Weak Hamstrings

velohiker

Dec 13, 2007
When I train extremely hard or race I normally blast my hamstrings and glutes to the point where it takes a couple of days of continual stretching to recover. I'm 53 and have only started racing in this past year and I was wondering if this indicates overly weak hamstrings or a problem with my spin. Quads never seem to be a problem. Also in the gym I cannot lift very much weight when doing exercises that hit the hamstrings. Can anyone suggest some exercises or routines that can help strengthen the hamstrings?

Thanks

I would try lowering my seat a bit and/or take Hyaluronic acid on training days to keep tendons hydrated.

velohiker said:
When I train extremely hard or race I normally blast my hamstrings and glutes to the point where it takes a couple of days of continual stretching to recover. I'm 53 and have only started racing in this past year and I was wondering if this indicates overly weak hamstrings or a problem with my spin. Quads never seem to be a problem. Also in the gym I cannot lift very much weight when doing exercises that hit the hamstrings. Can anyone suggest some exercises or routines that can help strengthen the hamstrings?

Thanks

velohiker said:

Thanks

Deadlifts target the hamstrings, glutes and lower back - muscles needed by all cyclists.

http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyworkouts/ss/deadlifts.htm

Not sure if this will help much. I agree with the previous post that deadlifts are a good exercise for the hamstrings. I regularly do box squats, deads and good mornings, but cycling isn't my only interest. One of my favorite pieces of equipment to isolate the hamstrings is the Glute-Ham Raise machine (GHR). You can perform a bunch of different exercises on it including the glute ham raise. I hope that doesn't sound too confusing. If you can get access to one for a while I think you'd find it worthwhile.