We tried to tell them ...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancy Young, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    ... you know, those evil people who microwave popcorn with
    the fake butter. It stinks and it's icky!

    A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs were
    damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a popcorn
    factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to follow.

    nancy

    Tags:

  2. Doc

    Doc Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > ... you know, those evil people who microwave popcorn with
    > the fake butter. It stinks and it's icky!
    >
    > A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs were
    > damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a popcorn
    > factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to follow.

    From what I understand, oil mist in general is a known
    carcinogen. You need to be careful when using lubricant
    sprays like WD-40 etc.

  3. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Nancy Young <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > ... you know, those evil people who microwave popcorn with
    > the fake butter. It stinks and it's icky!
    >
    > A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs were
    > damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a popcorn
    > factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to follow.
    >
    > nancy

    Any idea on how badly his lungs were damaged? I wonder if
    it's cancer. I don't care much for the microwave popcorn but
    I do buy it sometimes at work and throw it in the microwave.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > ... you know, those evil people who microwave popcorn with
    > the fake butter. It stinks and it's icky!
    >
    > A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs were
    > damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a popcorn
    > factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to follow.

    I heard a news item about that on the radio the other day.
    It seems that a bunch of workers got a lung problem that is
    associated with the oils they use for the microwave popcorn.

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Dog3 wrote:

    > Nancy Young <[email protected]> deliciously
    > posted in

    > > ... you know, those evil people who microwave popcorn
    > > with the fake butter. It stinks and it's icky!
    > >
    > > A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs
    > > were damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a
    > > popcorn factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to
    > > follow.

    > Any idea on how badly his lungs were damaged? I wonder if
    > it's cancer. I don't care much for the microwave popcorn
    > but I do buy it sometimes at work and throw it in the
    > microwave.

    You know, I just caught a blurb on one of those morning
    shows, no details. I was mostly goofing about the fact that
    we complain about people who microwave butter flavor popcorn
    at work. However, as someone said, I think it is about
    people who spend all day, day after day, spraying that
    stuff. I can't imagine they weren't made to wear breathing
    masks and eye protection? I don't think microwaving a bag of
    already sprayed popcorn has the same issues.

    nancy

  6. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "Dog3" wrote in message >

    > Any idea on how badly his lungs were damaged? I wonder if
    > it's cancer. I don't care much for the microwave popcorn
    > but I do buy it sometimes at
    work
    > and throw it in the microwave.
    >
    > Michael

    The original report I heard ended it by saying it does not
    affect individuals who buy the individual bags of microwave
    popcorn. I don't know why that is the case, unless it's
    limited exposure. My first thought was that it would apply
    to movie house popcorn, but that's also popped in a
    confined space. I realize it is affecting the people who
    spray the stuff.

    Dora

  7. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "Doc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]th.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > ... you know, those evil people who microwave popcorn
    > > with the fake butter. It stinks and it's icky!
    > >
    > > A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs
    > > were damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a
    > > popcorn factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to
    > > follow.
    >
    > From what I understand, oil mist in general is a known
    > carcinogen. You
    need
    > to be careful when using lubricant sprays like WD-40 etc.

    Doesn't WD-40 now come in a garlic scented spray?

  8. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > Dog3 wrote:
    >
    >>Nancy Young <[email protected]> deliciously
    >>posted in
    >

    >>>... you know, those evil people who microwave popcorn
    >>>with the fake butter. It stinks and it's icky!
    >>>
    >>>A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs were
    >>>damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a popcorn
    >>>factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to follow.
    >

    >>Any idea on how badly his lungs were damaged? I wonder if
    >>it's cancer. I don't care much for the microwave popcorn
    >>but I do buy it sometimes at work and throw it in the
    >>microwave.
    >

    > You know, I just caught a blurb on one of those morning
    > shows, no details. I was mostly goofing about the fact
    > that we complain about people who microwave butter
    > flavor popcorn at work. However, as someone said, I
    > think it is about people who spend all day, day after
    > day, spraying that stuff. I can't imagine they weren't
    > made to wear breathing masks and eye protection? I don't
    > think microwaving a bag of already sprayed popcorn has
    > the same issues.
    >
    > nancy
    According to a new report...the workers were not given
    respirators because the firm didn't consider it to be
    hazardous. They were apparently aware of a medical study
    showing the harmful effects of the "butter" flavor, but they
    dismissed it as unlikely. Thus...they are "guiltier" if I
    may than they would be if they had not been warned.

