We the undersigned... remove VAT on bicycles.

Gareth Dawson

Guest
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Encourage people to
cycle by removing VAT on bicycles, tricycles and human powered
vehicles and on all cycling parts and spares

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NoVATonBikes/

Could make cycling an even cheaper option.

Gareth

Gareth Dawson wrote:
> We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Encourage people to
> cycle by removing VAT on bicycles, tricycles and human powered
> vehicles and on all cycling parts and spares

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Improve the efficiency
of government by going a whole year without passing any micromanaging,
populist, pandering-to-the-minority,
doubtless-to-be-rejigged-the-minute-the-system-actually-adapts-to-them
acts of parliament or departmental regulations and instead commit to
following through on long distance aims, set by the relevant ministers
as part of good cabinet government, and allow for the rebuke of
ministers for changing the goalposts or setting of targets which fail to
account for the actual quality of life improvement delivered.

Not actually registered as a petition yet, and no direct insult to the
abovementioned petition although I very strenuously disagree that anyone
owes cyclists a living, more a point about my dissatisfaction with the
running of this country.

"Gareth Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D8A246D3-A80A-4F41-A645-A96544D7F64A%[email protected]...
> We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Encourage people to
> cycle by removing VAT on bicycles, tricycles and human powered
> vehicles and on all cycling parts and spares
>
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NoVATonBikes/
>
> Could make cycling an even cheaper option.
>
> Gareth

As if......

I'm very sceptical about the worth of any online petition and if the
government appear to be scoffing at the views of 1.2 million plus
signatories to the road charging petition what hope do cyclists have of
getting VAT removed from cycles?

I remember a campaign to get VAT removed from Tampons and other sanitary
products from my days as an undergraduate in the late seventies. Gordon
Brown only got around to reducing to 5% it in 2000 so don't hold your breath
waiting for a reduction and remember that these were essential products, not
luxuries used by a sinificant proportion of the population.

There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent anyway
as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT categories.

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Improve the efficiency
> of government by going a whole year without passing any micromanaging,
> populist, pandering-to-the-minority,
> doubtless-to-be-rejigged-the-minute-the-system-actually-adapts-to-them
> acts of parliament or departmental regulations [...]

Gets my vote. Not that I ever see it happening, though

(And it's not just the current incumbents either. Who remembers the
Dangerous Dogs Act?)

-dan

--
http://www.coruskate.net/

vernon said the following on 13/02/2007 17:10:

> There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent anyway
> as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT categories.

Who is then?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon said the following on 13/02/2007 17:10:
>
>> There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent
>> anyway as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT
>> categories.

> Who is then?

Dunno but no member counry of the EEC can introduce new zero rates.

vernon wrote:
> "Gareth Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D8A246D3-A80A-4F41-A645-A96544D7F64A%[email protected]...
>> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NoVATonBikes/
>>
>> Could make cycling an even cheaper option.

> I remember a campaign to get VAT removed from Tampons and other sanitary
> products from my days as an undergraduate in the late seventies. Gordon
> Brown only got around to reducing to 5% it in 2000 so don't hold your breath
> waiting for a reduction and remember that these were essential products, not
> luxuries used by a sinificant proportion of the population.

Cycling shorts made from Always Ultra? I guess handlebar grips and
bar-ends could also be concealed at 5% VAT too?

Daniel Barlow wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>> We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Improve the efficiency
>> of government by going a whole year without passing any micromanaging,
>> populist, pandering-to-the-minority,
>> doubtless-to-be-rejigged-the-minute-the-system-actually-adapts-to-them
>> acts of parliament or departmental regulations [...]

> Gets my vote. Not that I ever see it happening, though
>
> (And it's not just the current incumbents either. Who remembers the
> Dangerous Dogs Act?)

I think you're remembering something that's happening in 6 month's time
as well, by the looks of things. ;)

I might well put up that petition if I can make it punchy.

Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> of Customer of PlusNet plc
(http://www.plus.net) wrote:

>vernon said the following on 13/02/2007 17:10:
>
>> There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent anyway
>> as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT categories.

>Who is then?

The EC as a whole has a list of categories that can be zero-rated if
countries wish to. That list is for all practical purposes fixed, because
it would be impossible to get all the member states to agree to an addition.
The traditional way round this is to have more than one rate and apply a
very low rate to things a state would like to zero rate.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

vernon wrote on 13/02/2007 17:50 +0100:
> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> vernon said the following on 13/02/2007 17:10:
>>
>>> There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent
>>> anyway as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT
>>> categories.

>> Who is then?

> Dunno but no member counry of the EEC can introduce new zero rates.

But if they were those carrot fibre bikes you could classify them as
food which is zero rated ;-)

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Steph Peters wrote:
> Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> of Customer of PlusNet plc
> (http://www.plus.net) wrote:
>
>> vernon said the following on 13/02/2007 17:10:
>>
>>> There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent
>>> anyway as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT
>>> categories.

