Torben
> >
> A gentle reminder while it's on my mind (see the recent thread complaining about off topic posts)
> that a debate as to America's political
omnipresence
> would probably be best labeled *off topic* in deference to those who
don't
> want to read off topic political threads.
>
> I think the poster quoted in this case was referring to where he and one other person resided when
> he said "Yeah this is America Kevin and if you plan to......" and no political agenda was implied
> until Torben snipped
the

Dave Larrington wrote:

> JetLegs wrote:
>
> > Yeah this is America
>
> Is it? Curiouser and curiouser.

Tony Blair has already been assimilated.

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in news:kj0Ma.3887
[email protected]:

> I have pretty well abandoned organized religion in my life...BUT I cannot run the risk of putting
> the "O" in G-D, just in case HE really does exist and does NOT have a good sense of humor.

If he doesn't have enough of a sense of humor to let you use his name, he's not likely to have
enough of a sense of humor to think creative editing will make a difference.

Personally, I think he's thrashing around on the floor of his throne room, the big chair bust all to
pieces, laughing his heart out at us morons. ILSHIBAMF takes on a greater meaning for deities.

-Bill Hamilton

> Tony Blair has already been assimilated.

I didn't think new loonies were wellcome in your land of the free? But then again, maybe we just
made room for a few when we (re-)imported Peter Lundin and Amdi Petersen.

> e v e r y w h e r e surprises you? Afterall G-D is an American, our President and Commander in
> Chief tells us this just before we go to every new war and no way our President would lie to us.

I don't think G-D would have anything to do with your president (or "mine" for that matter), but I'd
sure like to see him (Bush that is) in a man-to-man battle with Thor (who isn't everywhere, but can
get there if the rainbow follow orders :).

Torben

harv wrote:

> If you Brits keep it up we'll start selling Miller Extra pisswater across the pond and see what
> kind of cockney slang you can come up after a pints of that **** that American advertising
> agencies call beer.

It's already here, but no-one in their right mind drinks it, in spite of the ministrations of my
Spin Doctor chum, the Rt. Hon. Quentin Villiers (a.k.a. "Jim")

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Torben Scheel must be edykated coz e writed:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Tony Blair has already been assimilated.
>
> I didn't think new loonies were wellcome in your land of the free? But then again, maybe we just
> made room for a few when we (re-)imported Peter Lundin and Amdi Petersen.

We call him Vice President Blair in the U.K. now, or Bush's *****.

Ian

> Your a Berkely and no mistake me old china. Ian

Now this wouldn't have anything to do with the old Brit-ish car, the tiny little thing propelled by
a 3-cyl Excelsior 2-stroke? Only a few made.

On Mon, 30 Jun, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:30:07 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >You J. Arthur.
>
> Up your Jaffa orange you great factory chimney.

I've already tried that. They didn't rise (anyway, isn't it 'smokin chimney'?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
> I only learnt the worse bits, I'm a northerner displaced to Kent, I used to work with someone who
> spoke the whole thing all the time, the money was the best thing, I remember someone offering to
> do a little job for a cockle, and me just nodding and wandering off to get a translation, here in
> Kent it is full of "mockneys".

Cockney rhyming slang seems to me to be the most bizarre form of language- mangling I have ever
seen. As far as I can tell, they intentionally choose the strangest "rhymes" and insert them into
their speech purely to confound the listener and generally mess with their heads. Generally that
kind of behavior is associated with teenagers, but rhyming slang seems to infect whole swaths of
English society. Amazing. :)

Gary