    --
    RUDE BABIES & LITTLE PUSSY SPORTSWEAR

    Funny shirts for babies & their moms
    http://www.cafeshops.com/rudebabies

  9. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "limey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dog3" wrote in message >
    > > >

    > > Any idea on how badly his lungs were damaged? I wonder
    > > if it's cancer.
    > > don't care much for the microwave popcorn but I do buy
    > > it sometimes at
    > work
    > > and throw it in the microwave.
    > >
    > > Michael
    >
    > The original report I heard ended it by saying it does not
    > affect individuals who buy the individual bags of
    > microwave popcorn. I don't
    know
    > why that is the case, unless it's limited exposure. My
    > first thought was that it would apply to movie house
    > popcorn, but that's also popped in a confined space. I
    > realize it is affecting the people who spray the stuff.
    >
    > Dora

    There are plenty of things that are benign or useful in
    small quantities that are harmful in larger quantities or if
    they are used in a different way.

    That stuff wasn't meant to be inhaled in large quantities,
    it was meant to be eaten in small quantities.

  10. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Dennis wrote:

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    > > You know, I just caught a blurb on one of those morning
    > > shows, no details. I was mostly goofing about the fact
    > > that we complain about people who microwave butter
    > > flavor popcorn at work. However, as someone said, I
    > > think it is about people who spend all day, day after
    > > day, spraying that stuff. I can't imagine they weren't
    > > made to wear breathing masks and eye protection? I don't
    > > think microwaving a bag of already sprayed popcorn has
    > > the same issues.

    > According to a new report...the workers were not given
    > respirators because the firm didn't consider it to be
    > hazardous. They were apparently aware of a medical study
    > showing the harmful effects of the "butter" flavor, but
    > they dismissed it as unlikely. Thus...they are "guiltier"
    > if I may than they would be if they had not been warned.

    Isn't that so unbelievable as to be ridiculous? Where's
    Dilbert when you need him? They dismissed it as unlikely.
    Well, la de dah. Where was their insurance company when it
    counted? Were they insured by Joe's insurance and bait shop?

    nancy

  11. Doc

    Doc Guest

    "Jarkat2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I wonder if they would even tell is if it did.

    3 guesses....They're certainly not going to lay down the red
    carpet for a class action lawsuit that would surely put them
    out of business.

  12. Jon Leipzig

    Jon Leipzig Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > ... you know, those evil people who microwave popcorn with
    > the fake butter. It stinks and it's icky!
    >
    > A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs were
    > damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a popcorn
    > factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to follow.

    Hadn't heard of that award. This article's only a few days
    old, doesn't mention it.

    Popcorn Vapour May Be Linked To Lung Disease

    http://tinyurl.com/2s9y6

    ps: If diacetyl's the culprit, then some margarines are
    potentially unsafe. Some mfgr's add diacetly to give it
    a buttery taste.

  13. Kswck <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Doc" <[email protected]> wrote
    >in message news:[email protected]
    >thlink.net...
    >> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > A guy has been awarded $20 million because his lungs
    >> > were damaged by the fake butter ... he worked in a
    >> > popcorn factory. More lawsuits by his coworkers to
    >> > follow.

    It's not butter, it's a chemical. Popcorn (and boiled corn)
    don't need butter. Just salt. Maybe pepper if the corn is
    really sweet.

    >> From what I understand, oil mist in general is a known
    >> carcinogen. You
    >need
    >> to be careful when using lubricant sprays like WD-40 etc.

    Oil smoke. The quote from the doctors who did the study is,
    "if you walk into a restaurant and you can smell burned oil,
    turn around and walk out immediately."

    >Doesn't WD-40 now come in a garlic scented spray?

    It's a dessert topping *AND* a floor wax!

    --Blair "Puppy uppers."

  14. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Blair P. Houghton wrote:

    > Oil smoke. The quote from the doctors who did the study
    > is, "if you walk into a restaurant and you can smell
    > burned oil, turn around and walk out immediately."
    >

    >>Doesn't WD-40 now come in a garlic scented spray?
    >

    > It's a dessert topping *AND* a floor wax!
    >
    > --Blair "Puppy uppers."

    "The world famous Professor Backwards lost his life in
    a house fire. His life could not be spared, as
    neighbors refused to reply to his calls of 'Pleh!
    Pleh!'" --Chevy Chase

    Best regards, Bob

    --
    "Mmmm... That's good bass!"

  15. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

    > >> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >> message

    > It's not butter, it's a chemical.

    Hence my use of the word fake before butter.

    nancy