>> Who is then?

> The EC as a whole has a list of categories that can be zero-rated if
> countries wish to. That list is for all practical purposes fixed,
> because it would be impossible to get all the member states to agree
> to an addition. The traditional way round this is to have more than
> one rate and apply a very low rate to things a state would like to
> zero rate.

Not quite.
The 5% rate has a list of things permitted within the EU, and that's the
list which is impossible to change for the reason quoted. Countries may
charge any rate between 5% and 15% for items on that list, but may only set
two rates.

The 0% rate is a special historical temporary arrangement for the UK and
Ireland. I think that "temporary" is almost infinitely long if the UK
government chooses it to be (and ditto for the Irish government). If the
government takes an item out of the zero band, it cannot put it back (hence
household heating, which one government put under full VAT was reduced to 5%
by this government, not zero as it was not permitted to go back to zero)

The standard rate is at least 15%. In practise its between 15% and 25%
depending on country and item in question.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/index_en.htm

- Nigel

> vernon wrote on 13/02/2007 17:50 +0100:
>> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Who is then?

>> Dunno but no member counry of the EEC can introduce new zero rates.
>>

> But if they were those carrot fibre bikes you could classify them as food
> which is zero rated ;-)

Now there's a thought, integral bonk rations ;-)

On 13 Feb, 17:10, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Gareth Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

> There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent anyway
> as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT categories.

Huh?

Citation please.

"raisethe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 13 Feb, 17:10, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Gareth Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>> There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent
>> anyway
>> as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT categories.

> Huh?
>
> Citation please.

Google for zero VAT rating and you'll eventually turn up the details on a
treasury or government web site.

Trust me. I'm a teacher ;-)

-=V=-

raisethe wrote:
> On 13 Feb, 17:10, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Gareth Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>> There isn't the possibility to reduce VAT on bikes to zero percent
>> anyway as the goverment isn't allowed to introduce new zero VAT
>> categories.

> Huh?
>
> Citation please.

My postings on this thread will give you a good start., including EU
documentation.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:57:57 GMT, Ambrose Nankivell
<firstname+'n'@gmail.com> said in
<[email protected]>:

>We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Improve the efficiency
>of government by going a whole year without passing any micromanaging,
>populist, pandering-to-the-minority,
>doubtless-to-be-rejigged-the-minute-the-system-actually-adapts-to-them
>acts of parliament or departmental regulations and instead commit to
>following through on long distance aims, set by the relevant ministers
>as part of good cabinet government, and allow for the rebuke of
>ministers for changing the goalposts or setting of targets which fail to
>account for the actual quality of life improvement delivered.

Or: We the undersigned will slap the government with a wet trout if
they so much as think of solving any more problems of their own
invention.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

vernon wrote:
> Google for zero VAT rating and you'll eventually turn up the details on a
> treasury or government web site.
>
> Trust me. I'm a teacher ;-)

And I have to brush up on the Customs & Excise VAT guidelines every so
often when writing and testing software for VAT calculations (they
change the rules from time to time to keep us on our toes). I remember
coming across similar information.

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:58:59 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>vernon wrote on 13/02/2007 17:50 +0100:
>> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Who is then?

>> Dunno but no member counry of the EEC can introduce new zero rates.
>>

>But if they were those carrot fibre bikes you could classify them as
>food which is zero rated ;-)

They'd get classified as carrot cake though and attract 17.5%. It's
the Jaffa cake thing all over again.

Tim

On Feb 13, 4:30 pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:57:57 GMT, Ambrose Nankivell
> <[email protected]> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Improve the efficiency
> >of government by going a whole year without passing any micromanaging,
> >populist, pandering-to-the-minority,
> >doubtless-to-be-rejigged-the-minute-the-system-actually-adapts-to-them
> >acts of parliament or departmental regulations and instead commit to
> >following through on long distance aims, set by the relevant ministers
> >as part of good cabinet government, and allow for the rebuke of
> >ministers for changing the goalposts or setting of targets which fail to
> >account for the actual quality of life improvement delivered.

> Or: We the undersigned will slap the government with a wet trout if
> they so much as think of solving any more problems of their own
> invention.
>
> Guy
> --
> May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> 85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

'slapped with a wet trout', i am so pinching that :D

and I've not paid VAT on a bike or parts for 5 years as everything
bike related I need I get 'second hand' from Oregon.

In article <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer
[email protected] says...
> vernon wrote:
> > Google for zero VAT rating and you'll eventually turn up the details on a
> > treasury or government web site.
> >
> > Trust me. I'm a teacher ;-)

> And I have to brush up on the Customs & Excise

ITYM HMRC :)